PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum retard removal??

bunzil
10-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Is there any reason to leave the vacuum retard connected to a '76 TR6 once the EGR, air pump, and other boat anchors have been removed? If so, it only follows that the timing will see more distributor advance and thereofe what's the best place for the timing to be at idle? Thanks.

10-15-2006, 09:38 AM
I have no vacumm retard anymore and have my timing set at 8 degrees BTDC @ 1000rpm.

I have a modified engine with trips.

Bill

bunzil
10-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks Bill. Mine is stock, but don't I recall you have a different distribtor in your car? Are the advance curves different? How about the cam?

Ned

10-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Ned,
My distributor is a rebuilt stock Lucas 22D set up to stock specs. I simply plugged the vacumms that run the vacumm advance (or used the vacumm outlets on the carbs for other purposes), plugged the vacumm on the dizzy bellow (for aesthetics only) and turned the dizzy to the dark side . I perform well from idle to 2500 rpm, but does best over 2500. The cam is GoodParts GP2, a mild street cam.

Bill

bunzil
10-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks again Bill. That's good enough for me. Plus, there's the good old fashion method of advancing it until it objects, and then backing off. I'll play with it.

Ned