PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this?

LastDeadLast
10-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Just pa-rousing Ebay and ran across this.. interesting.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-T...1QQcmdZViewItem (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-TR6-Roll-Bar-hoops-VERY-COOL-AND-UNIQUE-ITEM_W0QQitemZ130042299773QQihZ003QQcategoryZ34206 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

YankeeTR
10-29-2006, 10:57 PM
They look like exhaust u-bends that are used for custom header and exhaust work...I think they should be a little wider but, cosmetically, they don't look too bad.

EZ to home fabricate...

LastDeadLast
10-29-2006, 10:58 PM
I agree, they would look better a bit wider, but I think I like the look better than the standard roll bar.

Andrew Mace
10-30-2006, 08:12 AM
With all due respect, what's the point of "cosmetic" roll bars? unless they provide attachment points for papier-mache racing harnesses.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

tomshobby
10-30-2006, 08:41 AM
My TR4 once landed on it's top. I did not have a roll bar and the windshield frame was flattened. It actually added to the danger. Consequently a cosmetic roll bar concerns me for the same reason.

My TR6 came with a "poser" roll bar and I have been strongly thinking of removing it which I believe would make the car safer. Less to fold up and invade the interior in case of a roll-over.

Then again a roll-over in a TR without a real roll bar is not a good thing anyway. The only thing that saved me, and it was even then a very close call, was that I exited the vehicle before it landed on the top. Which is not usually a good thing but worked for me. I actually released my seat belt, opened the door, and got out while it was in the air and still upright. No, I did not receive any frequent flyer miles.

PeterK
10-30-2006, 09:03 AM
Although I disagree with some about the benefits of a non-frame mounted rollbar, these (ebay) items are a joke as far as protection; these are simply for looks.

A non-frame mounted rollbar (like autopower street bar) can benefit if it is mounted with proper backup plates, is designed to mount on more than one plane (i.e. floor mount or inner fender AND rear shelf mount) to provide triangulation for strength, and is properly braced between the legs of the hoop.. This is mandatory to provide any strength.

I am not surprised that the windsheld could flip flat in a roll over accident. So IMO, ANY protection from a rollbar is better than none as long as its design and construction follows the rules for strength. The ebay hoops fail all tests in my view.

JamesWilson
10-30-2006, 09:22 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

A poser bar would be a better name.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Each of the roll hoops is actually 2 pieces, the top part if pulled up will raise up about 12 inch. more in hieght to give you a choice of height. In the picture they are all the way down. The top part is a slightly larger pipe size than the base pipe

[/ QUOTE ]

A big, black trombone roll over bar. I suppose it won't be so likely to "mousetrap" the occupants then.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As far as safety goes its a joke.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Tomster
10-30-2006, 10:02 AM
tomshobby, How in the world?
"I actually released my seat belt, opened the door, and got out while it was in the air and still upright."
V E R Y wide but shallow chasm?

VitSport6
10-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Its already been gone over but the mounting pads are way too small IMHO and taking in to account on how Triumphs rust, I wouls have larger pads and or connect the two pieces together.
I know this would be WAY overkill...But this is what I have for my family in our Landcruiser with a soft top, You can never be too careful when your life is at stake.
https://static.flickr.com/1/122359793_954b6bb1d0_o.jpg
Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

LastDeadLast
10-30-2006, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is getting so upset... 90% of the roll-bars on the TR cars are for aesthetics only and these are no different. I'm only interested in the look not racing.

Any Roll bar that is useful would prevent the use of the top anyway.

tomshobby
10-30-2006, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tomshobby, How in the world?
"I actually released my seat belt, opened the door, and got out while it was in the air and still upright."
V E R Y wide but shallow chasm?

[/ QUOTE ]

The story takes more time to tell than the actual time of the accident.

I was only going 50-55 miles an hour and met a car on a "Y" turn. The bright lights from the oncoming car blinded me and intending to drive by on the right I actually went off the road and through a snow fence, off a earth ramp out into a freshly plowed field. The car was airborne for a few seconds and being dark I thought it had stopped, so I got out. It was a ways to the ground but the loose earth broke my fall and I was not injured. The car landed so close on both sides as it bounced along that if I had had my arms out instead of under me it would landed on both of them. All in all the car went end-over-end, front right corner over left rear corner, and over sideways landing on the wheels.

I got up and found the car in the dark, the lights were still on, and tried to drive the car to go after the car that I had met. I drove around in the field but could not find a way to get to the road.

When the police came they had a heck of a time figuring it all out. The fence did not appear broken and they did not believe I had come from that direction. After some argument they took a closer look and found that all the slats in the fence were broken and had went back together after I had went through it.

I got no ticket, the insurance company was OK with it all, and the car was repaired to great condition. The car did require almost an entirely new body, windshield assembly, and a tie-rod link. Everything else was fine. If I remember correctly the boot lid was not damaged.

BTW, it was the same '64 BRG TR4 that is on the second page of my web site. Those pics taken some time after it was repaired.

PeterK
10-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Wow. You really had everthing going for you - the snow fence slowing you down as well as the earth ramp, then landing in plowed soft field.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

tomshobby
10-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Just real lucky to be alive and able to see some humor in it!

More than anything I was fortunate to not have been driving at the speeds I usually did in those days and that I was alone!

Tomster
10-30-2006, 02:41 PM
So do you tap around with your tootsies everytime you get out of the car now?
Or do you continue to risk all by just "bailing" ?

tomshobby
10-30-2006, 03:52 PM
I have a rope ladder that I drop over the side just in case!