PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 jack minimum height for changing a tire?

SpannerMan
09-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Does anyone have a measurement spec. for the minimum height for a TR6 jack? I replaced a parts store jack (that turned out to be no good when I went to use it on the side of the road - one of the pivot bolts had fallen out and been lost... I was just about able to get it to jack using all my strength but don't plan on doing it again) with another parts store one (Autozone scissor jack with a new-fangled gear reduction drive). This new one is minimum height 4 1/4", and after looking at it I am not confident I could get it under the frame with a flat tire. (I know you can lift up on the fender to gain a bit.) Perhaps somebody with an original jack could measure the 'height' at minimum extension. I could also get my answer by letting one of the tires down and checking it of course, so please don't anyone go to a lot of trouble. If you have one sitting out, I'd be interested to know. Thanks... Pete

crj7driver
09-20-2006, 08:53 PM
I measured the stock jack and it is 3.5 inches when fully compressed. I also measured my floor jack as well and it is 4.25 inches. I can't get the floor jack under the front of the car unless I drive up on a 2x4.

DougF
09-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Go to a junkyard, excuse me, a salvage yard, to get one. They are in abundance and usually in new or like-new condition. Last time I bought one, it was $10-15.00.

gjh2007
09-21-2006, 07:48 AM
I have a nice one from my old Volvo that was totalled, just had to saw off the tabs that clipped into the frame on the car. They are well built of Swedish steel & have a nice anodized finish.

Most junk yards should have some old 240's or 740's Volvos around, although most of them are still on the road.

Ask me how I know!

Tomster
09-21-2006, 08:50 AM
I little off topic, I recently saw an ad for a scissor jack without the frame tabs (lower profile) that had a 12v plug in motor and switch for raising and lowering the jack!

SpannerMan
09-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Thanks everybody, and sorry for my delay in following up.

Thanks especially to crj7driver for measuring the jack. I think I'll take the one I bought back to the store. It is awfully heavy, as well as being of dubious usefulness. Going to the auto recycler sounds like a good idea- will have to see if there are any in this neck of the woods...

Pete