PDA

View Full Version : Gauge refinishing question

Brosky
10-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Dale, can you tell me how you applied the Endust to the face of the tach and other gauges? I'm not sure if you said to wipe it on or exactly how to apply.

Thanks!

crj7driver
10-02-2006, 06:17 PM
I used that on my gauges as well. Spray it on and wipe it off with a soft cloth. You need to rub it in a little to get a consistant shine/blackness.

Tinster
10-02-2006, 06:26 PM
ditto but do not rub very strongly or you will
remove the black. Gentle. I used soft cotton
cosmetic balls.

d

Brosky
10-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Did either of you find any issues with the white lettering coming off? Also, what did you do with the white (yellowed) needles?

martx-5
10-02-2006, 08:21 PM
When I redid my gauges, I had a fuel gauge that didn't work. I used the guts from another LBC gauge, but it had a red indicator needle. I painted it with some white artists acrylic using a small brush. I used it right as it came out of the tube. If it's a little too thick that way, you can thin it with a little water.

philknight
10-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Is there anything recomended to apply to the inside of the glass to prevent them from fogging up. My gauges look great until the sun goes down and the dashlights are on.

Brosky
10-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Another good question Phil. After 32 years, my oil, fuel and volt gauges just started doing this.

And thanks Mart... good tip there.

Tinkerman
10-03-2006, 07:02 AM
I would bet that if you would put some anti fog stuff on the inside of the glass before you put it back together it would take care of the problem. Maybe, anyhow thats what I'm going to do.
Cheers, Tinkerman

gjh2007
10-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Rain X makes an anti fog, I used to use it on my Series 3 Landrover with near non existent defroster.

p.s the blower motor was same one, including squirell cage that is used on TR's; just a little underpowered!

dklawson
10-03-2006, 12:18 PM
You can remove the bezel and glass and clean the glass prior to reassembly. Typically the haze is the result of paints and such off-gassing over the years. It's very curious that you should go for years without seeing a haze or film and then suddenly have it show up. Avoid putting the Endust or to much paint on the gauge face as these may accelerate the fogging.

I am really hesitant to put anything other than cold water on the faces of old gauges. I've seen several where you don't even want to get near (or breath on) the white lettering for fear it will come off.

I use Testor's model paints (from the hobby shop) to retouch gauge faces. Their flat black is not a perfect match for Smiths faces but behind the glass the touchups are seldom noticeable. Their flat white is good for needles and the numeric scale and chaplets. From craft stores you can buy acrylic neon orange to retouch any needles that are day-glow orange. The craft store will also carry acrylic glass paints. These can be used to re-touch the warning lamp lenses that are on some gauge faces.

Brosky
10-03-2006, 06:06 PM
I met a guy at a trade show a few weeks ago who does graphic overlays on plastic that can be peeled back and installed over an original. I just called him to see if he was still interested in taking my extra gauges and creating new dial overlays for the speedo and tach. These would be able to be made with the original style lettering and I could have the background changed from black to white and the just have the lettering go from white to black. That's if I felt like experimenting, which I don't at this time. I did see a sample tach and speedo in his booth and they looked great. I hope to talk to him again tomorrow for more details.

MDCanaday
10-03-2006, 08:09 PM
I like to use drywash&guard on the face and lense of my gages.It cleans and brightens the black, and makes dust less likely to gather.Q tips are in order here on the little gages.
MD(mad dog)

Brosky
10-03-2006, 08:15 PM
MD, where does one find dry wash & guard? I'm not familiar with the product.

dklawson
10-04-2006, 07:19 AM
Brosky, please do post more about the guy you found doing the custom faces. I've done a few of my own and recently bought decal material from MicroMark to do a conversion for a friend. I'm very interested in learning what your contact does.