PDA

View Full Version : TR6 SU Choke Cables for a TR6

jmayled
10-24-2006, 10:51 PM
I've recently added SU carbs to my 75 TR6, only to find that the sotck Triumph choke cables will not reach the front carb.

Can anyone tell me where I can find a viable alternative?

DNK
10-24-2006, 11:09 PM
J- Doesn't the SU's only use 1 choke cable?
Don

ROADSTR6
10-25-2006, 06:21 AM
If you just choke one carb it should still work fine. Have you tried it?

Dave

Terry_Geiger
10-25-2006, 04:21 PM
At the risk of being shot for treason, I used an MGB choke cable for my dual SU installation. It is long enough to easily attach to the front SU and pull the choke. There should be linkage between the chokes that tie the chokes together so you only have to pull the choke lever on one carb to choke both carbs.

philman
10-25-2006, 08:27 PM
when put twin su's on my tr7 i only ran a choke cable to the front carb and the linkage between the carbs engaged the rear carb. i used one of the "universal" cables available at autozone, etc.

DNK
10-25-2006, 09:41 PM
J- Maybe I didn't understand your question. All the responses have smacked me upside the head. Did you mean the cable that was n ther wont reach the front. I always planned on adopting a TR4 cable to my car. Also been suggested to just cut off 1 of the cables from a 6. If yours don't reach that first carb, new cables are in order.

jmayled
10-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Thank you all - I am currently only connecting one of the choke cabkes to the front carb, which seems to work ok, although I would like to be able to use the choke on both carbs.

Does anyone know where I can obtian the linkage that connects the chokes on the SU carbs? (SU HS6)

DNK
10-28-2006, 09:28 PM
https://www.racetorations.co.uk/parts.html

hondo402000
10-29-2006, 08:21 AM
my choke cable broke on my 6, so I hopped in the 4runner headed up to the bike shop, I purchased 2 brake cables for a bike, got home pulled the whole choke mechanism out of the car, pulled the knob and cables out of the black sleeve, cut the old cables off the metal portion and then drilled a hole in the metal rod and then slipped 2 cables into the hole and them brazed them in with a OXy/acc torch. slipped the cables back into the housing and back into the car and then cut them to lenght, worked perfectly. If you have to put new black housing you might purchase the housing at the bike shop too I would imagine you can carefully pry the old housing out and crimp the new ones in.