PDA

View Full Version : Picking up the (Triumph) pieces in Missouri

meyerse
10-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Iíve got a 1959 Triumph TR3A in my garage, or I should say in pieces spread amongst dozens of boxes in my garage in Missouri. Iíll try to keep this story short. This car has been in my family for a number of years and has never been in cherry shape. At one point I had the body fixed up and it was in fact running at that time. I went away to college, then graduate school (MS and PhD) and the car fell to my older brother.

Once he had caught up with life he decided to have the car worked on and sent it to a local shop for a major engine overhaul. Unfortunately the guy retired while working on the car and sold the shop to his son, so the transition should have been painless. Wrong! The son, after completely disassembling the engine, went out of business. It ended up at another shop which indicated it would ďmake goodí on the money already paid, the front end was disassembled and then a large amount of money was requested to finish putting it back together! So, I ended up with the car. It was complete when it came apart, I even have a second car and engine, but I have NO idea if it is still complete in all the boxes.

Therefore be patient with me as I ask very elementary questions.

Mickey Richaud
10-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Welcome! I ever there were the perfect spot for assistance/camaraderie/commiseration, you've found it! We look forward to hearing of your progress.

Mickey

tony barnhill
10-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Welcome - you've come to the right place....gonna be sorta like a treasure hunt!

meyerse
10-06-2006, 04:58 PM
I don't know if I'm missing things yet, but I do know I've got some stuff that isn't from my car or I've got doubles of some thing! (three of the center gage mounts!), two fuel pumps. So it is kind of like a puzzle with some extra pieces that don't go anywhere and you are unsure you have all the pieces you need. When I say disassembled I MEAN disassembled.

I have very little experience in this area but I hope this can be a bonding expreience between me and my father in law (who has the needed skills).

One good thing is that at least some of the NOS parts I had made it all the way back to me.

CinneaghTR
10-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Welcome!! Another TRactor driver joins the list!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

R6MGS
10-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Welcome...I've got a box or two of some hard to get TR3 parts I've kept for the last 100 or so years...So if your missing anything odd lemme know and i'll take a look see. Look at having it disassembled completely as an opportunity to reassemble it the right way.

kyreb1862
10-07-2006, 08:26 PM
I have always loved a challenge. People used to bring me guns in bags and boxes they had taken apart and couldn't put back together. It was always a great sense of satisfaction to put these together and make them work. This the same feeling you'll get went you turn the key and hear that TR3 engine fire up. Welcome aboard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif