PDA

View Full Version : classic car insurance

nevets
09-26-2006, 04:53 PM
just wondering if anyone can recommend a good resource for classic car insurance? I don't know if this subject has been covered previously anywhere on this site and if it has, please direct me to the thread. thanks

DART
09-26-2006, 05:54 PM
I think you can find more than one thread searching insurance. But...Hagerty is at many car shows as a sponsor and is supposed to be good; I use Condon & Skelly who write thru MetLife Auto. I believe both these allow you to use a declared value. The searched threads will undoubtedly give you more, better info.

sammyb
09-26-2006, 11:56 PM
I've used Hagerty and American Collectors Insurance (have some cars on Hagerty policy and my Dodge and Miata on the American Collector right now.) Grundy is also a good carrier. Just go to the web sites and compare rates for your specific car/valuation/state. Any one of the companies is fine, so go for the best rate.

Steve_S
09-27-2006, 07:31 PM
I use Grundy Worldwide. Other good companies I've come across are Haggerty and J.C. Taylor. Research as many as you can and go with the policy which fits your useage best and has the lowest price.

Check mileage, storage and useage restrictions. Be sure to get an "agreed value compensation" policy so you will be fully reimbursed if the worst happens.

kennypinkerton
09-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Yep... I'm stuck with good old Allstate because I don't have a garage to store my vehicles in... Most of the classic car insurers ask that first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Peter_Rogers
09-27-2006, 08:02 PM
I like Hagerty as they give you roadside for a few bucks more - flatbed to your home ( up to 100 miles I think ) and declared value and no mileage limit as long as you prove you have a daily driver.

TRDejaVu
09-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Daily driver being the key. In our household there are 4 drivers and 3 cars. I work from home, use one of the 3 other cars (which I pay for) when I need to do something and rent a car if needed for business. However, none of the classic car insurers have caught up with the concept of someone not needing a daily driver. I offered to provide proof of this, but rules are rules. My regular insurance company, which I am otherwise happy with, won't do stated value coverage. Because of all that, I have had to go with Progressive and their exhorbitant rates for my hobby. I would be interested to know if there are any alternatives for someone working in a modern environment.

You may have guessed that I am not happy about this!!!

Steve_S
09-27-2006, 09:30 PM
As far as I know, all collector car insurance companies require one designated primary vehicle per licensed person in the household, which is not the collector car in question.

mattmacklind3
09-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Ditto on that. I started using Haggerty. I'm very happy with them. I've used their roadside assistance to tow my car to my mechanics from my house which was cool with them. I've never had a claim, but for 10K agreed value at $140/year its a great deal. I also have very high lability coverage as well. Since I had the engine rebuilt, I'm thinking of increasig the value to 12 or 15K.
https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/mattmacklind/P9240297Small2.jpg

jlaird
09-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Oh, I like the lights and the spoiler.