PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust System Install Problem

MichaelG
09-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Folks,

I installed a new stainless exhaust on the 4A....solid axle system with 2 rear mufflers..falcon system w/ original style clamps. Problem is the leaks around the clamped
connections. For example where the double pipe enters front muffler and the connection to to the y - pipe behind the center muffler. The clamp connections are snug, but the leaks are substantial. I used a bit of anti-seize on the connections but that's it....thought that the connections had enough overlap, but limited due to rear muffler attach points and length of pipes on the individual components

Should I use a sealant on and around the flanges? If so what kind. Also, was concerned about overtightening the clamps and wonder if I need ome sort of band clamp behind the rear muffler as the combination clamp/hanger connected to the rear transmission mount does not seem all the effective.

Is there an exhaust system 101 step that I am missing? Anyone have the same problem,if so what was necessary to stop the leaks?

Thanks

Mike Godley
65 TR4A

PeterK
09-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Mike,

I had the exact problem on my 3A Falcon exhaust. To fix it, I used a muffler sealant around the inside pipe, then smeared over the edge of the outside pipe after installing. This must dry at least overnight or it will blow out. One the section where there was enough room (rear muffler) I also used a band clamp instead of the TR style (that just don't seal well enough for me). Advice on sealing the original clamps is to tighten hard, then loosen, turn 45 degrees until all edges are drawn to fit the inside pipe. I prefer the band clamp which doesn't deform the pipes so I can remove it later if needed.

MichaelG
09-24-2006, 05:29 PM
There are 2 slts slot cut out of the receiving pieces --- assume this is so the pipe can complete the seal over a connecting pipe.. Does the clamp go over cutout on the receiving piece , or "behind" them closer to the mufflers? I put them behind the cuts as I thought it would leak the other way.

PeterK
09-24-2006, 05:55 PM
The clamp need to go over the cut slits to compress them into the inner pipe.