PDA

View Full Version : my first autocross event

philman
09-24-2006, 04:12 PM
i entered my first autocross event ever in my TR7 FHC. I did ok, only getting lost once and knocking over a cone another run. attached a cell phone photo. I was the only british car entered.

09-24-2006, 06:57 PM
I'd say you came out first in your class! Good job. Now you're hooked.

Bill

PATR8
09-24-2006, 07:30 PM
But did you enjoy it? I loved my first auto cross... have lots of fun. We always ave a few minis (old ones) an alfa, and a few older cars... we all hang together... make sure you take advantage of havign a more senior guy ride with you as a guide

philman
09-25-2006, 08:32 AM
i had a great time. my car is bone stock, and I stayed in second the whole course. i don't know how i placed when the times are paxed, however, some 16 yr old girl in the novice class had a better time in a nissan altima 4 door sedan. most cars were hondas, subarus and vw's. a lot of american iron this time (i go and watch a lot). nothing exotic except maybe a mitsubishi(?) with a lotus badge.

billspit
09-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Unfortunately pretty much any Honda or similiar car can outrun an old British car. Its mostly about the fun. Grassroots Motorsports had a Honda Odessey van run against something like a Jag and beat it quite handily.

jayhawk
09-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Congrats on your run-- My first experience was in my stock Jetta GLI. The car was considerably more competent than I was. A guy in a full sized pickup beat all of us novices in our smallish cars. We learned later that his beater looking dodge was highly modified and he was a 20+ year vet of autocrossing.

Ab Crevoiserat
09-26-2006, 03:34 PM
You sound like you had a great time and that's what is is all about. I too ran my first autocross this year and I am hooked, I'm just trying to get as much seat time as I can for experience. I know that I'm not going to beat anybody right now, but each time I go I learn a something new and get a little more comfortable.

swift6
09-26-2006, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately pretty much any Honda or similiar car can outrun an old British car. Its mostly about the fun. Grassroots Motorsports had a Honda Odessey van run against something like a Jag and beat it quite handily.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a local (front range) driving instructor who also competes nationally in SCCA GT1/2. Anyway, I was at one of our local tracks (before they all started to get closed due to development) and he was instructing a couple in their race prepped MGB. They were having trouble with the line and braking points and such so to save time he took them out in his minivan and showed them the line, braking zones etc. This way he could give them both instruction at the same time for the basics. Then he backed it up with individual instruction in their MGB. Again I digress, the lap times in his mini van with three people in it shamed the MGB's best times that day.

It wasn't just the difference in cars though. The driver was the biggest factor there. And the driver can make a HUGE difference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

aeronca65t
09-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Congratulations on your first event! Pylon-racing is great fun! Thirty five years ago, it drew me into the stuff I'm still doing today.

It's really true that some folks are better at autocross than others.
One key to remember is that in many cases, it's more "the shortest distance" than "the best line".

A few years ago, I ran my Miata in an SCCA event here in NJ and a fellow in a mostly-stock '67 Plymouth Valiant walked away from almost everyone, including me....he was good!
I've autocrossed the Spridget too,....like you, I was the only Brit car at the event. Mostly Hondas, etc.

I'm better at road racing....I think I'm too hung up on taking the best line around the pylons.

My first event was actually called a "field trials" and some of the early events I ran were called "gymkhanas"....but all basically the same as an autocross.

My favorite autocross events back then were held at McGuire Air Force Base on the *huge* taxiways. This was in the late 60s. A Sprite could get to at least redline in third gear on those big layouts.

Here's me around '69 in an event at Neshaminy Mall in Pennsylvania. They didn't require helmets!
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/Cars/sprite_neshamall_autox.jpg

This picture was taken around 1970. The event was held in a community college parking lot in PA. Part of the course required you to stop, and back up until you hit a cone with your back bumper...and then drag race away in 1st! Not so good for Sprite axles!
https://npmccabe.tripod.com/spriteax1.jpg