PDA

View Full Version : Cruising Music

MadRiver
09-28-2006, 01:09 PM
I just made a mixed tape (ok, really a playlist on my i-Pod) for cruising in Greeine. To keep it age-appropriate for the car, I selected hits from the late 1960s. Here's the run-down:

Age of Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In (5th Dimension)
Woodstock (CSN&Y)
White Rabbit (Jefferson Airplane)
Sunshine Superman (Donovan)
Paint it Black (Stones)
Green Tamborine (Lemon Pipers)
I Can See for Miles (The Who)
I Feel Free (Cream)
The Golden Road (to Unlimited Devotion)(GD)
For What It's Worth (Buffalo Springfield)
Eight Miles High (Byrds)
House of the Rising Son (Animals)
Sympathy for the Devil (Stones)
A Hazy Shade of Winter (Simon and Garfunkel)
Good Vibrations (Beach Boys)
L.A. Woman (Doors)
Somebody to Love (Jefferson Airplane)
White Room (Cream)
Let the Sunshine In (Reprise) (5th Dimension)

Randi
09-28-2006, 01:10 PM
can you make me a cd? Randi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

MadRiver
09-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Right on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Steve
09-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Not a duff one amongst them, I salute your musical tastes. I noticed nothing from the Beatles...........

Randi
09-28-2006, 01:39 PM
I've got plenty of CD's blank- want me to send one? Love the combo!! mailing address P.O. box 273, Abbeville, La., 70511-0273 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

MadRiver
09-28-2006, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not a duff one amongst them, I salute your musical tastes. I noticed nothing from the Beatles...........

[/ QUOTE ]

You're quite right. I'm a huge Beatles fan, but haven't taken the time to digitize any of my CDs -- this was stuff I already had the computer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif In the interests of full disclosure, I'm a huge Deadhead and Who fan, so I had to resist the temptation to load up on them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

kodanja
09-28-2006, 01:47 PM
any thing off Abby Road
Radar love (Golden Earring)
When the bullit hits the bone (Golden Earring)
China Grove (Doobie Bros.)
any BTO
Stuck in the misddle with you (Steelers Wheel)
Ramblin Man (Allman Bros.)
Barracuda (Heart)
Space truckin (Deep Purple)
Highway Star (Deep Purple)
Riders on the storm (Doors)
Slow Ride (Foghat)
Freeway Jam (Jeff Beck)

Oh SOOOO Many More!

Brosky
09-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Hey, you missed ZZ Top!

SCguy
09-28-2006, 02:16 PM
For me... its Peter Frampton's live album.

R6MGS
09-28-2006, 02:32 PM
I love all the old stuf....In my LBC's with radios it's always just set on 1150 am...the oldies stations...The DJ is a friend of mine and a huge car nut(helps out at alot of the local cruises and advertises for all the car shows in the area as well).
In the modern cars I am startin to like some of the new country....Brooks and Dun, Kenny Chesney among others.

09-28-2006, 04:54 PM
I only play one song......
https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/billkaram/music.jpg

Bill

(excuse the road grime, it's a driver)

CinneaghTR
09-28-2006, 05:10 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Awesome pipes!!

For me, nothing beats the "music" of the TRactor motor (or the GT6 straight six, or the...), but my ideal mix tape would include the music I listened to when I started driving in the late 1980s. I remember the first time I heard U2's "Bullet the Blue Sky" zooming down a country road at night in my GT6 when I was 16. Oh, the nostalgia... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Having said that, neither car has a radio installed now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Tinster
09-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Whoa now, ya missed a fairly majorly important driving
in my car tune .........

"When I'm drivin' in my car
And that man come on the radio
He's tellin' me more and more
About some useless information
Supposed to fire my imagination
I can't get no, oh no no no
Hey hey hey, that's what i say

I can't get no satisfaction
I can't get no satisfaction
'cause i try and i try and i try and i try
I can't get no, i can't get no"

d

swift6
09-28-2006, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I only play one song......

Bill

(excuse the road grime, it's a driver)

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill it looks like you blew someone out of their shoes! That or there was a lapse in your total cleanliness policy.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

09-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Our little mini car club took a Sunday run through the back roads of Cajun Country. After an afternoon of cruising through lots of curves and upshifting and downshifting, the fellow that followed me the whole afternoon, and listening to my pipes, went straight home and slapped his dog and kicked his wife.

They will make you want to do something rash.

Bill

Harry_Ward
09-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Sorry the only music in the 3 is a rather loud muffler and resonator exhaust system, Sewing machine sound of solid tappets, a rather loud timing chain where the tensioner makes some contact with the chain, a distinct clicking sound when changing gears, and the sweet sound of the solenoid slamming home when the Over Drive is enagaged, then the sound of my neck cracking from the torque when I let out the clutch.

The Sky however has a seven speaker blow your ears out system and my first song of choice was and is The Low Rider-War, Allman Bros-Travlin Man, Canned Heat-Going to the Country, a crazy assortment of Hendrix including Angel and Machine Gun, Blue oyster cult-Don't fear the reaper and Seven Screamin Diz Busters, Steppenwolf-all of em that will fit, and something by Mountain of which I can never remember the name of but it calms the heart after listening to all that other stuff.

bunzil
09-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Good thread. But doesn't anyone see the irony of playing 60's music in an "analog car" through and iPod? Seems somewhat sacraligious no? It's a good list, but missing a key band of the period; equal or exceeding, no doubt, Jefferson Airplane - Creedance Clearwater Revival! I say add "I Put A Spell On You".

Brosky
09-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Bill, that is some serious a--ed exhaust man! Sweeeeet!

Of course from the looks of the "gentle breeze fan" in the bottom left corner of your picture, I can see that you never push the limits. Just nice and easy....

Did the guy who lost the shoe stand in front of the fan when you turned it on? Blew that poor boy right outta his shoes!

09-28-2006, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Of course from the looks of the "gentle breeze fan" in the bottom left corner of your picture, I can see that you never push the limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use that fan to dry the engine bay out after a washing. First I prop it in the area of the engine, then I set it in the interior for a few hours to blow under the dash and through the eyeball vents to get to the scuttle. Works good.

Part of that OCD.

But as of late, I have been putting her away dirty. Shame.

Bill

R6MGS
09-28-2006, 09:05 PM
ahhh...I little dirt never hurt nothing....My wifes MGA looks like a pig sti most of the time....It seems that it rains almost every time she has to go out....My cars on the other hand MUST stay spotless.

Randi
09-28-2006, 09:33 PM
i KNEW i SHOULD HAVE GONE......i HAVE CADDY RESONATORES ON MAGGIE!!!!!!!!!!RANDI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

gsalt57tr3
09-28-2006, 10:03 PM
During my restoration, we debated xm radio vs cd player vs fm or ipod. We were looking at the front of the bottom of the back seat for speakers.

Like Bill, we decided on the sweet song of the Vanguard 2 litre, run though glass packs for a little extra reverb.

Brosky
09-28-2006, 10:18 PM
I just couldn't take it anymore. I had to burn 2 CD's with some heavy duty cruising music. I most likely won't play them while cruisng this weekend, but I'll liven up the show on Sunday with some good ole rock & roll!

I even found my original "Ballad of Thunder Road". That is a real live cruiser. What a great movie of the 50's. I'll bet they even ran some shine on these old Cape Cod roads back in the day. Just not as much as down south in Bill country.

swift6
09-28-2006, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the fellow that followed me the whole afternoon, and listening to my pipes, went straight home and slapped his dog and kicked his wife.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, glad I wasn't sipping my beer when I read that. Reminded me of Buford T. Justice admonishing Junior. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DougF
09-29-2006, 12:12 AM
Little Feat anyone? The Pittsburgh airwaves have played the same music through the 60's,70's and 80's and still play it today. Fortunately, my college years introduced me to some music that I can hold sacred. If I hear Jimi Hendrix one more time, I think my head will explode. I am finally getting to the point where I can listen to Lepplin again. I'd rather hear Five Man Electrical Band. Radio is terrible these days! I need an ipod.

Trevor Triumph
09-29-2006, 12:27 AM
When I need to cover ground in the van we had it was always Bob Seger. When drving the Pontiac I had a a tape of the Bach Brandenburg Concerti and the Vivialdi Goria. When I lived on a dirt road in southern Ohio I used to listen to a tape that included Rossini's Wiliam Tell and La Gazza Ladra Overtures. They both gain speed at the end and it wasn't long before I was with the music sliding around the corners in off-road ralley tradition... sideways. For that section of Route 70 from Duncan, AZ to Lordsburg, New Mexico it doesn't matter so much what the music is, as long as it is loud- Beachboys, Bob Seger, Boston, Nightranger. When driving the Spitfire all one can hear is the beautiful music of the LOUD engine.

kodanja
09-29-2006, 06:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
something by Mountain of which I can never remember the name of but it calms the heart after listening to all that other stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

MISSISSPI QUEEN !(if ya know what I mean) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

MadRiver
09-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Great cruising tunes, everyone!

In honor of the closing of Greenie's birthday month (he lad was built on September 12, 1968), I drove him to work again today and added a couple more tunes to the setlist to make him fondly recall the summer of love:

Itcykoo Park (Small Faces)
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (Iron Butterfly)
Relax (The Who)
Pictures of Matchstick Men (Status Quo)
Crimson and Clover (Tommy James)
Summertime Blues (Blue Cheer)
Time Has Come Today (Chambers Brothers)
Hurdy Gurdy Man (Donovan)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LeeMcKee
09-29-2006, 09:06 AM
I see before me a great musical divide..... To my generation classic music consists of "The Sex Pistols" - "David Bowie" or "DEVO" How about some early "Chili Peppers", "Dead Milkmen" or If you are into love songs "The Cure" Now if you are in the mood to drive a little faster there is always IRON MAIDEN! or METALICA!
Yes, Those were the days.....
P.S. My wife wants a copy of your CD as well.. At least SHE has good taste Huh?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

MadRiver
09-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Hey, I remember all that stuff! Heck, I saw the Ramones live in 1982.

In any event, as part of my celebration of Greenie's 38th Birthday, I've been trying to update my site. This new page is a work in progress, but is a tribute to Triumph's attempt to "make the scene" in 1968:

Click Here! (https://www.tr-250.com/Psychedelia/Psychedelia.htm)

LeeMcKee
09-29-2006, 09:19 AM
VERY cool Bill!
Can one still get ahold of reproductions of that pin? How about the poster?
Lee

MadRiver
09-29-2006, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
VERY cool Bill!
Can one still get ahold of reproductions of that pin? How about the poster?
Lee

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks so much! I haven't been able to find the poster or reproductions, but I would *love* to have one. As for the pin, I actually have an original -- thanks to eBay! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

LeeMcKee
09-29-2006, 09:45 AM
I'll have to keep an eye out for them on E-bay then.
Cheers,
Lee