PDA

View Full Version : Importing a car....

macino62
10-25-2006, 08:46 AM
Hey Guys,

I posted this over in the "Other Cars" section, but it doesn't appear to garner much attention over there.

I've been salivating over the TVR Taimar Turbo for probably 10 years now (since I was in elementary school....) Anyway, I am considering attempting to import a Turbo from England. Has anybody imported a car (older than 25 years) from abroad? Also, how does the title process work, once it's in the US?

Thanks, Mike
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

prb51
10-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Mike,
Does this vehicle meet all of the US vehicular laws (emissions, safety bumpers, restraints, air bags, glass, etc) that were on the books when it was built. If not it will be denied licensing unless upgraded and that is expensive if do able at all. Occasionally you will see 'black market' cars for sale that have slipped into the country but if caught a fine and other hassles ensue. If it meets US standards you are ok. I've imported older cars (1962 Maserati, no issues with licensing at that age/date anything from 68 and later check) but each country is dif (titles)and that car came from Italy. I was issued an export title (made from the Italian Title) with the bill of sale and had no problem converting that to an Indiana title.

macino62
10-25-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't think it will be any problem meeting safety and emissions laws....the 25 year exemption will cover just about everything on there. Also, Indiana is really lax about titling cars....in fact, if I wanted to, I could build my own car, stamp my own VIN plate, and have a state police officer inspect it for seat belts, headlights, and turnsignals...and be good to go.

Thanks for your great post....the main concern I had would be the transfer of the English title to the US. (I now understand the export title...)

Thanks again....