PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 simple electrical question

prb51
10-25-2006, 12:26 PM
I have a 56 TR3 with the original harness set up (works fine) and need to tie in some original SLR spot driving lamps. Where did the Factory/dealerships of the day tie into power?
Thanks

10-25-2006, 06:10 PM
For Fogs we Recommend,
[ QUOTE ]
STEADY POWER SOURCE: If it is preferred to wire the
relays to a steady power source, there are two options -
switched or un-switched power. In a British car, switched
power can be found by connecting to any convenient green
wire. Un-switched power in a British car can be found by
connecting to any convenient purple wire.

[/ QUOTE ]

For Headlights:

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/bramafear/Mcce/powersource.jpg

Cheers!
Mike

Banjo
10-25-2006, 06:27 PM
I normally run the main power feed from one of the the feed side terminals of the starter solenoid (first connection off the battery), then have an inline fuse for the driving lights.
Definatly use a relay setup. It's safer.

MDCanaday
10-25-2006, 09:30 PM
It wont matter how you hook it up, the generator will quit when you try to run at night. Get an alternator. I like the relay suggestion,and for looks add a second fuse block like the original, inline fuses are tacky.
MD(mad dog)

prb51
10-26-2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks Gents. I know the factory rally TR3's ran the spot/fog set up on the generator. I do have an alternator but have not put it in as yet. I'll try the gen first for fun but will fuse it (The senior Lucas on his death bed to his son..."Don't drive at night, it's dangerous")

Andrew Mace
10-26-2006, 09:27 AM
A generator will be JUST FINE! These are period lights (even if you do use a modern halogen bulb in them), not Cibie Super Oscars or aircraft landing lights!