PDA

View Full Version : Upholstry repair (seat)

jayhawk
10-20-2006, 02:41 PM
The upholstry in my TR3 is pretty decent but old. The driver's seat seams now are splitting in the "pleats" (not edges). The material itself is not torn or split but the thread has given up its job of holding the "pleats" together. Is this repairable? I've still got some things I'd rather do to make the car better before upholstry. EG has anyone taken the original type material off to have resewn?

DougF
10-20-2006, 03:35 PM
If the leather is still soft and supple, it shoud be repairable. If it has dryed out and hardened, it should be replaced.
I ran into that problem with my occasional seat. The leather looked perfect, but was very hard. The upholsterer told me that it would only tear if repaired.

Andrew Mace
10-20-2006, 06:04 PM
It's certainly worth a try, even if the leather does seem dry and/or hard. There are any number of conditioning products out there that will help greatly. It won't look new, but it doesn't cost that much to experiment!

Geo Hahn
10-20-2006, 06:13 PM
I've had seams restitched with good results.

I haven';t tried but plan to use some products from this place, as I recall, they also have stuff to soften stiff leather:

https://www.leatherique.com/index.htm

jayhawk
10-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Great. again thanks for the input. I would imagine they have been fairly dry-- the car essentially sat in a garage for most of 20 years but I did put some dressings on the interior recommended by a shop when I first got it and cleaned it up. Will give it a try. I've got to switch the seats anyway, the PO had the seats in the opposite positions. The passenger seat is on the driver's side. Anyway I'm assuming that because the current driver seat folds forward and both seats sort of face outward toward the doors a little.

Harry_Ward
10-20-2006, 10:26 PM
yes your seats are on the wrong side of the car. Folding forward seat is located on the passenger side.