PDA

View Full Version : Fender vent version 2.0

crj7driver
10-18-2006, 05:12 PM
The new server is a lot faster, thanks Basil.

For some reason I am determined to do these vents and decided to have another go. I am much happier with these, just looking for your sage opinions again. This is just photoshopped but they will be very similiar.

https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/crj7driver/tr6astonventcopy.jpg

TR6oldtimer
10-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Looks great, implies muscle. The car seems to moving even when parked. I wonder why Karmann did not think of them.

10-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Look good, will they be functional? Have you considered the vents on the new Range Rover Sport?

Bill

crj7driver
10-18-2006, 06:02 PM
TR6BILL, funny you should ask as that was version 1. I liked them as well, but they don't seem to flow with the lines as well.

https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/crj7driver/tr6vented.jpg

10-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Look at the vents on the '70 Corvette. Now those will flow, might have to make them up from scratch.

Bill

Tomster
10-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Is there a need for these or do you just like to cut things up? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif
Would you consider keeping the original metal skins intact (off the vehicle) and the venting a pair of fibre ones intead? Or, maybe buy an old Barracuda and ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

TR6oldtimer
10-19-2006, 08:46 AM
Version 1 with the large vent makes the car look shorter and boxier. Version 2 still has my vote.

crj7driver
10-19-2006, 09:28 AM
TR6oldtimer,

I think you hit the nail on the head. BTW, they will be functional.

Tomster,

Is there a need for them? I am not sure, but the vents at the top of the page are copied from an Aston Martin, and the bigger ones are from Range Rover. So at least I am staying british.

I kind of like them and lots of British cars of the era had them as well as today. I think they might be neccesary as I am turbo charging my TR6 and am concerned with adequate airflow through the engine compartment.

I live pretty close to Lee Janssen and I think he is rubbing off on me. Trying to modify at set of Fiberglass ones isn't a bad idea. I wrestle with the decision but I admire the vents on Martins and Healeys.

Thanks for the input

roofman
10-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Anything but port holes.

swift6
10-19-2006, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Would you consider keeping the original metal skins intact (off the vehicle) and the venting a pair of fibre ones intead?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not like they are rare, unavailable or have matching numbers attached to them. Modify away if that is your wish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

milemarker60
10-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Personally, I like the vents in the first pic. I had played with photoshop as well adding the vents found on the newer M3's. Still might add at a later date but I don't think they will be necessary with my engine swap. I anticipate temps being much cooler in the bay.

With that said, adds a "cool" factor both asthetically and functionally. Do it.

michalotti_tr
10-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Not nitpicking, but I think where you've got those positioned is right in line with the interior splash panel - you'll either need to move them forward or aft, or rework that panel to put them in. Other than that, why not? The factory put vents in the Le Mans and rally cars, why shouldn't we?

DNK
10-19-2006, 05:01 PM
I still think the vent as shown is not to real scale. the one on the Rover s really big.

danmas
10-19-2006, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a need for these or do you just like to cut things up?

[/ QUOTE ]

If man only sought that which he needs, we'd still be living in caves eating raw meat. It was only after man began to satisfy his wants that any real progress was made. Wanting to is reason enough.

Tomster
10-20-2006, 08:54 AM
OK ! FINE! cut away
What about three individual one staggered to roughtly follow the rear wheel line on the fender? Sort of like this:
1.....---
2...---
3.---

kodanja
10-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Another spin:
https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/vette.jpg

roofman
10-20-2006, 01:06 PM
I just saw a new Dodge small suv on the market ( NITRO ?) that has a side vent that could look good.

kodanja
10-20-2006, 01:14 PM
dodge nitro
https://www.dodgeforum.com/models/nitro/images/Dodge-Nitro.jpg