PDA

View Full Version : 1958 Berkeley B95

knuckles
09-23-2006, 04:34 PM
does anyone have an Idea what a 58 B95 3cyl Berkeley is worth

tony barnhill
09-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Asl Tim Studdard at "Classic Motorsports" - he has several.

&, welcome.

knuckles
09-23-2006, 08:20 PM
the car was in great shape wondering if it was worth buying.looked it know that only around 700 built

tony barnhill
09-23-2006, 08:44 PM
How much are they asking?

I'd email Tim...he's a regular guy & will answer you.

coldplugs
09-23-2006, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
does anyone have an Idea what a 58 B95 3cyl Berkeley is worth

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's a 3 cylinder car, then it's an SE492. These used a 3 cylinder version of the Excelsior Talisman 2 stroke and 666 were built. There are about 300 Berkeleys of all models probably remaining in the US.

The B95 isn't a 3 cylinder, it's a 2 cylinder Royal Enfield (4 cycle) powered car. SE492's were sometimes referred to as aB90.

Prices naturally are based on condition. An original 3 cylinder engine has value on its own. A poor SE492 is probably worth about $600, a decent one complete or mostly complete is probably in the $1500-$2500 range. A running car that can be driven would go for $2500+.

I have some Berkeley info at www.coldplugs.com/berksecindex.htm (https://www.coldplugs.com/berksecindex.htm)

Berks are great fun (I have a couple) but are unlike most common LBC's make sure you can get into it before you buy it. Even more important, make sure you can get out! They're tiny.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Peter_Rogers
09-24-2006, 10:46 AM
A Berkeley actually showed up at the Moss Fallfest this year. Any of you guys? I have a soft spot for them as I remember from my youth in the UK. Would love to have one but can you immagine driving on these roads. Its bad enough in my "B" but its a good bit bigger than the Berk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

coldplugs
09-24-2006, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A Berkeley actually showed up at the Moss Fallfest this year. Any of you guys? I have a soft spot for them as I remember from my youth in the UK. Would love to have one but can you immagine driving on these roads. Its bad enough in my "B" but its a good bit bigger than the Berk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the owner of the car that was at the Moss show & I don't think he's a member here. He did a super job on that restoration.

I can't imagine driving a Berkeley on busy roads. Our roads here are pretty lightly travelled and I wouldn't even try more than a few miles in a Berk. I drove an Elan quite a bit and even that was simply too small for comfort but at least it was quick enough to squirt out of the way when necessary.

Peter_Rogers
09-24-2006, 12:24 PM
I am surprised that there are so many around still as there cannot be very durable although I guess you can still get parts.

coldplugs
09-24-2006, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am surprised that there are so many around still as there cannot be very durable although I guess you can still get parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

A very high percentage of these cars are really either parts cars or in need of serious restoration. You're right - they aren't that durable.

Some parts are available from the BEC in England, and some from Kip in Texas. Apart from that it's mostly eBay and the owners swapping amongst themselves. Engine parts are hard to get and engine swaps to modern motorcycle engines are popular.

Pretty little cars, though....

knuckles
10-02-2006, 05:43 PM
he wanted 3500 it was in driving condition looked good