View Full Version : Crypt Car Set Back

Tinster
10-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Yesterday afternoon the Crypt Car somehow ate the
Dan Masters wire harness Power Block. No power output
from 50% of the wire harness. This latest fiasco
represents a four month set-back in getting the
car back on the road.

The Car Crusher is looking better and better to me.

d

pa297pass
10-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Don't give up the faith Dale.

If these beasts have been asleep for a long time, sometimes they don't want to wake up. You will get there, and it will be worth all the grief in the end.

Good Luck.

Matt

Tinkerman
10-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi Tinster:
Bummer about the set back, you'll "git er did" as they say down south. At the bottom of your post it states "dare to dream"
keep that in mind and always, always PMA.
Cheers, Tinkerman

dklawson
10-24-2006, 12:02 PM
It's only a machine. You'll figure it out. Take your time and go through the wiring one thing at a time until you find the source of the problem. Hang in there, you'll get it.

MadRiver
10-24-2006, 12:23 PM
I feel your pain. It's amazing how much heartache can be squeezed into a single, small, one-ton automobile. I'm sure you'll get it, man. And that first drive will make you forget all the misery that came before, and replace it with pride for having overcome it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

kodanja
10-24-2006, 12:37 PM
I can't even remember all the troubles I've had bringing my 6' back from the dead!

Maybe I just blocked them out, but when you get it on the road, all those memories seem to fade away.

Try to enjoy the time you have putting it all together, before you know it youll be looking for things to do on it besides driving it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/aaa4-1.jpg

69tr
10-24-2006, 12:37 PM
when you are down, the only way to go is up.....I have been down enough to know.

Hang in there and remember what I have seen posted many times on this fourm: "half the fun of owning an LBC is working on it"

Good luck,Pete

bobh
10-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Dale,
Did the powerblock burn up, or did you blow a couple of fuses. If you lost a fuse or two that's OK. It means the design worked. Think back through the last few changes you made before the failure. You'll figure out what caused the problem.
You mentioned earlier about removing the dash support. Any chance you shorted out the wire to the cigarette lighter (if you have one)? If you are working in an area where there are any wires disconnect the battery to prevent accidents. Wal_mart sells a cheap battery cut off switch that works great. If you can't find one let me know. I'll send one out in tomorrows mail.
------------------
"The crusher was never an option"
Hannibal

Aldwyn
10-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Aww, Dale! What a bummer man! Two steps forward, one step back!

Like others have been saying, you'll get there eventually... and it will all be worth it! Best of luck!

Brosky
10-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Dale, we never refer to anything as "having been eaten" by the ever power hungry Lucas demons unless there is a terrible smell accompanied by copious amounts of black acrid smoke. Since you describe neither of the two, we will have to assume that you just popped a few breakers.

Chill out, have a cold one and isolate each circuit, one at at time, to see what caused the problem. It may be a pinched wire(s) or something simple that you can resolve rather quickly.

Tinster
10-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Hey Paul,

Nope, no smell or black clouds. Simply put, 50% of the new
wires no longer carry electric. No blown fuses, no blown
relays just 50% dead wires-not functioning. It seems
related to removal of the PO's recently dead distributor.

One block of fuses is hot, the other block of fuses
carries no electric. I am pouring over the Power Block
wiring diagram trying to figure out a way to splice
the hot wires into the dead wires.

But my knowledge of electricity is really too slim to
be attempting this splice task. With no current flowing,
my little light bulb circuit tester is useless.

I'm kinda log jammed on this one. Don't know enough to
know where to look for the problems.

The CRUSHER is stalking the Crypt Car pretty hard now.

d

Andrew Mace
10-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Seems to me the best place to start is to use that diagram to figure out what powers the fuse block that died? I just have a gut feeling that there's something pretty basic that happened?

Brosky
10-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Whoa, wait a minute!!! Don't start splicing any wires together. That's not the way it was designed to be setup and I'm sure that Dan or Mike can offer some advice that will be right on the money.

Dale, it's just like carpentry, of which are you very familiar. Measure many times before you cut once. Test circuits and connections and never splice into a pre-made harness that worked well before the power failure.

Tinster
10-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Andy: I agree with you on that. It might be something
simple like a broken connection. In order to splice
in the hot wires to the dead fuse block, I have to
dismantle the Power Block to begin with.

Hopefully when I dismantle the Power Block, I will
indeed find something very simple like a loose wire.

I am also thinking about maybe ordering 1/2 of a
new Power Block to overlay the side that is dead.

I must say this has been a quirky learning experience.

D

Brosky
10-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Dale, it went dead for a reason, which I doubt was the harness. Start double checking every connection from the distributor wiring to the alternator harness (did you knock the plug in back of the alternator loose while getting the stuck dizzy out?), to anything that may have moved while you were working on any area of the car.

More than likely, you will find the evil doer hiding in one of those areas.

BTW, did you call Dan or Mike to ask if this problem was common knowledge to them?

martx-5
10-24-2006, 06:09 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

I downloaded a copy of the '69 TR6 power block diagrams for Advance auto's site. If you can tell us what circuits are dead, will should be able to figure out what's up.

BJones
10-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Dale,

I wish I had some information to help you sort through all of the issues you have been facing. Unfortunately I too, am new to the world of all things Triumph. I basically just want to provide you a little moral support and let you know I read everyone of your posts (as well as all of the others /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) as a learning experience. Just looking at all the work you have done as well all the the work you have ahead of you, you are quickly becoming well versed in every aspect of your car. Keep your head up, once you get it all done I know you will be thrilled and have a real sense of accomplishment. I bet in the end you are providing info to all the rest of us just like all of the other senior members of this wonderful forum. Best of luck.

Tinster
10-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Thanks Art: Dan has never seen this happen before.
Mike thinks maybe it's the ignition switch.

Everything electric was functioning and the car
even started and ran briefly until the PO's distributor
crapped out. I removed the distributor and was installing
a few better bullet connections for the dash board lights.

I connected the battery and turned on the ignition key to
see if the lights still worked with my new bullets. Nothing
worked.

After probing circuits with my light bulb tester I found that none of the wires coming out of the 12:00 located
fuse box(green side) were live.

ALL the wires coming out of the 9:00 located fuse box (purple side) were live.

The Power Terminal itself is hot and the Power Relay box
is hot in the two top slots. Dead in the two bottom slots.
No blown fuses anywhere. Swapping out relay boxes has no effect. Green side stays dead.

The distributor is on the green side which makes me think the failure might be somehow related to me removing the distributor. Or a broken or loose wire in the Power Block.

Paul knows I am not afraid to take something apart to see
how it works or why it doesn't work.

Any and all help appreciated, I'm stumped on this one.

dale

martx-5
10-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Dale,

After reading your description of what's hot and what's not, I would also look toward the ignition switch, as that energizes the power relay on the circuits that are dead. Coming off the power terminal is a yellow wire that goes to the Bat side of the ignition switch. That should be hot all the time. If it is, proceed to the white/green wire, which should be hot when you turn on the ignition switch. That's the wire that energizes the power relay. If that is dead when you turn on the ignition, then the ignition switch is most likely at fault. You can jump the yellow wire to the white/green wire to see if it energizes the relay and powers the dead circuit up. Also, Dan's schematic shows an anti-theft cutout switch on the ground side of the power relay coil. Do you happen to have one of those wired in?? If so, is it in the open position??

Brosky
10-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Where are these bullet connectors located? Were you under the dash or working out in the open? I don't disagree with Art, but I'm wondering if you inadvertently pulled a connector off, either at the ignition switch or somewhere under the dash.

If Art's test don't show anything or even before doing them check the area where you worked to insure that no connections came loose. Pull them off and then push them on again to insure that they just don't "look" connected.

Removing the distributor should not have this affect on an entire wire harness. The distributor is not a switching mechanism for all of those power circuits of the car.

Tinster
10-25-2006, 06:11 AM
Power to yellow? Yes Constant
Power to white/green with key on- yes

No power to green fuse block

Anti-theft cutout switch yes. Toggle has no effect
on green fuse box. .....BUT.........

replacing the black ground wire on the cutout switch
that must have got knocked off when I removed the dash
support unit instantly powered up the dead 50% of the
wires in the car.

Thanks ALL: A great cloud of depression is now lifted.
Back to the task at hand. BTW: Jeff reports he has
rebuilt and refurbished my totally PO buggered up distributor. It should arrive next week.

dale

10-25-2006, 07:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dale,

After reading your description of what's hot and what's not, I would also look toward the ignition switch, as that energizes the power relay on the circuits that are dead. Coming off the power terminal is a yellow wire that goes to the Bat side of the ignition switch. That should be hot all the time. If it is, proceed to the white/green wire, which should be hot when you turn on the ignition switch. That's the wire that energizes the power relay. If that is dead when you turn on the ignition, then the ignition switch is most likely at fault. You can jump the yellow wire to the white/green wire to see if it energizes the relay and powers the dead circuit up. Also, Dan's schematic shows an anti-theft cutout switch on the ground side of the power relay coil. Do you happen to have one of those wired in?? If so, is it in the open position??

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">BINGO!</font>

Now, We are Getting Warmer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif ]

Great Call Martx-5... Sometimes Advice Needs to Come in 2ssssssssss ;-)

Brosky
10-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Ahaa!! The dreaded loose ground trick! I suspected such an evil demon hiding under there. Most of these types of wounds are usually self inflicted, albeit unintentionally. Been there and done that to myself many times, which is why I doubt me more than the car at times.

Can you begin to feel the warm sand under your toes yet???

Get a bigger memory card for all of the beach pics that you will be taking in a week or so......

10-25-2006, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Where are these bullet connectors located? Were you under the dash or working out in the open? I don't disagree with Art, but I'm wondering if you inadvertently pulled a connector off, either at the ignition switch or somewhere under the dash.

If Art's test don't show anything or even before doing them check the area where you worked to insure that no connections came loose. Pull them off and then push them on again to insure that they just don't "look" connected.

Removing the distributor should not have this affect on an entire wire harness. The distributor is not a switching mechanism for all of those power circuits of the car.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am Thinking about making a Special Spider Ground Wire Kit for Dale. It Works kind of like this,

- attach Lead alligator clip to Mr. Jones
- attach Extremity Clips to all things that Should be Grounded
- insert Red Bulb into Dale's Mouth

Things that Don't Work Should Work when Dale touches them with Any of his Fingers... and As an Added Bonus-- Rudolph Dale Glows!!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

10-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Oh Dale,

I forgot to Remind You: ****, Those Tires Look Good!!!

bobh
10-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Dale,
Or should we call you Sparky? I'm glad to hear that you didn't fry anything.
This thread is also a testiment to the value of this forum. There was an honest outpouring of sympathy, support and suggestions. Followed by your account of a simple mistake, a little good natured ribbing and a sigh of relief that reverberated throughout this Triumph community. You won't see this type of exchange on many forums.
There is another way to test your circuits without having the battery connected. It's a bit more cumbersome. You can use a multi meter with an audible feature. It requires that you clip one lead on one end of the wire and probe the other end like you are doing with your test light. If there is continuity you will hear a buzz or beep.
The offer still stands for a cutoff switch.
BOBH

Brosky
10-25-2006, 09:04 AM
It also provides a very good use for that highly annoying (usually disconnected) TR6 seat belt warning buzzer if you care to use one for the noise value. It saves having to get in and out of the car to see if a light is lit when you are working alone.

Tinster
10-25-2006, 10:30 AM
BOBH: Actually I did fry a wire pretty good. I thought
maybe the ignition switch needed a ground wire on that
empty terminal. So I put one there and then hooked the
battery back up. The wire diagram show a tiny grounding symbol on the switch.

Sparks immediately flew at the grounding bar, a loud
crackle followed and a puff of really nasty smeeling
smoke rose like a mini mushroom cloud. The wire went
limp and once it was cool enough to touch, I removed it.

I am now even more convinced than ever the electrical
system in the Crypt Car will only function if God wills
it so.

10-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Hey Dale,

When you send back my Green alligator clips, please insert your old Computer Mouse... mine is Driving Me Crazy!!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif

Brosky
10-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Now you are an official "Triumph brother". You've experienced the terrible smell and acrid black smoke associated with frying wires. Congratulations, you have passed and we will notify you when it's time for your 2nd degree.

10-25-2006, 10:44 AM
"Have you ever seen a Grown Man, Naked?", Peter Graves from the movie "Airplane"

Well, you should have seen Dale when I grasped Both Terminals of the Battery in my Hands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Duck 'N Cover he Did very Well from Memory of the 50s!!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Aldwyn
10-25-2006, 11:01 AM
If that's 1st degree, I'd hate to see 2nd!

Just take me to third, please! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brosky
10-25-2006, 11:05 AM
This is a secret, but since no ones listening, I'll clue you in. The 2nd degree is the clutch replacement and the 3rd degree is the complete upholstery kit. Just don't tell anyone, OK?

Tinster
10-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Bad News for ya, Mike!

That wire that I smoked? I used your green alligator
clip wire to attach it to the ignition switch.
It's kinda limps as well.

Tinster
10-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Well the green fuse block is now powered up and
I've spent the past few hours sitting inside
the Crypt Car removing terminal ends and replacing
them with crimped and soldered connector or bullets.

Mike brought me this slick little mini blow torch.
So, I'm even installing that shrink wrap stuff on
the terminals. Looks so professional even to me.

Got the ignition switch, flasher switch and cutout
switch all with new terminal ends. Installed
seven(7) new ground wires as well.

Funny thing though, now my turn signals no longer
function, my gas gauge DOES function while my
temperature gauge is pegged at 250* with the
Crypt Car stone cold dead.

Oh yeah, and my brake warning light just came on!!

Ever onward!!

d

kodanja
10-25-2006, 12:01 PM
sounds like a ground

10-25-2006, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bad News for ya, Mike!

That wire that I smoked? I used your green alligator
clip wire to attach it to the ignition switch.
It's kinda limps as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Butthead!

https://www.comicon.com/pulse/images_05a/MrBill.jpg

https://www.funkyfridge.com/shop/images/AB-MB-24481.jpg

I'll Get You!!!!

Tinster
10-25-2006, 12:29 PM
just kiddin' w/ ya!

kodanja
10-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Oooooooooooo NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!

10-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Folks,

I'm still Feeling like Crap, so Dad sent this little Reminder to Me ;-)

Dale,

Did you Check the Dipstick? If not, you Better Press Here! (https://dingo.care-mail.com/cards/flash/5409/galaxy.swf)

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/bramafear/Mcce/galaxy.jpg

roofman
10-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Humm, my universe ( waistline) keeps expanding also.....
I'll blame it on the solar system and go eat a twinkie.

Brosky
10-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Let me get this straight, Dale.

You're sitting inside the Crypy car with a BLOW TORCH????

That Mike GAVE TO YOU????

Can I ask exactly what either of you was thinking when you made the decisions to do those things???

kodanja
10-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Dale DONT DO IT, Life is to short!

Tomster
10-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Would anyone care to suggest some appropiate music to accompany the new LBC series" The Misfortune of Dale"

10-25-2006, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me get this straight, Dale.

You're sitting inside the Crypy car with a BLOW TORCH????

That Mike GAVE TO YOU????

Can I ask exactly what either of you was thinking when you made the decisions to do those things???

[/ QUOTE ]
It Didn't come with a Child Protection Thingy... Whoops!!!

martx-5
10-25-2006, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would anyone care to suggest some appropiate music to accompany the new LBC series" The Misfortune of Dale"

[/ QUOTE ]

Tchiakowsky's "1812 Overture" has plenty of pathos and fireworks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

kodanja
10-25-2006, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dirty Deeds! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

bobh
10-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries?
It was a perfect fit in Apocalypse Now

10-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah! ... and the Rolling Stones,

"I Can't Get No... Satisfaction!..."

Mickey Richaud
10-25-2006, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah! ... and the Rolling Stones,

"I Can't Get No... Satisfaction!..."

[/ QUOTE ]

"I can't drive... 55!" (Or any other speed!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Mickey

10-25-2006, 02:52 PM
We Sure in the Heck don't want to Play...

"This is the End, My only Friend-- The End..." by Brother Jim of The Doors :-(

Just to Remind you Young'ns,

The End
By Jim Morrison
(Modified Version)

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
Ill never look into your eyes...again

Can you picture what will be
So limitless and free
Desperately in need...of some...strangers hand
In a...desperate land

Lost in a roman...wilderness of pain
And all the children are insane
All the children are insane
Waiting for the summer rain, yeah

Theres danger on the edge of town
Ride the kings highway, baby
Weird scenes inside the gold mine
Ride the highway west, baby

Ride the snake, ride the snake
To the lake, the ancient lake, baby
The snake is long, seven miles
Ride the snake...hes old, and his skin is cold

The west is the best
The west is the best
Get here, and well do the rest

The Crypt Car is callin us
The Crypt Car is callin us
Driver, where you taken us

Dale awoke before dawn, he put his boots on
He took a face from the ancient gallery
And he walked on down the hall
He went into the room where his sister lived, and...then he
Paid a visit to his brother, and then he
He walked on down the hall, and
And he came to a door...and he looked inside
Father, yes son, I want to Spank you
Mother...i want to...HOW ABOUT SOME HAM &amp; EGGS!!!!

Cmon baby, take a chance with us
And meet me at the back of the Crypt Car
Doin a blue rock
On a Crypt Car
Doin a blue rock
Cmon, yeah

Spill the Wine, Spill the Wine, Spill the Wine, Spill the Wine, Spill the Wine, Spill the Wine

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

It hurts to set you free
But youll never follow me
The end of laughter and soft lies
The end of nights we tried to die

This is the end
I am the Crusher...

Tinster
10-25-2006, 03:01 PM
What, me worry?? Blow Torch

I'm just following the instructions of my mentor.
As stated previously, I know zip about auto electonics.

The seats are out, the carpet is out&gt; The Crypt Car
would never blow itself up with me inside because then
it could not inflict future torments upon me.

The saga continues.

d

10-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Dale,

After Reading those Lyrics, About Right Now--- Are You Passed Out on the Floor, Buddy?? ;-)

Brosky
10-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Maybe Sinatra:

"And now, the end is near and though I face the final curtain, ......through it all, I DID IT MY WAY".

MadRiver
10-25-2006, 03:44 PM
I was also going to sugggest The End, but I like your modified (and slightly more family friendly) lyrics! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Tinster
10-25-2006, 04:30 PM
This Video clip from Wendy was in my e-mail this afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6gFmT3acvU

ouch!!

10-25-2006, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This Video clip from Wendy was in my e-mail this afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6gFmT3acvU

ouch!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, at first glance I was most interested in the Girl than the Crusher, but after watching her Walk... and I mean Walk &amp; Slightly Lean in Front of that Crusher while it was in Motion... I thought--- What a Stupid Twit!

Jimmy Hoffa could have Magically Popped out &amp; Poked her in the Eyes!!!

Nah... Too Stupid to Cross the Road...

https://www.cynical-c.com/archives/bloggraphics/LineUp.jpg
--- Danger Will Robertson!!!

But Then Again... It could Have Been????

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/bramafear/hannibal.jpg
Hannibal serving her up a Dish of Fava Beans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

Brosky
10-25-2006, 08:20 PM
I'll bet she could do more damage to you with those legs than the crusher did to the cars.

Tomster
10-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Hey you wanna be careful, Dat's one a Tony's girls.
Dale, did wendy tell you who was in the trunk?

Tinster
10-27-2006, 09:23 AM
I have an offer of $2,000. for the Crypt Car,
as is, to be used to canabalize parts off it.

Not quite the satisfaction of watching a good car
crushing but some my refurbished parts might make
good use in some other folk's non-dead cars.

A whole lotta time &amp; $$ got thrown into the Crypt Car
but I guess only Jesus can truly raise the dead.

I will have to seriously consider this option.

d

10-27-2006, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have an offer of $2,000. for the Crypt Car,
as is, to be used to canabalize parts off it.

Not quite the satisfaction of watching a good car
crushing but some my refurbished parts might make
good use in some other folk's non-dead cars.

A whole lotta time &amp; $$ got thrown into the Crypt Car
but I guess only Jesus can truly raise the dead.

I will have to seriously consider this option.

d

[/ QUOTE ]

https://www.badmovies.org/movies/jesusvamp/jesusvamp2.jpg
Yeah Right. Dale is having his Serious "Come to Jesus Moment" ;-)

Any Hecklers in the Crowd?

kodanja
10-27-2006, 10:06 AM
DONT DO IT!

KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE!!!!

10-27-2006, 10:10 AM
https://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Boardwalk/3265/barn.jpg
Would You Put a Stake through the Heart of an Elder?... an Antique?... a Legend?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

swift6
10-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Dale do what you need to but also remember that its always darkest before the dawn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

10-27-2006, 10:18 AM
https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/bramafear/Mcce/Todd%20Project/tr6viagra.jpg
Maybe this is What Dale Needs????

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

kodanja
10-27-2006, 10:50 AM
get it stuck in yer throat, and youll have a stiff neck... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Brosky
10-27-2006, 11:30 AM
What's the story with the distributor, etc. I was traveling for two days and just got back.

Somebody would be stealing the car for that kind of money.

Don't sell. Let's get this resolved and getto the beach for pictures.

YankeeTR
10-27-2006, 07:35 PM
She forgot her safety glasses!