PDA

View Full Version : What's the weirdest, strangest and/nastiest...

jaybird
09-27-2006, 04:39 PM
...thing you've ever eaten.

I'll make a list. AFTER I eat.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Baz
09-27-2006, 05:02 PM
pigs feet

KLUTZ
09-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Brussel Sprouts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

vping
09-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Snails, Tongue, Octopuss soup

Mickey Richaud
09-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Already posted in the other thread: Chapulines (fried and seasoned grasshoppers) while we were in Oaxaca, Mexico. YUMMY!

kennypinkerton
09-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Anything soy based (as a meat substitute) would have to fit nastiest - I'm with Doc, everyone should eat a huge slab of meat at least a few times a week. Weirdest would be beaver meat. And the strangest would be a piece of baby octopus tentacle at the chinese restaurant.

anthony7777
09-27-2006, 07:04 PM
ive traveled near and traveled far and eaten things a many, but popping goats eye in your mouth, have you ever tried any? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

tony barnhill
09-27-2006, 07:20 PM
You don't want to know....however, once in a Montagnard village, I ate monkey brains out of a live monkey's head! Village chieftan stuck the monkey up under a table with a hole in it & clamped his head to the table...then they sliced off his skull and we all ate brains...washed down by lots & lots of Ba Moui Ba.....it would've been considered an insult not to partake & our team needed their assistance.....in a little place named Tien Phuoc during & after Tet where our SF camp was under seige for 5 months!

Steve_S
09-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Wierdest: Pidgeon, whole.
Strangest: Guinea Pig Pasta
Nastiest: Muk Tuk (whale)

anthony7777
09-27-2006, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't want to know....however, once in a Montagnard village, I ate monkey brains out of a live monkey's head! - tony been there done that, its not bad if ya dont let it get cold! once the brains are all gone they turn into guys that buy austin healeys, so the chief told me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

tony barnhill
09-27-2006, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't want to know....however, once in a Montagnard village, I ate monkey brains out of a live monkey's head!

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
- tony been there done that, its not bad if ya dont let it get cold! once the brains are all gone they turn into guys that buy austin healeys, so the chief told me

[/ QUOTE ]

So that's where THOSE guys come from! hehehehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

swift6
09-27-2006, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't want to know....however, once in a Montagnard village, I ate monkey brains out of a live monkey's head!

[/ QUOTE ]

I vote this to be the winner! any seconds?

anthony7777
09-27-2006, 08:05 PM
steve, i love "pidgeon", specialy the breast - a little olive oil, sage, basil (no not our basil) salt and pepper, a man could survive on it rather well, about $40.00 in a restarurant, (squab) comes with mashed tadders, the white wine goes well with it-green beans,and a salad, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Baz
09-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Seconded!
Jaybird, you had dinner yet?

jaybird
09-27-2006, 08:18 PM
No. Had a meeting tonight til 8. And I may never eat again. Tony, that's not only disgusting, inhumane, sick, gross, nasty, it's animal abuse and far too graphic. You're disqualified.

anthony7777
09-27-2006, 08:29 PM
tony, me tinks we boat bean "disqualleefied! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

tony barnhill
09-27-2006, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tony, that's not only disgusting, inhumane, sick, gross, nasty, it's animal abuse and far too graphic. You're disqualified.

[/ QUOTE ]

I told you, Janel, that you didn't want to know the weirdest, strangest and nastiest thing I've eaten but told you ONE of them.

Oh, in the central highlands of Vietnam its considered a delicacy...now, do you want to know the weirdest?

Baz
09-27-2006, 08:38 PM
YES!!!

jaybird
09-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Things I've eaten, no particular order and not defined by the degree of unusualality (yea I made up that word), whether I liked it, hated it or threw up, include, but is not limited to (because I had an hour phone conference and I have brain drain right now)...

Octopus
Squid
Shark
Alligator
Eel
Beef heart
Beef tongue
Rooster fries
Rocky Mountain oysters
Raccoon
Squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, dove, quail
Chocolate-covered ants (I passed on the grasshoppers)
Earthworms
Rattlesnake
Scrapple (anyone know what that crap is??!!)
Pickled pigs' feet
BBQ'd pig snoots
Pork brains (breaded and fried, not scrambled with eggs)
Haggis (not enough Glenfiddich around to wash that down)
Escargo (snails)
Lutefisk (tastes like a bar of lye soap and smells worse)
Herring (not that weird but who's ever seen a live herring?)

Ummm...
Crawfish, crawdads, crayfish (whatever)
Sashimi
I refuse to even try deer or any sort of liver or gizzards
Spam ~grin~
Gusano (the little tequila worm that lives on the agave plant)
Poke salad
Turnip, mustard, collard greens ***BLEAGH***
Grits
Cactus
Goat
Kim chee (not sure about the spelling - fermented cabbage)
Fried pickles
Conch
Tofu
Scottish eggs
Seaweed
Miso

And maybe a funky mushroom or two in my hippie daze.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Surprised ya, didn't I? For a picky eater. Thinking I forgot a few, particularly stuff we ate while out of the country.

Baz
09-27-2006, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rocky Mountain oysters

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohh, I think this might be a tie......
I'd eat monkeys brains before I eat.....that, them, whatever.

jaybird
09-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Hey, is NO tie. I didn't eat the RM oysters while they were still dangling off a very ticked off bull!

KLUTZ
09-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey.. There is nuthin' wrong with beef heart.

Steve_S
09-27-2006, 08:58 PM
I once ate a man's liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

anthony7777
09-27-2006, 08:59 PM
jaybird, the trick is to tell the bull you need him to stay still while you paint a portrait of him to be used in the next "red bull" advertisment, kinda lull him into a false sence of security, then run behind him fast like and bight very hard! thats how real men/gals do it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tony barnhill
09-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Hey, I've made the slit, popped the Rocky Mountain Oysters, & sealed the slit - all in one motion - every year on grandad's farm (& later, mother-in-law's farm)....then deep fried the "oysters" & ate them.....but that's still not the weirdest.....any Southern man who hasn't eaten RMO's, isn't!

tony barnhill
09-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Rocky Mountain Oysters Recipe

2 pounds calf testicles*
2 cups beer
2 eggs, beaten
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup yellow cornmea1
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Vegetable oil**
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

* Be sure to ask your butcher for calf testicles, not bull testicles. Calf testicles are the size of a walnut and are much more tender than the larger bull testicles.

** Use enough vegetable oil to fill your frying container halfway to the top (to allow for bubbling up and splattering) and to completely cover calf testicles while frying.

With a very sharp knife, split the tough skin-like muscle that surrounds each testicle. Remove the skin (you can remove the skin easily if the testicles are frozen, then peel while thawing). Slice each testicle into approximately ¼- to ½- inch-thick ovals. Place slices in a large pan or blow with enough beer to cover them; cover and let sit 2 hours.

In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper. Remove testicles from beer; drain and dredge thoroughly in the flour mixture. In a large, deep pot, heat oil to 375 degrees F. Deep fry 3 minutes or until golden brown (will rise to the surface when done). Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with your favorite hot pepper sauce

tony barnhill
09-27-2006, 09:12 PM
...& chitlins

In high svhool I dated a girl who's father owned a slaughter house...they tossed the entrails in a large vat where they almost instantly became chitlins...girlfriend, when taking guys to meet dad, stopped by the vat - if a guy couldn't/wouldn't eat them, he wasn't worthy of meeting dad....dad loaned me his new Pontiac Bonneville to take daughter on overnight date to Memphis...need I say more?

Still not the weirdest!

jaybird
09-27-2006, 09:17 PM
I've had chitlins and cracklins.

DART
09-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Tony's monkey brains is still the winner.

tony barnhill
09-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Ain't heard nuthin' weird or out of the ordinary yet, eh Anthony?

Once I was teaching a class on Arctic survival...was making birch bark soup & rose hip tea...soup needed a little pepper so I sent a student down to the edge of a nearby lake to find bugs frozen in the ice...tossed the bugs in the stew...offered her a bug but she wouldn't eat any...bug shell tasted pretty good - lots of protein.

Still not the weirdest.

DART
09-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Ok Tony, I'll bite...WHAT WAS THE WEIRDEST???

Banjo
09-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Nastiest... Prarie Belt smoked sausage (like vienna suasages). You ever read the ingredients on one of those cans??!!!!
And NO I don't want to know what's in hot dogs.
Wierdest. I'm with Kenny. it's probably Beaver meat.. Tough and greasy..
also had
Buffalo
Emu
Squirrel
Elk
Moose
Deer
Squid
Frog (we caught 'em)
cattail root (don't bother it's awful)
That's about it.. I'm not very adventurous when It comes to weird food.
Tony.. you win hands down! Survival makes you do extreme things.

Steve_S
09-27-2006, 09:33 PM
I don't buy the whole "any man who hasn't eaten testicles isn't a real man" argument. I think that's just something you say after your bar buddies trick you into eating them! LOL!!!

jaybird
09-27-2006, 09:37 PM
~snort~
I think you're right Steve.

tony barnhill
09-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Ah, Steve - I said "Southern man"...hehehehe...& yes, you can order them ala carte in the Soth and far norther Western states.

Nunyas
09-27-2006, 09:49 PM
man... i must be a glutton for punishment reading this thread while eating Swedish Meatballs.... O_o

if the brains to noodles correlation don't get to ya the meat balls will...

my wierd food list is rather plain with Octopus and squid but I really don't consider squid to be "strange", wierd or nasty. I ate octopus at least once a month while I was stationed in Okinawa, but I think it has to be the strangest I've knowingly eaten. Not so much to me now, but the first time it was strange to me.

Nastiest has to be a salmon egg sushi roll I ate once, again in Okinawa. Never developed a taste for liver, so that still ranks on the top of my nastiest foods eaten list.

*shrug* nothing I've ever eaten can compare to Tony's tale...

jaybird
09-27-2006, 09:53 PM
I probably should have said 'unusual' in the subject line, because I don't consider everything I listed as weird or nasty. I love calamari and EWWWWWWWWWW I had a bite of salmon egg sushi (at a sushi bar in the city, they were taking around samples of different kinds) I SHOULD have known better because that wasn't on the top of my list of tasty things! Yuck.

Tony, I've heard they taste like mushrooms.

tony barnhill
09-27-2006, 09:59 PM
One day a man was visiting a small Mexican city. He walked into a restarant and was surrounded by a wonderful smell. He could hardly wait to try the local cuisine.

He asked “What smells so good?”

The waiter said “Once a week we have a bull fight around here. What you smell is Rocky Mountain Oysters from the bull. I am sorry sir, but you will have to wait until next week to get some because only one person can be served as there is but one bull in the fight.”

So the next week the man goes in and orders the Rocky Mountain Oysters. He is in luck because he got there and ordered them first. They were frying and he smelled the wonderful smell and could hardly wait.

When they were brought out however, he was disappointed in the size of them. The ones he saw served the last week had been bigger. He ate them and before leaving he commented that they had been small.

“Well I am sorry Señor, but sometimes the bull he wins!”

jaybird
09-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Oooh, that's bad Tony!
~groan~

tony barnhill
09-27-2006, 10:20 PM
But, I'm having fun with this thread! Wanna hear another?

jaybird
09-27-2006, 10:24 PM
No.

So did the monkey brains taste like mushrooms? Chuck ate monkey meat when he was in the service. Possibly your leftover monkey?

tony barnhill
09-27-2006, 10:26 PM
It was in 1968 & I followed it with so much terrible tasting Vietnamese beer that I had a hangover & was sick for days - from the warm beer!

jaybird
09-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Suuuuuuuuuuure it was the warm beer Tony. We believe you. 1968, Chuck was in then too. I'm certain it was your leftover monkey.

I was just a young hippie then, still in high school, not even driving.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

jlaird
09-27-2006, 10:43 PM
Tony we use to get treated to Monkey Blood wine up in Laos. Never got to the brain stuff. After all I was not Army.

tony barnhill
09-27-2006, 10:45 PM
I've traveled the world over in some highly sensitive positions, most dealing with either teaching or supporting indigenous peoples...in those positions, one always works to gain their confidence...that means understanding their culture & living as they live...including eating what they eat.

So, in Germany, I ate Gebackenes Euter (you don't want to know), on an island in the middle of the Bering Strait I ate seal brain fritters, on one of the northern Japanese islands, seal flippers, in Belgium, raw horse meat, & in Korea stuff that even I don't want to know (going back for the month of December)....but, there aren't many free ranging dogs or cats in that country!

Randi
09-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Bear- but I wouldn't eat it.........I worked for a game processor in Wyoming. A bear never gets rigamortis. When it is skinned it looks just like a human, We hung it in a cooler and when the Hormel man brought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif our half & quarter beef deliveries. we put a wig and gloves on it and hid in the basement as he went through the coolers.......all we heard was oh #@$# and this poor man runnning through the coolers while we all died laughing-except he wouldn't come pack whith our orders so we hadto pay double to get our orders out to the restraunts!!!!!!!!! A bear has an exact duplicate of a human body chest & all-----like cutting up your brother-our butcher would call in sick if he knew one was coming in! what wonderful tidbits of info we share!! Randi

apbos
09-28-2006, 01:04 AM
Gebackenes Euter
Euter=udder
500 gm cow's udder (a generous lb)
1 egg, beaten
1 plain breadcrumbs
100 gm butter (7 tbsp)
1 salt
1 pepper

In order to remove all traces of milk, put the udder into lukewarm water and let soak for 2 to 4 hours, permitting the water to cool off. Then cook the udder in a 2-percent to 3- percent salt water solution until tender. Remove from the cooking liquid and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices. Let the slices dry a bit. Season on both sides, dip into whisked egg, and then into breadcrumbs. Fry in butter, turning once, until golden brown on both sides. Serve with lettuce. Serves 4.

apbos
09-28-2006, 01:16 AM
Biest(dutch) sounds like Beast in english. Now health food nuts pay extra for it.
On the farm we ate about everything from the the cow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif.
Paul

Steve_S
09-28-2006, 01:28 AM
Ok, now that's disgusting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

catfood
09-28-2006, 07:44 AM
Hartebeast
Crocodile
Ostrich
Zebra...

One of the best restaurants I've ever been to

Carnivore (https://www.africanmeccasafaris.com/kenya/nairobi/excursions/carnivore.asp)

anthony7777
09-28-2006, 07:49 AM
tony, people can easily say they wouldnt eat certain things when sitting at home with a full belly, they would amaze themselves after not eating anything after four or five days though! just need a week or so of survival school to learn em. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

michalotti_tr
09-28-2006, 08:54 AM
Boy did I make a mistake reading this thread - Jaybird, you are evil! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Yeah, I ate some weird and disgusting stuff during survival school (and other times), but I try not to bring it back up - then or now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif (ok, bad joke - I know)

I admit I have never understood why some people thinks it makes them tough or 'a real man' because of something they ate - my brother-in-law used to brag about how tough he was because he ate hot peppers all the time ... until his ulcer put him in the hospital. Now I never hear a peep from him.

JamesWilson
09-28-2006, 09:10 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

Most of the weird and nasty stuff I've recently eaten has been vegetarian... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

Though I do avoid unusual animals and/or unusual parts of familiar ones....

I eat for enjoyment and nourishment, survival isn't an issue... though the native vegetarians need such mollification once in a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

ecurie_ecosse
09-28-2006, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

Most of the weird and nasty stuff I've recently eaten has been vegetarian... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

Though I do avoid unusual animals and/or unusual parts of familiar ones....

I eat for enjoyment and nourishment, survival isn't an issue... though the native vegetarians need such mollification once in a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I guess that all rules out haggis James. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
I try most things at least once,mushrooms? a no-no /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif
(and I mean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif,literally.)
My mother used to say(when we wouldn't eat our supper)"You'll eat that,before it eats you!"
For me the bad thing is brussells sprouts.

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

lesingepsycho
09-28-2006, 09:39 AM
So far the one thing this thread has proven to me is that if you slice anything into quarter to half inch slices and fry them up, people will eat it. Secondly, people have half to quarter as much good sense as good taste (or is that vice-versa)!

JACK

ecurie_ecosse
09-28-2006, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So far the one thing this thread has proven to me is that if you slice anything into quarter to half inch slices and fry them up, people will eat it. Secondly, people have half to quarter as much good sense as good taste (or is that vice-versa)!

JACK

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmm! Have to chew that over Jack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

tony barnhill
09-28-2006, 09:47 AM
....& I've learned that, while we in America think the rest of the world eats strange things, the rest of the world thinks we eat strange things!

Steve
09-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Tony's monkey brains still have my vote.....

Liver & onions were a staple in the UK, and in my area ******s were a favourite (look it up) together with mushy peas. Jellied eel, pigs feet and brains (could never eat those personally).

DrEntropy
09-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Went thru "snake school" in the Phillipines (twice... long, silly story: team of USAF & Army SF in a "bonding" exercise), arctic survival in Washington state, water survival here in Florida. Egress/ejection seat training & altitude chamber card in Virginia... ate steak in the last two instances. The others were not so "civilised" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ate with the natives (not th' "yards" tho) in-country (RVN) & Laos. No CLUE what some of *that* stuff was, don't care. I gotta say: I'd eat anything Thai folk presented. Those people know how to eat. Even tried "Nook-mam"... That ranks at the top of my "No Thanks" list. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jlaird
09-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Oh my word, my son loves Nook-mam. He was in country at just the right age I expect. You all know that is fermented fish juice.

Nunyas
09-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Nook-mam..... that wouldn't happen to be the chicken eggs thing would it? I know some cultures prefer the duck egg version. I've watched my mother eat both, and I can easily say that I've never ever had any kind of desire to even try that stuff....

DrEntropy
09-28-2006, 04:56 PM
By "fermented" he means fish buried in th' back yard in a barrel for six months... drain off th' renderings and PRESTO!!! Ice cream topping!!!

~BLECH!~

kennypinkerton
09-28-2006, 05:42 PM
On the veggie level...

I once ate poke-berries (had to get my stomach pumped - but they tasted good), used to love chewing on sasafrass leaves, and I once ate a dandelion but spit it out.

I love mushrooms. I make little mini-pizzas sometimes from portebellos. fried mushrooms are great, and stuffed-fried mushrooms are even better.

I also love brussel sprouts... boiled, and then basted in butter - yummy!!!!!

Spinach is one of my favorites too, but I'm not buying anymore for a while. Mustard greens are good, collard greens are ok, turnip greens are ok too, but I'd rather be eating the turnip.

Wilt is pretty good (made by pouring hot bacon grease over fresh greens or even lettuce).

Back to meat...
I used to love head-cheese (souse meat in the south) until I watched my grandmother make some... I had no clue why she called it head cheese until then.
Liverworst is awsome, especially the fat ring. Braunschwiezer is just as good (goes great spread on crackers). Calf livers cut into 4ths, floured and fried are awsome and go great with butter sauted mushrooms and onions, and gravy from the pan drippings - MMMMMmmmmmmmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Baz
09-28-2006, 05:46 PM
I've heard of head cheese, not being a native, I have no idea what it is. I know it's animal parts, but could you please enlighten me?

kennypinkerton
09-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Pretty much everything that's not normally use on a pig for meat or sausage is ground up, boiled, and gells into a molded gelatinous meatloaf (it's mostly the pigs entire head, but I've heard that they actually put the squeal in there too).

Ziegler sells it in supermarkets as sliced sandwich meat... but there's is ground to a fine consistancy kind of like liverworst, grandma left it nice n chunky. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Randi
09-28-2006, 05:57 PM
true,true,true-Hog Head Cheese.......Randi(PASS) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

kennypinkerton
09-28-2006, 06:01 PM
I would like to try haggis one day, but I'll pass on the lutefisk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ecurie_ecosse
09-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Haggis is the Scottish version of "Boudin",well,almost! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

tony barnhill
09-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Nook-man is worse than live monkey brains!!

jaybird
09-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Doc, nook-mam, isn't that fish sauce or something? Oooh, I do love Thai food.

Add ostrich and buffalo to my list, totally forgot about those.

jaybird
09-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Haggis isn't all that great either Kenny.

My gramma used to make hoghead cheese (gawd I'd forgotten about that - funny how traumatic experiences tend to get blocked from your memory!) - AND blood sausage. EWWW EWWW EWWW! The amurikins version of black pudding or something!

Add those both to my list though. If it counts when I was a little tyke that would put anything into her mouth if it was called 'food.' Spat both those out on Gramma's floor!

Haggis isn't even close to boudin. Boudin rocks. Boudin blanc that is, nooo nooo noooooooooooooooo to boudin rouge!

tony barnhill
09-28-2006, 08:15 PM
No, Janel, it ain't your normal Thai fish sauce....the Vietnamese I knew took raw fish, wrapped them in leaves & buried them until the pungent odor crept up through the ground...when it was 'ready' (i.e., the fish had decayed into a liquid mush; several months), they poured it over food as a kind of sauce or used it as a dip.....randid stuff that enough vietnamese beer to knock you out won't cleanse the taste from your mouth!

Oh...nuoc mam...pronounced "nook mahm"

kennypinkerton
09-28-2006, 08:19 PM
The main reason I want to try haggis is because it looks like minced meat pie. I'm sure after I get a chewey chunk of some grisley part, I'll gross out and not eat any more, but it looks delicious.

Randi
09-28-2006, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Haggis is the Scottish version of "Boudin",well,almost! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifWHAT ARE YOU CRAZY????????uh sorry but I'm not even from down here and that's saying the hard crap in a bag is cracklin---NONONONONO- and my husban loves hagus and debris & yes debrie is an apt description!!!!!!!!! Boudan can be made with shrimp & crawfish & rice in a sausage casing pork beef all kinds of things all enclosed in a casing/Randi C. Lee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Howard_The_Duck
09-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Mmmm... red boudin. Yum. With blood and all.

Banjo
09-28-2006, 10:39 PM
I bet the writers for "fear factor" are reading this thread right now.
Summa youse guys is sick!
It's like that cheese that some remote village in Europe somewhere makes. they make the cheese and let the flies lay eggs in it, then after all the maggots hatch and eat the cheese, what's left is this kind of "cheese" that this village considers a delicacy...... NOT ME!

Edit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had it all wrong! here's an artical on the maggot cheese, and more!!!
Casu Marzu (aka Maggot Cheese)
Thanks to Mark Holah (aka Rennet) for bringing the Sardinian specialty known as Casu Marzu to my attention. Casu Marzu is a type of pecorino cheese infested with thousands of wriggling maggots. If the maggots are still wriggling, then it's okay to eat (if you have a strong stomach). If the maggots aren't wriggling, that means the cheese has become toxic. The wikipedia entry for Casu Marzu is so bizarre, that you'd swear it has to be a joke:

Derived from Pecorino Sardo, casu marzu goes beyond typical fermentation to a stage most would consider to be decomposition, brought about by the digestive action of the larvae of the cheese fly, Piophila casei. These larvae are deliberately introduced to the cheese, promoting an advanced level of fermentation and breaking down the cheese's fats. The texture of the cheese becomes very soft, with some liquid (called "lagrima") seeping out. The larvae themselves appear as transparent, white worms, about 8 mm (1/3 inch) long. When disturbed, the larvae can jump for distances up to 15 cm (6 inches), prompting recommendations of eye protection for those eating the cheese. Some people clear the larvae from the cheese before consuming; others do not.

However, Casu Marzu is quite real. It's been described in a number of newspapers and magazines including The Wall Street Journal and Bon Appetit. Taras Grescoe recently wrote about it in The Devil's Picnic: A Tour of Everything the Governments of the World Don't Want You to Try.

Apparently Casu Marzu isn't even the most disgusting food Sardinians eat. According to a 2004 article in Australian Magazine, that honor goes to 'tordi':

These are small, 10cm-long songbirds that feed on the island's plentiful myrtle berries. They are netted and poached, then served cold, three or four at a time, garnished with myrtle leaves. Their eyes are black, haunting, their necks spindly. They look like a plateful of baby dinosaurs. You are supposed to eat them whole - everything but the beak - in a few crunches.

If one is going to try some Casu Marzu, I think the perfect drink to wash it down would be some Army Worm Wine.

swift6
09-28-2006, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the Sardinian specialty known as Casu Marzu

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that figures. That is one weird Island.

JamesWilson
09-29-2006, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Casu Marzu

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm going to stop reading postings to this.

Its almost enough to put me off my food.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

DrEntropy
09-29-2006, 06:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nook-man is worse than live monkey brains!!

[/ QUOTE ]

By a large, large margin IMO! I was thankful to get back to Thailand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

michalotti_tr
09-29-2006, 07:51 AM
Suddenly, the Muslim's fasting for the Ramadan holiday is sounding appealing ....

jaybird
09-29-2006, 09:13 AM
This thread is staying PUT! Keep talking, because you guys and this thread is the single best diet plan I've ever had. I'll lose my 5 pounds by Monday at this rate!!!

ecurie_ecosse
09-29-2006, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Haggis is the Scottish version of "Boudin",well,almost! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifWHAT ARE YOU CRAZY????????uh sorry but I'm not even from down here and that's saying the hard crap in a bag is cracklin---NONONONONO- and my husban loves hagus and debris & yes debrie is an apt description!!!!!!!!! Boudan can be made with shrimp & crawfish & rice in a sausage casing pork beef all kinds of things all enclosed in a casing/Randi C. Lee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haggis is made from offal (sometimes spelled "awful!)But boudin is a lot spicier,whether it's "blanc" or "rouge".
And probably better tasting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif(btw,I'm not from "down here" either.)

Baz
09-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Mad cow disease hasn't put a stop to people eating it?

ecurie_ecosse
09-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Apparently not,mind you it is made up of mostly sheep bits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I'd eat haggis before lutefisk any day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jaybird
09-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Was getting a little hungry, a burger on the way to my sister-in-law's was sounding too good. Had to read this thread for diet control. It worked, having a Slimfast instead.

Ya'll keep up the good work!

JamesWilson
09-29-2006, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...having a Slimfast instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given what people are talking about eating I'm having a Scotch, or two....

A liquid diet... and a nice nightcap.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

ecurie_ecosse
09-29-2006, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...having a Slimfast instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given what people are talking about eating I'm having a Scotch, or two....

A liquid diet... and a nice nightcap.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif In fact I might just do the same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Slainthe`

Baz
09-29-2006, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Slainthe` /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Iechud Dda.

Howard_The_Duck
09-29-2006, 06:13 PM
speaking of liquor, my buddy said when he went to saudi arabia, he tried this foul stuff called "uzo" (i dont know how to spell it, but thats how it sounds)

he said it made everclear seem like water. he said he didnt remember anything for 3 days. now THATS potent.

ecurie_ecosse
09-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Ah! another Celt.I forgot you were there Baz.
Iechud Dda to you too./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tony barnhill
09-29-2006, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he tried this foul stuff called "uzo"

[/ QUOTE ]

Greek fire water! It'll make you forget what planet you're on!

JamesWilson
09-29-2006, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he tried this foul stuff called "uzo"

[/ QUOTE ]

Greek fire water! It'll make you forget what planet you're on!

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the trouble it got Oedipus into....

jaybird
09-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Ouzo.

Licorice flavored Greek firewater. I've done a few shots of that stuff. Ooowee. The key to drinking ouzo is to eat snacks. It keeps the effects of the ouzo from overwhelming you and enables you to sit and drink slowly for hours in a profoundly calm state of mind where all is beautiful and life is fine. Until you try to stand.

Howard_The_Duck
09-29-2006, 11:02 PM
I think I might just stick to getting enlightened by my starbucks coffee IV. LOL

Basil
09-29-2006, 11:59 PM
I don't think I can come close to some of the "stuff" I've read in this post, but when I was a little boy I used to love mustard and sugar sandwiches. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Keoke
09-30-2006, 12:07 AM
I knew it ,I knew it, I knew it; SHG!, I have suspected all along that there musta been sumpin wrong wid that 7777 fella.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Keoke
09-30-2006, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the strangest would be a piece of baby octopus tentacle at the chinese restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]
--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

--------- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Er, Was it male or female makes a big difference in the taste you know!---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Keoke
09-30-2006, 12:59 AM
Well the secret is when your guest takes you out to dinner in Kunming China Do not ask what you are eating. One of the most popular dishes there is; Dog Meat and noodles and Chicken Dog Meat soup!-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Both very expensive--Keoke

Now you know why I only like Japanese food.--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Bugeye58
09-30-2006, 06:14 AM
I'm with Tony on the monkey brains, but the Ba Mui Ba beer was disgusting.
I've done lots of snake and insects of all types, drank cobra blood, and eaten rancid seal flipper.
Once, at a Province Chiefs' house in Viet Nam, we ate what looked like scrambled eggs with mushrooms and green peppers, but I guarantee wasn't. Nuc Mam is still something I like, but is hard to find in the states.
Ate baby Harp Seal in Labrador, and Jaguar in Panama.
Food is food, as far as I'm concerned.
Jeff

DrEntropy
09-30-2006, 06:27 AM
Yup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif...

but I'd still turn my nose up at nook-mam. "Unnecessary embellishment" and not a "food" per-se. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Nunyas
09-30-2006, 01:56 PM
hmmm... never had it, and never will... but I'm still suprised that no one's mentioned balot eggs yet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

Keoke
09-30-2006, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif...

but I'd still turn my nose up at nook-mam. "Unnecessary embellishment" and not a "food" per-se. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why ? ain't nothin but salad dressing.---Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sqrrig
09-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Baloots (PI and Norfolk, VA) Iguana (Curacao) Beetle soup (Thailand) Something I suspect was dog (Korea) Whatever was in the caribo's stomach (Alaska)

I refuse to eat a fish that makes your lips tingle.

When overseas, I always tried to eat local. Learned real quick NOT to ask what was in whatever I was eating. Did ask what the local name was, so I could get it again (or not!)

Food is FUN!!!!!!!!!!

Don

Keoke
09-30-2006, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hmmm... never had it, and never will... but I'm still suprised that no one's mentioned balot eggs yet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean "Baloot" eggs : Japanese did not like them either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif They be a pretty hard one to suck on-Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sammyb
09-30-2006, 10:26 PM
My wife's cooking.

tony barnhill
09-30-2006, 10:32 PM
So, 3 of us have "enjoyed" warm monkey brains straight out of the skull of a live, wigglying monkey....me, Anthony777, & Jeff (Bugeye58)!

Keoke
09-30-2006, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My wife's cooking.

[/ QUOTE ]

-------------------Bet you not hungry now!----------Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Keoke
09-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Yeah Tony, I figured that Anthony fella had Monkey brains.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Keoke
09-30-2006, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...thing you've ever eaten.

I'll make a list. AFTER I eat.

[/ QUOTE ]

---- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

----------JayBird !, you got that list made up yet ?.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jlaird
10-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Oh gosh, could not get Baloot down, just could not do it.

Scott_Hower
10-01-2006, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
speaking of liquor, my buddy said when he went to saudi arabia, he tried this foul stuff called "uzo" (i dont know how to spell it, but thats how it sounds)

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to drink it ICE cold; strain it over ice cubes, it turns milky white. Nasty hangover tho. I think it's Greek.

zblu
10-01-2006, 10:02 AM
ouzo! once was enough!, never touched it since!
but speaking of the culinary oddities mine are witchettty grubs, actually nice!
and oysters off the reef, nibbled live off the shell with worcestshire sauce, and a beer in hand, how does one describe a live oyster going down your gullet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

anthony7777
10-01-2006, 10:37 AM
zblu,"Oytsters" yummy! tell me what reef, meet ya there ill bring the beer, umm yummy, yummy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

swift6
10-01-2006, 11:15 AM
A popular after lunch drink with older Italians, at least in the area that I lived, was 'Espresso con Ouzo'. A shot of Espresso and a shot of Ouzo, together not seperate. Helps the digestion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

anthony7777
10-01-2006, 11:45 AM
scott,its totally illegal to drink alcohol in saudi arabia i wouldnt want to get cought doing so!, yes "uzo" is greek and can be very nasty, they have another drink there called "sediki" not sure of the spelling. but it means "friend" in thier lingo, i had a friend stationed there for one reason or another i wont get into that here, but for a year or so hed asked me to sent him a number of copper and brass toilet fittings,tubing,valves etc,i didnt understand why untill i was assigned to spend a week at his residence there, turns out since he couldnt buy booze hed made his own still,producing "sediki" it could be mixed with anything and could be made to taste like, scotch, gin, burbon,rum,or any other hard booze,well i just had to try it for scientific reasons ya know, it had a bit of an "edge" to it but not bad all in all,i mixed my 6 oz. dose with coke, first sip rendered a nice body warming sensation,second sip challenged my verbal skills,third sip was immobilizing, forth sip i dont remember at all,woke up the next morning in the same chair feeling refreshed and relaxed not a sign of a hang over, i was told the absence of such was attributed to the clarity of and lack of impuritys in the brew, had i but known of my friends new self tought skills i wouldnt have taken the great change of being arrested by customs upon entering the country by my smuggling in two bottles of mouth wash filled with "johnny walker black" that was a very dangerous chance indeed, the only long lasting ill effect of drinking "sediki" was the degeneration of my word spelling ability. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

tony barnhill
10-01-2006, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
scott,its totally illegal to drink alcohol in saudi arabia

[/ QUOTE ]

But not if you cross the causeway into Bahrain! hehehehe

apparently, the prophet can't see what's happening on the island because there sure were a lot of Saudi's over there drinking!

& did you know that a case of beer slides into one of the old C-ration cases perfectly?

Baz
10-01-2006, 02:18 PM
A nameless submarine once berthed in Bahrain, and nameless sailors made a killing selling Fosters and John Smiths.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

DrEntropy
10-01-2006, 03:06 PM
A few of what are likely those same nameless submariners thundered into a drinking hole in Bangkok once while I was there. They seemed AWFULLY sure of their ability/capacity for consumption of grog in any form... Us flyboys proceeded over the course of hours to put them under the bar. Found out they'd had NO alcohol aboard ship. Outta practice, apparently. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Baz
10-01-2006, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Found out they'd had NO alcohol aboard ship. Outta practice, apparently. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not Brits then....

DrEntropy
10-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Khaki shorts 'n knee socks tho. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

These lads were from Oz. We thought it strange (the "no booze on th' boat") too.

anthony7777
10-01-2006, 06:25 PM
tony, ya that was our "taxi" runs, from all over saudi and other parts of the world to "bahrain" then back after a couple a days, sometimes ya kinda scare me with what ya know! ah keoke must be on vacation or sumtin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tony barnhill
10-01-2006, 06:33 PM
As you cross onto Bahrain, off the left side of the bridge, way out on the sandy beach was an abandoned Riva...I even hiked out to it one day...wasn't on a trailer but was intact....couldn't convince anybody to go back with me to grab it.

anthony7777
10-01-2006, 06:36 PM
keoke, your right, they say that what separates man from monkey is the ability for man to manufacture "tools" i.e (rear axle nut wrench) perhaps thats why i was able to build mine and you bought yours? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

sparkydave
10-02-2006, 07:52 AM
Strangest thing I've ever eaten? Probably octopus sushi. It was actually pretty good though. Never got around to trying escargot though.

Nastiest stuff I've ever eaten? That's easy. Spam. I can't stand it.

JamesWilson
10-02-2006, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My wife's cooking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe we should have another series- with the worst things inflicted on us by our better halves....

My British wife made the weirdest Hamburgers once: used some left over Minestroni SOUP to mix in with the beef. "Just using up the left overs...." she said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

I've not let her make burgers since.

AND I'm real careful about what gets left-over too....

I've offered her services to MacDonalds as a culinary consultant but they've lost my number I think..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

DrEntropy
10-02-2006, 04:57 PM
heh... I saw your name as th' latest poster and imagined: "Road-kill 'dillo" as a topic would somehow come into play. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SWMBO (English by birth, Ukranian-German by heritage/genetics) has FINALLY learned how to assemble a respectable lasagne... only took me THIRTY years of UN-training her. The DiCarlo family ravioli recipe is next onna list. I'm hoping THAT won't take quite as long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

anthony7777
10-02-2006, 05:35 PM
tony, dont ya just hate it when your buds dont have the enthusiasme as you! i tried to herd three camels up the stairs of a g-4 one night, woke up in a chair,uhm, ya wasnt drinkin any of that "sediki" stuff that night was ya? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

anthony7777
10-02-2006, 05:51 PM
doce, ravioli, ravioli, i live souly for ravioli, my third and last wife is filipino, her menu is greatly influanced by the chinese,japanese, and several hundred years a spains occupancy, cooks "eye-ty" like my great grand mom (dads side sicilian) like they say "she may be ugly but she sure can cook" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DrEntropy
10-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Ravi's were a "family affair" in my youth: an "assembly line" to make 'em and prep 'em for Sunday dinner at grandma's house. The other thing I miss is a Christmas eve tradition (Roman, not the "Siziliano") is a vermicelli with anchovie sauce. Most "visiting" folk would try not to retch as they passed the bowl... I'd eat a pound of thin pasta with that sauce on it right now, no question.

That has been a puzzlement for me for a while: I'll voraciously devour that spaghetti-fish concoction yet nook-mam has me running the other way. We are the products of our environs after all, apparently. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

anthony7777
10-02-2006, 06:23 PM
doce, my great grand mama, was born xmass day and 101 years later died on xmass day to the hour, she was so meen the brooklyn garbage men were afraid of her, but man could she cook never saw a box of posta in her house she made everything fresh and by hand, at easter she would make a pastry that looked like a twisted pretsel with an egg in the middle, sweet and the egg was always cooked just right, ive been to italy several times at diff. times of year but could not find anything like it,over the years ive spoken to people that know about this treat but dont know its name or recipe, does this ring a bell in your youthfull memory?

DrEntropy
10-02-2006, 06:31 PM
"KNOCKS!" Honey was poured over 'em!!! Li'l cuts on the outer edges.

anthony7777
10-02-2006, 06:45 PM
doce, thats right! honey was poured over them! knocks! ya just knoked me out, im gunna search that, see if i can find a recipe, ill search the round chubby "eye-ty" with the blond hair and pony tail on t.v . whats his name,wow glad i asked ya , wow it think we got sumtin here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

catfood
10-03-2006, 07:54 AM
On holiday in Borneo our local guide said they eat anything with two or more legs and the sun on its back (which only seems to rule out slugs and snails as far as I can see). Can't quite see how sea cucumber has the sun on its back but it was on the menu. Couldn't quite bring myself to try it after seeing them scavenging the sea bottom a few hours before.

Sea Cucumbers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_cucumber)

anthony7777
10-04-2006, 07:58 PM
catfood,"whatdamaddah" didnt you ever eat lobster or crabs? what do you think the do? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

tony barnhill
10-04-2006, 08:24 PM
anthony....one day my sergeant major & I were stoppeed at a checkpoint waiting for traffic to move forward when an old Saudi man hopped in the back seat...I called the Saudi guard over & he told me the old man needed a ride...what am I to do?

Well, we're riding along when suddenly the old man points out across the desert - no landmarks, nothing but he wanted us to turn off the road...quickly I flipped on our GPS & we headed out across the desert...after a while, we came to a tent village & the old man had us stop...kids, women, young men all came out to meet us & were happy we had brought the old man home...a young fellow who spoke some English invited us to the camel races....now, lemme tell you that's something to watch...you sit in the sand under a "gentlemen's tent", drinking tea while everyone is smoking from water pipes (yep, you can guess)...suddenly all these camels come racing by - everybody jumps up yelling as they race by over the horizon...then we sit downand have tea & lunch (turned out to be roasted pigeon & desert grass) while we're waiting for the camels to come back by....but by then the smoke from the water pipes had me so high I didn't care what I ate...

After the races as we were leaving, I had to ask my SGM which vehicle was ours - but there was only 1 vehicle there - he said he thought he had driven there in the left vehicle...hehehehehe...

GPS took us back to where we had left the road hours before but the tracks in the sand looked like a snake had made them...interesting afternoon, thank goodness there were no random drug tests for either of us.....but, ya gotta do things like that to "feel" a country!

tiga2
10-04-2006, 09:46 PM
..eggplant!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Nothing can top that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

Keoke
10-04-2006, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
..eggplant!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Nothing can top that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw your folks just don't know how to cook it.You slice it into pieces ~ 1/2" thick, remove the skin then make a batter out of egg yolk and bread crumbs smother the eggplant in it then fry.--GREAT!--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

tony barnhill
10-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Fried eggplant - great stuff! Goes super with fried okra!

jlaird
10-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Yep yep, and it is very appropiate to give a lift to whom ever.

anthony7777
10-05-2006, 07:09 PM
keoke, thats a great recipe simple fast and delish! use it all the time but as per great granny i first soak the sliced egg plant in a salt and water solution to take out any bitterness, see we almost agree on somthin! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Banjo
10-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Amazing! How did this thread actually spawn an edible recipe?
Went out for Chineese tonight.... I was trying hard not to think of this thread.

tony barnhill
10-05-2006, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it is very appropiate to give a lift to whom ever

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny thing is he never asked for a ride....just got in the backseat...when we called the Saudi guard over & he spoke with the old man, all he said was that the man needed a ride....it was matter-of-fact.

jaybird
10-05-2006, 09:08 PM
I am amazed and appalled that not ONE person in 141 replies (albeit not all are ON topic ~evil grin~) NOT ONE PERSON has mentioned the worst, the nastiest, grossest, most frightening food of all.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
FRUITCAKE!

Baz
10-05-2006, 09:09 PM
I like fruitcake.

jaybird
10-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Don't get me started on fruitcake! I have a fruitcake in my deep freeze downstairs that's at least 20 years old. In fact, I know it's older because we've been here 27 years this month and I moved that sucker from our other house. My mother-in-law used to make them. It's wrapped in a bourbon-soaked rag on the bottom of the freezer, next to the flowers off the top layer of my wedding cake.

tony barnhill
10-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Fruitcake's not food, Janel.

jaybird
10-05-2006, 09:24 PM
My point exactly Tony. It is many things...chock block for MGs, door stop, hammer, boat anchor, dumbbells, roofing material, heck, we could use it instead of whatever for nuclear safesuits or whatever they're called. Heck, we could use it in place of nuclear weapons. In place of ANY weapons.

But it not food.

tony barnhill
10-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Well, there ya go....you asked for the nastiest thing we'd eaten - nobody's ever eaten a fruit cake!

jaybird
10-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Sure they have. And if they survived, they most likely won't admit it.

ecurie_ecosse
10-06-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm with Barry on this one.I like fruit cake,but the ones with the rum or sherry or any other liquour are the best!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif But I've found that not many Americans seem to like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gifYou just need something smooth to wash it down with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif (fruit cake after haggis helps the scotch go down.)

Keoke
10-06-2006, 01:08 PM
FRUIT CAKE Nasty !!--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif--Keoke.

anthony7777
10-06-2006, 04:24 PM
tony, ya sometimes ya need to self induce the "munchies" to eat some of that stuff! pigeon and bad with grass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kennypinkerton
10-06-2006, 06:12 PM
My 2 favorite ways to eat eggplant... sliced thick, breaded (with parmesian), and fried - eat with lots of marinara and mozzarella. Also, sliced thin, and used in place of lasagna noodles in a big eggplant lasagna.

Spam Spam spam spam Spam... It's one of the best processed meat products you can buy... it's good fried, hot, cold, fresh from the can... and the gelatinous fatty stuff that comes out of the can with it is great too - sluuurrrrp!!!!

I'd have to say another gross (but very tasty) treat is a regular old individually wrapped hot Penrose Sausage. Just don't read the label (for the ingredients, or to find out how long it sat on the shelf of the ancient convenience store you bought it in). What is tripe, BTW? Pork snout, and beef lips are self explainatory - hehehehhehe.

Anyone ever eat an egg salad sandwich from the gas station? - What color was it?

Don't ever look inside a Tuna Melt.

Oh, and I've eaten eel before. - both cooked, and as raw as they serve it in a sushi bar.

ecurie_ecosse
10-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Tripe is the stomach lining of beef cattle,usually.It looks like toweling.My father ate it boiled and in hot milk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif
If that doesn't put you off,you can eat anything Kenny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Banjo
10-06-2006, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(fruit cake after haggis helps the scotch go down.)

[/ QUOTE ]
That sound like a song from a really twisted version of "Mary Poppins" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Baz
10-06-2006, 07:14 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

TRMark
10-06-2006, 10:00 PM
I know I have mentioned this before, but I did make some spotted dick after having consumed an immoderate amount of alcohol and deciding to do a kitchen adventure. It was pretty awful, than again it could have been my diminished capacity to follow the recipe. But, I don't think so.

Keoke
10-07-2006, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tripe is the stomach lining of beef cattle,usually.It looks like toweling.My father ate it boiled and in hot milk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif
If that doesn't put you off,you can eat anything Kenny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You by any chance be talking bout Chitllins??. Very popular dish through the South /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Keoke
10-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Yep Anthony I soak it too. I guess I should have mentioned that, otherwise they might keep on thinking it be nasty.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif