PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A Rear Oil Galley Plug and Flywheel Bolts TR4

KVH
10-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Well, I have two straight forward questions:

1) Should I use thread-lock or lock-tight on the Flywheel bolts when I reinstall the flywheel?

2) That steel plug for the rear oil galley hole. The one behind the flywheel and next to the camshaft plug. Mine may be leaking--has anyone pulled that plug? How is it done and where did you get the replacement.

Alan or Geo, this may be something you guys once did???

Thanks, all.

martx-5
10-22-2006, 01:59 PM
These cars were made pretty much before the lock-tite era. That doesn't mean that it wouldn't be helpful. It's good stuff, but just don't overdo it, as sometimes the bolts can be difficult to remove if too much is used. One drop per bolt should be sufficient.

As far as the welch plug goes, now would be the time to replace it if you feel it is leaking. Moss Motors lists the part on this page as item #26. (https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29116) It's probably just a common freeze out/welch plug available at just about any auto parts store. The biggest problem is getting them out. The last time I had to pull out a welch plug was on my daugter's first car, a Pontiac Sunbird. It had to make a hole in the plug, kind of expand that with a chisel and then pry it out with a large screwdriver. Putting the new one is is much easier then extracting the old one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

KVH
10-22-2006, 02:08 PM
I think #26 is for the camshaft, and the front one listed as #25 looks like it has threads on it. There must be a front and rear for #25. Do you agree?

Geo Hahn
10-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Didn't the flywheel bolts have locking plates (2)? I think they would have originally.

Some folks use self-locking bolts (the kind that stretch) for this application but IMO locking plates make things pretty secure.

KVH
10-23-2006, 02:22 AM
No locking plate. I don't know the reason, but the manual says that "place bolts" are used on some of the models or engines--after some point in time. I have no idea what a place bolt is. When I took them out, they looked like they had some kind of substance on them, not necessarily lock-tight.

Geo, pulling the transmission is not so much fun. I can't imagine doing it and then having another oil seal problem and doing it again. If I spend much more time beneath my car my wife might just lower it on me before heading out.

Alan_Myers
10-23-2006, 04:06 AM
Yes, tab washers were normally used and are probably the best security for the flywheel bolts. I'd use Locktite, too. (On the ring gear, too, which also has tab lock washers.) Can't be too safe with the flywheel!

The galley cap just gets tapped into place, if I recall correctly. It expands and is trapped in there. However, an old trick that's a good idea is to clean it all up really well around it (degrease it with acetone or lacquer thinner), and use epoxy to secure and seal it. Any siginificant oil leak there will quickly leave an engine without any of its life blood!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Geo Hahn
10-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Place Bolts: https://www.precisionscrewandbolt.com/place_bolts.htm

I learned something new too.