PDA

View Full Version : Pro and Con of Negative Ground conversion

Frank C.
10-02-2003, 11:00 AM
Ok, Winter is coming and I'm thinking of converting my BJ8 to negative ground (like I don't have enough other projects to do on the Healey!). So far, other than a better choice on radios, I haven't seen a compelling reason to make the conversion. I'm interested in the groups opinions.

Thanks in advance ...

sky
10-02-2003, 11:22 AM
Frank, The only reasons to switch to neg ground would be for converting from a generator to alternator, electronic ignition (more choices),or as you stated, more choices of radios. The only other polarity sensitive equipment I can think of is the fuel pump, but pos ground pumps are readily available. So...if it ain't broke don't fix it. Sky graemlins/cheers.gif

Frank C.
10-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Sky,

Thanks for the feedback ... I tend to agree. I was just wondering if there were conflicting views in "Healey Land" but so far I guess not.

Thanks again for your input.

Randy Harris
10-07-2003, 01:15 PM
As long as you are not going for concourse points, negative ground conversion is an excellent upgrade, especially if you are thinking about an alternator at some point. An alternator conversion will enhance the car's reliability and improve your lighting immeasurably. You can add modern, more powerful headlights, driving lamps without worry, idle in traffic without drain on the battery, allow an infinite selection of accessories including modern radios. I think it's a good idea.
Coop
'66 BJ8, '68 E-Type OTS