PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4a Muffler

Richard_Brown
10-19-2006, 01:23 PM
For some reason all my 3 TR4a's and one we arte looking to buy have Dual Exhaust. I thought that TR4 solid axel cars had Dual exhaust? but all TR4a IRS's had single ?
also what is the best sounding Muffler for a TR4a, the car we are looking at has a nicely rebuilt engine and purrs, but the exhaust is way too quiet so you don't get the nice TR sound.

trrdster2000
10-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Richard, I put the "y" and mufflers from the TR4 on my TR6 and the sound is more than I hoped for, (quite rumble). My 6 is the early single pipe and the "Y" did require some bending and adding a hanger, well worth the effort. If you check Ebay, someone is always selling the Ansa system for the 4A-6, running around $260 to $325. Wayne

MichaelG
10-19-2006, 07:54 PM
R U looking at a solid axle or IRS 4A? You are correct that the stock solid axle 4A systems has twin tubes from the manifold to front muffler, than the "y" tube to twin mufflers. I just installed a stock SS system in my solid axle 4A, replacing a "custom" one with a single pipe from the stick front muffler & no rear mufflers. This is inexpensive to set up, sounds like a TR and gives good performance. Alternatively, you could finish it with a Borla or Ansa Dual chromed resonator/tip. Personally, I would do that first....I recall it took the muffler shop about half an hour to fit, bend and install what was essentially "half a Y tube" from the front muffler to the rear of the car.

Lou Metelko
10-19-2006, 08:14 PM
According to the TRA Concours Guide, TR Register in England and many other sources, all TR4As prior to CT or CTC 70000 were born with the dual exhaust system. I have brought this to the attention of the one major TR supplier that perpetrates the fallacy of the exhaust system on the TR4A but I seriously doubt they would know a TR4A from a Sherman tank.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana
65 TR4A CTC64139 with dual exhaust

YankeeTR
10-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Sherman tanks didn't come in signal red...

Richard_Brown
10-24-2006, 06:11 PM
My car is CTC50035L a very early 65 tr4a irs, so I am guessing then that dual exhaust is correct by what you are saying

Lou Metelko
10-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Richard:

I bought a brand new 4A IRS in May of 1965. Knowing the commission, engine and body numbers was not very important to me back then so sadly, I don't know its number but I do remember it being a dual exhaust.

Even more sad is that the Triumph importers did not promote the overdrive transmission or surry top for the 4A. The two options that we now covet but can't find at even close to a reasonable price.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

CinneaghTR
10-25-2006, 09:31 AM
All this TR4A information is great!!

Oh, BTW, my '66 (CT55489L) has dual exhaust.

And Lou, it is great to have a revisionist viewpoint!!