PDA

View Full Version : Group Pic-Triumphs

aeronca65t
09-24-2006, 03:42 AM
I'll be at Summit Point, WV next weekend for a vintage event,so I've been looking around the 'net for some of my "competition".

A few of the Triumph guys I'll see are in this picture below (taken at Mosport). I have a feeling these guys will run away from me...oh well..

Anyway, it's a nice picture.
Can you ID all the models/types of Triumphs?

https://www.141.com/triumphs/Mosport2003/Group%20shot%20drivers.JPG

Alan_Myers
09-24-2006, 05:24 AM
Looks like my garaqe!

(I wish! Especially the TRS.)

Let's see...

Front row:
Tr4, TR4, Spit MkI or II, TRS, Macau Spit(?), TR4A or 250

Middle row:
TR4, TR4, Spit MkI or II, Spit Mk IV, TR4, TR4

Back row:
Spit Mk I or II, TR3A or "B", Spit MkIV, Spit Mk?, TR3A or "B", and TR7 or TR8.

Am I close? Did I win anything? Where're the Heralds?

At least we know where about half of all the currently running TR4s in the U.S. were when that photo was taken!

Neat pic!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Andrew Mace
09-24-2006, 07:25 AM
Pretty good, Alan, except that the Macau Spitfire is living in England; what you see next to the TRS is [NOT the Ambro Special, a TR3-based Special; rather it is the] Tornado Thunderbolt (see attached photo).

And as for Heralds, there is a Herald sedan run by a Jerry Barker (hope I have the name right) running in vintage events. I've got a bunch of pictures and someday will put some of them on my web site.

Oh, "aeronca65t," likely you'll be blown off the track by one or several of these folks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But having met many of them, they're (Fot, or Friends of Triumph) also about as nice, helpful and knowledgeable bunch of racers as you'll find anywhere!

Brosky
09-24-2006, 08:06 PM
That is one sweet looking group of cars! Ah...maybe the good old days are still here.

Winston
09-24-2006, 10:22 PM
I have to admit that the picture has been my computer screen pic since I saw it;
It has inspired me.
You probably know Ole Ruby is a resto mod, but golly you have to have fun.
Good weather next couple day's, lookin forward to the
cool Autumn evenings.
Thinking about getting serious, will need all hands on deck.
Or not.
Enjoy each day.

Basil
09-25-2006, 08:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<snip> what you see next to the TRS is the Ambro Special, a TR3-based Special.

[/ QUOTE ]

You answere the question I had before I asked it, thanks!

Basil

Simon TR4a
09-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Actually, Andy, I think that's Bill Dentinger in the Tornado, whom you know from the FoT.
Both Andy and Don Elliott, who occaisionally contributes to this forum and many others, can likely name most of the drivers as well as identifying the cars. Don is in the back row with his black non-race TR3, Trusty. The pale blue TR3 is Cornell Babcock, from New York, next to him is the TR8 of my buddy Gord Ballantine, who came 3rd. in the MG-Triumph challenge race.
The yellow TR4 in the second row is Henry Frye, the white Spit is Tom Strange, and the red one is Russ Moore. Jack Drews drives the blue Tr4 at the left end of the second row.
From the left, the front row is Tony Drews, the #197 of Joe Alexander, Susan Kahler (the car used to be red), the TRS, Bill's Thunderbolt and Irv Korey's TR4a.

All of them, including the ones I can't name(!) are keeping a sporting tradition alive, great stuff to watch and hear!
Simon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

Andrew Mace
09-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Egad, Simon, you are absolutely correct, and I thank you for correcting me! I apologize to all of you. Guess I'd gotten up too early that morning and hadn't had enough caffeine./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

There's more information and history of the car here (https://www.toddmizener.com/Beadyeye/hist2.htm).

aeronca65t
09-26-2006, 05:57 AM
Good job Simon!

The TRS and the Tornado Thunderbolt were the cars I knew would be tough to ID.
And it took me a while to figure out that was a TR8 Coupe in the back row.

For more on this page, go here:

https://www.141.com/triumphs/Mosport2003/index.htm

And yes, I certainly will get hammered by many of these folks, even though my car has a 1500 Spitfire engine.....but I do need to explain that a bit.
My car conforms to rules that are basically SCCA IT-spec (in EMRA, we call it "ST"). #11 is a very mild car and has a stock cam, flywheel, single carb, modest compression, etc.
These vintage guys seem to run all sorts of wild cams, porting, pistons and so forth. At the Pittsburgh Vintage, I ran against a fellow in an 1147 Spit that ran away from me on the straights like I was in reverse! (I could stay with him in the turns).
Anyway, vintage racing is just for fun, so I don't mind...I had a great time racing an Allard, an old Jaguar, a Datsun SPL-311, a mildly-tuned 1275 Midget and an Ermini....a real mixed bag of cars!

jerrybny
09-26-2006, 02:57 PM
Wouldn't mind being able to see those guys race.

Don Elliott
09-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Jerry - They race just about every second weekend. There is one TR racer who does 16 races a year. A bunch were at Watkins Glen a few weeks ago. You can check where the races are by going to FOT (Friends of Triumph) site.

https://www.fot-racing.com/

BTW, a blue Ambro was there. See attachment.