PDA

View Full Version : Steel Rim Paint

Tomster
11-02-2006, 02:43 PM
After blasting many layers of paint off of my steel 4A rims it's now time to re paint.
Any recommendations of paint type(s)?
Undercoatings?
The 4A is Red with black interior. The predominate past rim colour was black but there was one "round" of cream which is not to my liking
Has any one photo's of alternate rim colours or trims?

swift6
11-02-2006, 03:38 PM
That 'Cream' color was probably an off white (looks very cream like). You might try going with a silver wheel color like TR6s used. Argent Silver is an identical match and can be found in a rattle can at most auto parts stores. Just my $.02 though.

Adrio
11-02-2006, 03:47 PM
My TR4A came with several rims (16 to be exact) which I sold and went with wires. Anyway to get to your question, most of them were silver but one set of four were black (with the white underneath as you describe).

aeronca65t
11-02-2006, 04:02 PM
I race on ordinary steel wheels and I have the rims painted flat silver with the centers painted gloss black.
It's just a "look" that I like
(I notice that UPS trucks use this same color scheme, but I had it first! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif )

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/EMRA_05/sprite-close-side.jpg

DonaldA
11-02-2006, 04:07 PM
I have just recently finished rebuilding my TR 6, and had my rims blasted and powder coated rather than painted. I am very satisfied with the results

TR6oldtimer
11-02-2006, 04:12 PM
The 64 TR4 I had in '68 was red with black rims. I wanted wires as on these cars they look natural, but I could only afford paint, so on went the silver.

BritBox
11-02-2006, 05:34 PM
After hot-tanking my TR250's steel wheels, I used a Krylon "Professional" spray-can enamel. The color was Stainless Steel, which I liked because it's a little warmer and less overtly metallic than typical aluminum or, God forbid, chrome spray finishes. The cans are bigger than regular spray paint. I think I got it at Lowe's. I should mention that I use "incorrect" TR4-style hubcaps on my car instead of the original fake mag Rostyle covers.

If you go to my site here:

https://www.thebritbox.com/britboxsfavoritetr250.htm

and scroll about halfway down, you will see images of my car when it was almost finished, and before I put the hubcaps on it.

Regards,

Andrew Mace
11-02-2006, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That 'Cream' color was probably an off white (looks very cream like)....

[/ QUOTE ]Right. It was Triumph's Spa White, but the point is moot unless you're going "Concours"!

Tomster
11-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks to all for your comments.

cyaker
11-03-2006, 07:25 PM
One thought, Are you sure they run true. I made the mistake of having a set blasted and painted without checking. But when I got to mounting the new rubber, one was so far off it would not balance. Have another set on my parts car, so I will be checking those and selecting the best for final use.