PDA

View Full Version : Of course I have a problem... that's why I joined!

MsKitty
09-25-2006, 12:54 PM
So glad to find this site ... I'm dealing with a 1989 XJS V12, new battery, that refuses to start in the morning. Just a couple of turns of the engine, and the dreaded click-click sound appears. A short charge and it's OK, drives like a top -- and the next day, it won't start again. I think there must be a battery drain somewhere, but my husband (who hates 'them furin cars') says my problem is I assume I know too much ... help, Jag lovers! Got a suggestion?
Thanks,
Emily
(emilywlove@juno.com)

Steve
09-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Hi Emily,

Good to have you as a member. Hopefully we will be able to get this sorted out for you fairly quickly.

The XJS of this vintage did have some issues with relays. In fact we may have dealt with a similar problem in the past. I'll have to check for you, but in the meantime, have you noticed a clicking noise coming from the automatic seatbelts? That is one problem that I remember first-hand, on a brand-new 1989 model. Stay tumed.

You might want to duplicate this post in the Jaguar forum, that way it is guaranteed maximum exposure.........

Steve
09-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Here it is, Thanks to Jack Farrington.....

Loc: Huntsville, Alabama Re: XJS Draining battery
#12706 - 09/03/03 12:01 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Regarding the electric drain on an XJS; the normal drain for this car is about .03 amps with all accesories off. Common causes of drains over this amount are alternator defects, seat belt passive restraint motor continuing to run, and simple things like lights with stuck activating switches. To isolate the drain, set up the battery cables with a 10 amp meter in line with the battery. Begin to pull fuses or disconnect items until you find the culprit that is causing over over a .03 amp current from the battery. When this happens you have isolated the problem and you can focus on trouble shooting/ fixing it. The XJS is a simple car to conduct this procedure. The largest problem is undocumented fuses. Get a good wiring diagram of the car and the in line and undocumented fuses will be identified. Good luck in finding them. Best regards, Jack Farrington

tony barnhill
09-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Welcome Emily....if Jack says its a Jag problem/solution, its a Jag problem/solution!

R6MGS
09-25-2006, 10:18 PM
Welcome- Glad to have you....Good luck getting the Jag sorted!