PDA

View Full Version : SHE RUNS!

Mickey Richaud
10-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Fired up the TR8 for the first time after my rebuild effort. Sounds terrific! OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY!!

Got a ton of things yet to do, and probably won't be able to take it to Nashville next weekend, but sure is great to know she runs!

Mickey

drooartz
10-07-2006, 05:35 PM
We want to hear too!

Congrats, that's got to feel good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

trboost
10-07-2006, 05:41 PM
It's like giv'n birth, well as close as a guy could describe it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Enjoy, it is a great feeling.

Brosky
10-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Mickster, where's the progress pictures???

I was parked next to a beautiful red 1980 TR8 today at the British Car Day in Carver, MA. It was warmed over pretty well. Lowered, wide wheels and low profile tires, headers, engine work, Mallory distributor, the works. It sounded as good as it looked. I may even have a pic or two of it for later reference.

I've seen that one, now I'd like to see yours.

Mickey Richaud
10-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Will take a couple of pictures tomorrow and post them. And yep, 'tis a great feeling to hear that first startup after a rebuild. Got to quiet it down a bit, though - it's a tad LOUD with only a couple of temporary glasspacks!

The Holley is sweet, but I have to come up with some linkage bits. Hopefully that'll happen this coming week.

And the rest of the carpet bits showed up today, so I can finish the interior. Looks like we might take in some fall colors in it after all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mickey

Brosky
10-07-2006, 09:28 PM
This was the TR8 in Carver today. It looks like he uses a throttle cable on this Holley setup.

Darwin
10-07-2006, 10:52 PM
I'm envious Mickey. I would be satisfied if I could push mine back and forth and make strange engine noises in the process.

tdskip
10-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Good going Mickey!

DrEntropy
10-08-2006, 04:06 AM
Geez, Mickey, if it's one's them two-sided Holleys it should sound fine at idle.

Even if it DOES sound like: "gallon-gallon-gallon..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Mickey Richaud
10-08-2006, 06:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This was the TR8 in Carver today. It looks like he uses a throttle cable on this Holley setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he does, but where he has it located (I think) is incorrect, as it won't pivot properly (can't open fully, according to what I've read). The larger hole on the top of the lever gives the proper geometry for full open. I'm going to experiment with it this afternoon.

Mickey

Mickey Richaud
10-08-2006, 06:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Geez, Mickey, if it's one's them two-sided Holleys it should sound fine at idle.

Even if it DOES sound like: "gallon-gallon-gallon..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The sound is more like: "lope-de-lope-de-lope...", but the source is definitely "gallon-gallon-gallon..." (Go ahead, ask me if I care! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif)

Mickey

Mickey Richaud
10-08-2006, 07:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just had another look at the picture - that's a different setup from mine. Different carb and manifold - interesting. Anyway, the throttle hookup looks similar, and mine definitely won't open fully if it's hooked up on the lower hole.

Mickey

Mickey Richaud
10-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Here it is, as of today...

Mickey

Brosky
10-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Sweet, Mickey, sweet!! My dream toy is to build up a TR4 with a Ratco frame, a TR8 V-8, 5 speed gear box and paint it all black. I know that it wouldn't all work or fit, but it always works in your dreams.

Mickey Richaud
10-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks, Paul. I highly recommend the alum. V8. What a sweet sound it makes with the mild cam and Holley! Can't wait to put it on the road.

swift6
10-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Actually Paul I have seen nearly that car you dream of. It wasn't black but it was a TR4 with a Rover V8 (as it is in the TR8) and a 5 speed. If done with care and precision, it can be made to look like it came from the factory that way.
Check out British V8 (https://www.britishv8.org/), Dan Masters is also instrumental in this group. Personally, even though I have no interest in putting a V8 into my TR6 (that's why I have my TR8) I have no objections to people modifying their cars how they see fit. Though I do have to say that I would prefer to see them modified in a well thought out and executed manor and not as a hack job. Unfortunately, most of the V8 conversions I have seen are hack jobs, but some of the well planned and executed jobs are really nice. It seems to be one or the other with these. But that's just my opinion.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Bugeye58
10-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Lookin' pretty darn good, Mickey.
Jeff

Harry_Ward
10-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Nice set up! I especially like the lope de lope de lope V8 engine sound description!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tr8todd
10-09-2006, 12:28 PM
That red car belongs to Woody Cooper(owner of The Wedge Shop). It's a 5 liter beast pushing around 400HP. That car is capable of sub 12 second 1/4 mile times and can go from a dead stop to 160MPH in 4/10 of a mile on street tires. His engine would cost around $15K to duplicate. The glimpse of yellow behind Woody's car is my SCCA ITS TR8. The show was less than 2 miles from my house, so I thought I'd drag out a car and hang with my buddies for the day. My 80 green conv is still partially disassembled after painting it a couple of years ago, so I had to bring one of the race cars to the show. Woody built the engine in my race car, but because of SCCA rules, my race car is no where near as fast as his street car.

RSMTR8
10-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Here is a closeup of my setup, I hope it helps!

Rod

Mickey Richaud
10-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks, Rod - that does help, but I've a couple of questions. Does the throttle open fully? It looks like the attachment should be at the larger hole above where yours is to get full action.

And how is the cable threaded? Is it through a "barrel" that is secured by a set screw?

Thanks,
Mickey

RSMTR8
10-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Hmm............those are great questions, I did not install the Carb myself, a professional did it. I can take more pics if you need, just tell me what parts, and I will be happy to do so! I feel the throttle works fine, plenty of power, and no hesitation!

Rod

Mickey Richaud
10-11-2006, 06:23 AM
I think I may have a solution - just have to fiddle with it a bit more.

Thanks again for your pictures.

Mickey

Cheapsnake
10-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Very nice Mickey. Gotta hear this thing. Can you post an mp3 or wav file for us?

Tom

Mickey Richaud
10-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Wish I could, Tom - But I'm not that far into techi-dom yet!

But, for those with the proper imagination: Holley on an Edelbrock intake; mild cam; 4-2-1 headers; 2" exhaust temporarily muffled by a couple of glasspacks! Just loverly!

Mickey