PDA

View Full Version : Brakes & Heater

2033husky
10-14-2006, 05:16 PM
I have 2 questions. When I apply the brakes I hear what I assume is a vacuum leak coming from the booster. It sounds like its coming from under under the dash. What is the fix for this? My heater blower does not work according to the manual the wood fascia must be removed to get to this. Is that correct?
Thanks Jeff

DougF
10-14-2006, 11:16 PM
When you apply your brakes, does the engine want to sputter and stall? Are the brakes harder to engage?
Have you checked to see if you have power going into the heater? Are all of your connections clean? I would do everything possible to that heater before having to take it out.
If removal is a must, I would first try to remove it without removing the fascia. Take the tranny tunnel out to see if that allows enough work space.
If everything has to come out, mark you wires for easier assembly. The wiring diagrams are often hard enough to read let alone understand.

10-15-2006, 06:52 AM
Jeff,
The heater is removeable without taking out the dash. It is not easy, requires loosening the choke cables and working from both the bottom and top (through the ashtray hole) with custom-bent wrenches (heat em with a torch and bend while cherry red) but worth it to not take out the dash. Oh, gotta drain the coolant and such to pop the hoses, etc. Good time to rebuild the heater.

Sounds like you need to rebuild you brake servo as well.

Ain't these cars wunderfullll.

Bill

hondo402000
10-15-2006, 07:47 AM
I dont think the brake booster is rebuildable. there is a kit but you dont get the internal bladder. I would bit the bullet and purchase a new one, the heater in my 6 was not hooked up, A florida car now in NC. I got the heater box out by taking the glove box out, removed the spedo gauge so I could reach the upper bolts. it takes some manovering but it is possible. I am faced with doing it again because the fan blade broke and is probably spinning on the shaft. Be careful taking the fan blade off the motor and especially putting the fan back on the motor shaft. I ended up cracking mine by shoving the fan blade back on, it has a sholder on the shaft and I cracked the fan and you cannot get these except on ebay. You can take the motor apart and grease the bearing and clean every thing just be carefull of the brushes. Good luck

2033husky
10-15-2006, 07:47 AM
Doug,
The brakes are just a bit harder but the car runs great. The leaking (hissing) noise doesn't happen every time the brakes pedal is pressed it comes & goes. Is the servo rebuildable at home or does this need professional attention? If it needs to be sent out any recommendations?
As for the heater I noticed last night that there is a slight drip coming from the oil pressure gauge(top of radio is oily). It appears the fan switch is also wet with oil. I'll attempt to clean this up & stop the leak hopefully that will cure the problem.
Thanks Jeff

swift6
10-15-2006, 10:33 AM
The servos are re-buildable but usually not at home. Some Truck (semi) repair shops that repair air brakes can do it. Otherwise there was a place in Ohio(?) called PARTCO that rebuilt them for about $80. The PARTCO proprieters recently retired and another business bought their equipment and inventory and are offering the same service and pricing.

800 Sherman Blvd, Fort Wayne
IN 46808, 260-426-3331

I haven't used them yet but I have a few spare servos that need rebuilt so they might get them soon. NFI

2033husky
10-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Shawn,
Thanks for the info on Brake Materials & Parts. I spoke with them today & they quoted me $85.00 much cheaper than a new booster. Will be sending mine off soon will let you know how it turns out.
Jeff

swift6
10-16-2006, 09:16 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

TR674
10-18-2006, 03:39 AM
Jeff
with regard to your heater, check all connections first. I have just finished restoring mine after the fan ceased. It is not a difficult job to get out and back in. The diffucult part is not to spill coolant on the carpet when sliding it out into the foot well. I used standard spanners (a ring & socket with extension arm) and did all the work thru the removed glove box and up from the foot wells.
If you need some help with this I can step you thru the removeal/installation. That's not to say by back is still recovering!!!!!
Regards
Craig