PDA

View Full Version : Spaghetti squash -- what the heck do I do with it?

jaybird
09-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Chuck brought one home. Now what?

GB1
09-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Janel:

1. Make a Pumpkin Pie
2. Make some Muffins
3. Put it by the front door
4. Put it on the table as a center piece

or

5. Squash it

Patrick

jaybird
09-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Good idea Patrick! Sounds disgusting to me.

KLUTZ
09-26-2006, 11:36 AM
X

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

martx-5
09-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Here's some info on spaghetti squash. (https://www.fabulousfoods.com/features/featuring/spagsquash.html)

Many years ago, I saw Julia Child make that stuff on TV. That's the only time I've ever seen it. It actually looks like spaghetti when you sccop it out.

jaybird
09-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Yea, it does look like spaghettie. Amazing the amount of that junk that came out of that squash. Stinks like squash though.

GB1
09-26-2006, 12:26 PM
I didn't realize what the inside was like.

Definitely an M80. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Patrick

Baz
09-26-2006, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely an M80. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif And far more entertaining.

jayhawk
09-26-2006, 03:29 PM
Use it like you would pasta-- especially with tomato/butter, cheese stuff. Add chicken, mild fish etc as you wish.

jaybird
09-26-2006, 03:49 PM
I rigged up my own concoction. Cooked the stuff, sauteed some onion and garlic in olive oil, then tossed in some mushrooms (hey since I'm not touching that squash I might as well get rid of those nasty mushrooms at the same time!) Added some chopped tomatoes, some basil, oregano, S&P and crushed red pepper flakes. Layered it in a dish with mozzerella between the layers. I'll toss it in the oven with the potatoes and serve it up to my unsuspecting family tonight.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

DART
09-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Ahhhhhhhh, can smell that delicious concoction from here. We like Spaghetti squash and have it frequently in the fall squash season. Would not buy it in supermarket, only direct from grower at a farmer's market.
ENJOY!!!

jsneddon
09-27-2006, 02:07 AM
Actually nuking it is pretty tasty. Just cut it in half and cover both sides with saran-wrap. It traps the steam and cooks it nicely. I'm thinking 15 minutes in my old "cancer-master-6000" but it's been a while. Then just scrape it out with a fork and add butter and some good parmesian cheese.

But I LIKE squash. Your mileage may vary.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

jaybird
09-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Well, Sarah & Rob LOVED it (Rob had 3 servings), Chuck liked it, Mom tolerated it and I - well, if I were dying of starvation and it was eat that or mushrooms, I'd eat it again.

DrEntropy
09-27-2006, 04:16 PM
I am baffled over "picky eaters". We're OMNIVORES! Have been for a while now. It's a survival trait, and a good one. I like some things better than others, sure, but I will generally eat ANYTHING wot's been prepped/cooked as FOOD.

Didya know ANTS taste a bit like lemon "zest"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

ecurie_ecosse
09-27-2006, 04:20 PM
And you can have them as a side with spaghetti squash. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Nunyas
09-27-2006, 04:22 PM
we may be omnivores, but it's my right to chose not to eat fungus, and things named after verbs... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh, sure, I'll eat whatever I have to if survival is at stake, but times aren't that desperate yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DrEntropy
09-27-2006, 04:27 PM
hmm... fungi are good and bad... SWMBO once declared to some co-workers: "OH! I thought the "bad" mushrooms were the "GOOD" mushrooms!"... she got some odd stares for it.

jaybird
09-27-2006, 04:38 PM
YOU might be a flesh-eating ominvore, but I'd prefer to leave dead animal flesh for others. I cook with mushrooms, I won't EAT them, outside an occasional portabello appetizer when I'm out with Sarah. I like squash, acorn with butter and brown sugar, zucchini deepfried or in this casserole I make. Grilled, sauteed, otherwise - yuck. Suppose it's more a texture thing. No, wait, that spagsquash didn't taste all that great!

I've eaten a lot of odd things, and don't consider myself a 'picky' eater. More a discriminating one. There are things I do not have to eat in order to survive. I'm with Nooney on that one!

Maybe we should start a new thread, what's the weirdest thing you've eaten.

Mickey Richaud
09-27-2006, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe we should start a new thread, what's the weirdest thing you've eaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm game - Chapulines - fried and seasoned grasshoppers in Oaxaca, Mexico. DELICIOUS!