PDA

View Full Version : Can valve settings affect compression?

10-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Just wondering, I'm getting a popping sound on acceleration and found that #6 plug is fouling slightly. Guess I should check and see if any of my valve settings are off. Can a valve that is opening or closing wrong affect plug color and maybe affect combustion. And because compression check will be accurate only with a properly closing valve, can a slightly off setting get a lower compression? I have yet to run a compression check to compare and am too lazy to pull the valve cover off to reset my valves. Just trying to work this out in my head before I get greasy on Sunday.

Bill

DougF
10-29-2006, 02:52 AM
Put your stethoscope to #6 at idle and listen for the pop.
It could be a valve adjusting nut loosened.
I would pull the valve cover regardless, just to make sure that nothing potentially expensive happens.
If not valves, check your plug for damage.

NickMorgan
10-29-2006, 06:21 AM
You could have an exhaust valve that is sticking slightly in its guide, you could have the valve badly out of adjustment or you could have a problem on the ignition side of things. A compression test would help and as already suggested take off the valve cover and check the valves on that cylinder.

Brosky
10-29-2006, 09:12 AM
The only way it can hurt compression is if it's too tight and holding a valve open. I like Doug's idea.

trfourtune
10-30-2006, 11:14 AM
if you have a burned valve or seat is shot then you can lose compression
rob