PDA

View Full Version : converable top front seal - HOW DOES IT GO ON?

Adrio
10-29-2006, 09:17 AM
I have just installed a new soft top on my TR4A and am now trying to figure out how to get the rubber seal into the little channel that is rivited to the front part of the top frame. I think this is the same rubber seal as on a TR6 as well.
Can anyone PLEASE help me here. I am at a loss as it just seems to not want to go in there. Does in go in from the end and pulled through (it seems way too tight for that) or does it somehow get "pushed" in all along.
I at at the end of my rope with this top installation so any tip would be appreciated.

LastDeadLast
10-29-2006, 09:32 AM
I just did this a couple months ago... Place the seal over the track and using a blunt screwdriver, push one side in. Do this until you've done the entire seal and trim off the excess.

It took me over an hour to do this.. very tedious

gsalt57tr3
10-29-2006, 09:55 AM
OK, here's a trick from the bicycling community:

Those skinny tires go on those skinny rims really, really hard, especially when they are brand new.

Most bike shops have a box of corn starch and sprinkle some on the tire to make it ease onto the rim, acting as a dry lubricant. Now I have not tried this on my TR3, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

TheAssociate
10-29-2006, 11:59 AM
I just did this for my '72 Spitfire. Last Dead Last is right. The only difference is I sprayed WD40 all over before I installed(why not). Makes this task easy.

Angle the rubber piece as you go along so that the bottom side(the side you can't see) goes into the track. Then simply pop the side you can see into the track with the screwdriver. You will work along about half an inch at a time. Took me about 20 minutes.

Adam H.
__________________________________________________ __________
1972 Triumph Spitfire.

Adrio
10-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the tips folks. I fought my way through it and between the soap and WD40 I got it done in about an hour. It was raining today so I got to test the new roof.