PDA

View Full Version : Any Dog People Here?

R6MGS
09-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Well, against my own wishes we've gotten a new member of the family....A chihuahua...We've had it since the begining of August...Everythings been ok....Then recently he has started throwing up after eating, drinking, or getting excited....I guess the safest thing to do would be to see a Vet, but this thing has already landed me a few nice Vet bills already so I'd rather not go back again only to be told; "Try changing food brand".....Course for all I know it could be the food brand, or the treats she gives him, or something else he's eating off the floor. I know posting here is a long shot, but I figured it couldn't hurt...so anyone got any ideas? And I thought keeping an MG healthy was hard work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/square.gif

KLUTZ
09-19-2006, 09:06 PM
Maybe it is eating too much food. How much and what are you feeding it? We give our two Springer Spaniels, male and female 2 1/2 cups of Adult Light Science Diet per day. Perfect for them. Your dog is small, maybe the tummy is bloating.

Paul

R6MGS
09-19-2006, 09:19 PM
hummm....I really have no idea how much it eats....but I'll suggest that she cuts back on his intake.......just like leaning out the carbs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Thanks for the suggestion Paul.

R6MGS
09-19-2006, 09:21 PM
BTW: The Dogs Name is "Tequila"....Maybe it's got a hangover? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Steve_S
09-19-2006, 09:30 PM
See if Tequila is eating grass. If so, something is upsetting his/her stomach.

KLUTZ
09-19-2006, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW: The Dogs Name is "Tequila"....Maybe it's got a hangover? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Then perhaps it is a worm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

kyreb1862
09-19-2006, 10:10 PM
This the reason I like cats. I've got an old Gray tom cat named Bear. He likes to sit in the seats and watch me work on "Molly". Very undemanding animal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

R6MGS
09-19-2006, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This the reason I like cats. I've got an old Gray tom cat named Bear. He likes to sit in the seats and watch me work on "Molly". Very undemanding animal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We had a cat years ago....Hated cats since....left a nice surprise on the seat of my camaro about a week after I bought it brand new....Destroyed the interior of my AH 3000...Destroyed the interior of my (then) new house.....so far Tequila has been pretty well behaved....I'll try to reminf everyone to keep him from eating grass(although I've never seen him do so, he just likes to walk around sniffing it)

Phireman
09-19-2006, 10:27 PM
I'm a dog person, have had at least two or three around the house all my life. Many dogs have wheat allergies; I'd suggest a food without wheat or wheat by-products. We had one that could only eat lamb-based food. My second thought is that a Chihuahua is not an actual dog, but some alien species made to appear like a dog. Thirdly, cats are nice to visit (like my mother-n-law) but I wouldn't want to live with one.

kyreb1862
09-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Bear does carry his own weight. He is lightning death on any varmint that happens to wander onto the property and that includes the occasional snake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Keoke
09-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Hi make certain that the pup is not getting people food that may be spicy such as fast food fried chicken etc and monitor the type treats being used. Also cut food down and feed twice a day in small increments.Keep fresh water around but not ice cold. Do not switch from one food to another this gives them a bad stomach or diarrhea.Pick a name brand dry food from a "pet store" and use as indicated above. If a food change is required it must be phased in with the original over a reasonable lenght of time. You can not just jump from one brand to another.--Fwiw---Keoke

OH! go on line and learn all you can about that little fella.Also get pet insurance it will save you a bundle.Vet bills are as high as people bills.- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Steve_S
09-20-2006, 12:16 AM
My cat jumped up on the cars a few times when he was young, but I've trained him to not go near them. One word of caution though... When a cat jumps on your car, do NOT scare it off. A cat's first response to a fright is to get a good foot hold to prepare for fight or flight. A good foot hold means claws. Ask me how I learned this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

kyreb1862
09-20-2006, 07:11 AM
I've got a dog also, she's a cocker spaniel that my wife and I inherited when my daughter got married. Good little dog, gets along with the cat. Funny thing is she does not like the MGB. She starts barking and running around in circles when I get in the car. Weird! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

michalotti_tr
09-20-2006, 07:24 AM
Also make sure you're not feeding it real meat - little dogs can not digest the fat and can get pancreitus (sp?) and display the symptoms you're describing - same thing happened to my wife's Yorkie

jlaird
09-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Stay away from people food altogether except for cottage cheese. Think about how small that dogs stomach is, the size of a walnut.

R6MGS
09-20-2006, 03:32 PM
I know he never eats people food(I tried once and got in trouble with SWMBO)But thats for all the recommendaions.....We got alot of learning to do. Today he has been fine, we cut the food back abit and haven't given him any treats...I think he may have just eaten something bad from the ground.

JamesWilson
09-20-2006, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...I think he may have just eaten something bad from the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

That could be a source of Worms, bad news.

We feed our Lab a set amount of his dog food, twice a day plus a few dog treats for when he behaves well.

Otherwise we just let him sleep....

I've heard a contented dog can sleep 20 hours a day.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

weewillie
09-20-2006, 06:59 PM
make sure that you don't let it on any grass that has been sprayed (parks, your own lawn eg.)and if you do make sure his paws are washed otherwise they will lick them clean and you wouldn't want to poison the little rat yet (oops dog lol)

R6MGS
09-20-2006, 08:15 PM
lol....he's only on my unsprayed lawn...
He DID get into the rat poison once....luckily he didn't injest any before my wife grabed the bag from him....But now we have a no rat poison rule /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BTW: Tequila sleeps about 15 hours a day.....He's also become very protective of my wife....If me or the kids run towards her, or many any quick movements he gets pretty mean with us, I read chihuahua's can be very poessive.

ecurie_ecosse
09-20-2006, 08:36 PM
That's true, I've seen one bail a German Shepherd in a corner just because he ran towards the owner of them both.
Tough little blighters,and will face up to anything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

R6MGS
09-20-2006, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's true, I've seen one bail a German Shepherd in a corner just because he ran towards the owner of them both.
Tough little blighters,and will face up to anything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

At last weeks big Brit car show he spotted a Sheperd asleep beside a Healey...walked right up to it, headbutted him and ran. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BoneIdle
09-21-2006, 07:27 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is suggesting "no people food".
Some people food is actually good for them ( pumpkin, green beans, carrots) and a little lean beef, pork, or chicken can be a real treat.

Granted, fatty meats are bad ( pancreatitis as mentioned before ) and junk food is a definite no-no. I try to avoid large quantities of dairy ( i.e. cheese ) with mine as well.

One thing that you do not want to feed them is: ONION.
Onions can wreak all sorts of havoc with a dog's digestion and most vets consider onions toxic.

Eating grass is not necessarily a sign of stomach upset. I could count on both hands the number of times that my nine year old heeler showed any signs of indigestion when she went grazing. Many dogs, apparently, just like to eat the stuff or maybe they eat it to prevent indigestion.

Normally I feed my dogs DRY FOOD twice a day. It is important to know the weight of your dog and follow the feeding guide on the bag for portion control. If you have a dog that chokes on dry food, add water to it.

For constipated dogs, add green beans or pureed pumpkin to the food.

When I say I give mine people food, I mean 1/4" squares of cheese, an occasional piece of carrot and once in a while, if they're really well behaved, they get a dab of peanut butter on a saltine.

If you have the time ( and preferably a breadmaker ) , you can bake your own dog biscuits. Not as fancy as store bought, but at least you know what goes in them.

Dog biscuits:

3/4 cup hot water
1/3 cup vegetable oil ( or olive if you have the bucks for it)
1/2 cup powdererd milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon peanut butter
3 cups flour ( I use whole wheat )

Mix it up, knead until stiff, use something for a cookie cutter, and bake in the oven at 325 for 50 minutes. bacon bits, pretzel bits. or any other dry sort of ingredient can be added to the dough for flavor variation.

If the dog hasn't been wormed, get it done. Worms don't just live in the gut... they lay eggs there too.

Also, keep a bottle of hydrogen peroxide on hand. If you think that your dog has ingested poison, call the Animal Emergency hospital in your locale. If they say induce vomiting, start dosing the little critter ( I use a shot glass ). Do it outside, though.

And finally, do not allow your dog in the garage if you have any coolant on the floor and do not store bottles of coolant on the floor.

JamesWilson
09-21-2006, 07:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dog biscuits:

3/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup powdererd milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg

Mix it up, knead until stiff, use something for a cookie cutter, and bake in the oven at 325 for 50 minutes

[/ QUOTE ]

My dog and I thank you greatly.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

GB1
09-21-2006, 11:05 AM
I have two chi's they require little food, twice a day. I have been fortunate since they eat both dog and people food.
Only feed them a little bit, do not always leave food out, like for a cat.

Further Chi's are very excitable lil pets, this can sometimes lead to choughing and possible vomiting. Try not to get the little guy to excited all at once.

Patrick

Steve
09-21-2006, 12:23 PM
I have a lab, and we leave the food bowl out all day, he just grazes occasionally when needed, but he doesn't just stand there and chow down until it's all gone. I think it's better for him that he doesn't bolt his food all in one go. There are different schools of thought regarding this of course, and as always, your results may vary........

Biff
09-21-2006, 12:25 PM
We had a Chi that ate nothing but meat from the day she was weaned till the day she died. She refused all kinds of "dog" food when she was weaned, but went after meat with gusto. She lived to be 20 years old and passed away one night in her sleep.

GB1
09-21-2006, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but went after meat with gusto.

[/ QUOTE ]

Biff this quote struck me as odd, since one of mine is named Gustavo. Sorry to hear about your loss.

sideache
09-21-2006, 02:49 PM
I have a Belgium Malinois, Fantastic dog!

R6MGS
09-21-2006, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why everyone is suggesting "no people food".
Some people food is actually good for them ( pumpkin, green beans, carrots) and a little lean beef, pork, or chicken can be a real treat.

Granted, fatty meats are bad ( pancreatitis as mentioned before ) and junk food is a definite no-no. I try to avoid large quantities of dairy ( i.e. cheese ) with mine as well.

One thing that you do not want to feed them is: ONION.
Onions can wreak all sorts of havoc with a dog's digestion and most vets consider onions toxic.

Eating grass is not necessarily a sign of stomach upset. I could count on both hands the number of times that my nine year old heeler showed any signs of indigestion when she went grazing. Many dogs, apparently, just like to eat the stuff or maybe they eat it to prevent indigestion.

Normally I feed my dogs DRY FOOD twice a day. It is important to know the weight of your dog and follow the feeding guide on the bag for portion control. If you have a dog that chokes on dry food, add water to it.

For constipated dogs, add green beans or pureed pumpkin to the food.

When I say I give mine people food, I mean 1/4" squares of cheese, an occasional piece of carrot and once in a while, if they're really well behaved, they get a dab of peanut butter on a saltine.

If you have the time ( and preferably a breadmaker ) , you can bake your own dog biscuits. Not as fancy as store bought, but at least you know what goes in them.

Dog biscuits:

3/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup powdererd milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg

Mix it up, knead until stiff, use something for a cookie cutter, and bake in the oven at 325 for 50 minutes. bacon bits, pretzel bits. or any other dry sort of ingredient can be added to the dough for flavor variation.

If the dog hasn't been wormed, get it done. Worms don't just live in the gut... they lay eggs there too.

Also, keep a bottle of hydrogen peroxide on hand. If you think that your dog has ingested poison, call the Animal Emergency hospital in your locale. If they say induce vomiting, start dosing the little critter ( I use a shot glass ). Do it outside, though.

And finally, do not allow your dog in the garage if you have any coolant on the floor and do not store bottles of coolant on the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks alot....That breadmaker hasn't been used in years...It'll be good to get it put again.

BTW: Anyone got any tips on training it to stop barking when told...Or to come when you call...not just when he wants.

weewillie
09-21-2006, 03:48 PM
a little bit of apple is ok too if they will eat it and my collie/keeshond cross will not eat vegetables at all and my japanese chin should not eat carrots as they cannot digest them, and I have to make sure i remove the cat food when they are finished eating or the dogs will vacuum it down and then throw up

jackq
09-21-2006, 06:08 PM
My female weiner gets sick when a thunderstorm comes thru...gagging...yakking..real nice. Also..if you have city water and the water plant folks adjust chemicals...it'll mess with pets. All our animals get filtered water. And CATS!!! left the window open on my latest B a week or so ago and the neighbors cat moved in....scared the crap out of me when I went out at 11pm to close it up...and the hairbag scratched the rear window when it launched out. The next day I tossed a hose attachment at it, landing maybe one inch aft of his butt. Scared him half to death.

sideache
09-21-2006, 06:32 PM
I feed my dog Iams - that's it. I pamper her with attention - I don't want watery stools all over the place.

R6MGS
09-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Wow, this is great...I am learning so much, and SWMBO is lovin it too...keep it coming!

I just gotta point out how a thread about dogs can run 3 pages on a CAR forum....There really is no place like the BCF, great people, great advice, great cars, and nothing but good vibes.

BoneIdle
09-22-2006, 09:55 AM
OOPS!

BTW, the dog biscuit recipe should have read "3 cups of flour"

I've corrected the post, but wanted to point that out before anyone tries it !

Barking can be controlled in MOST dogs (Separation Anxiety Disorder dogs have a harder time of it). I trained my 9 year old female heeler to be quiet by using "sssshhhhh" when I didn't want her to bark. At this point in her life, she reminds me of E.F. Hutton: When she barks, I listen, since she only barks if there's a real problem of some sort ( Prowler, house on fire, TV on the wrong channel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif )

If you have a dog with SAD, I'd consult a vet. Several drugs are available to calm them down. With enough time on drugs ( a year or so ) many of the SAD dogs relax and can then be trained not to bark.

Coming when called is easiest to reinforce by calling and holding out a bit of kibble ( dog food - dry preferably ).
Each time the dog comes, feed him/her a piece of kibble. Do this for a couple of weeks to a month - Every time -

After the dog comes regularly by being bribed, start interspersing "Good Dog!" and a quick pat on the head and gradually eliminate the food. It's still a good idea to give them a bit of food once in a while, but generally, as they get older , they'll settle for the praise .

Always remember in training dogs that you're the boss. You are not, however, the Grand Poobah. Do not beat your dogs or kick them. Treat them like a kind parent would treat a much loved child.

I could beat my female until my arm fell off and she'd probably take it ( although I'm sure she'd wonder why I'd wigged out ), but it wouldn't change a thing as far as her behavior .

If I use a certain tone and phrase when disciplining her, she'll actually whimper. I reserve that for the very rare occasions that she's done something bad. She usually doesn't repeat the behavior.

Once a dog implicitly trusts you, He/She will try to understand what you want and execute it. The first step is gaining the love and trust of the dog and then building on that . Always praise when possible. Discipline is for when they've wet the carpet or eaten the trash, not for when you've failed to communicate properly or set them a task they can't succeed in doing! Start simple in training: Don't expect your dog to do an obstacle course until you can teach it the concept of , say, a hoop and then don't expect it to jump through the hoop until it's comfortabl walking through a hoop that's resting on the ground.

Okay. Shutting up now!

weewillie
09-22-2006, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
but generally, as they get older , they'll settle for the praise .

Just like some of us older folks

William
09-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Our breeder gave us a dog cookie recipie that uses wheat germ (I think), condensed milk, and baby food, and you cook em for fifteen minutes. Charlie just gobbles them up. I'll get the recipie tomorrow. He doesn't get much, if any, people food, as we're trying to keep his wieght down. Our last Cocker Spaniel, Joe, was quite overweight for most of his life, through a combination of eating way too much people food and not getting enough exercise (Joey also had other health problems, most notably arthritis and a bad tendon in his knee, that kept him a little more sedentary as he got older). Charles might get a little bit of bread crust or cheese now and again, and we don't shovel treats at him whenever he wants. Joseph, on the other hand, got lots of handouts and must've had a stomach made of cast iron cause nothing would give him an upset stomach!

-Wm.

R6MGS
09-22-2006, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OOPS!

I've corrected the post, but wanted to point that out before anyone tries it !

Barking can be controlled in MOST dogs (Separation Anxiety Disorder dogs have a harder time of it). I trained my 9 year old female heeler to be quiet by using "sssshhhhh" when I didn't want her to bark. At this point in her life, she reminds me of E.F. Hutton: When she barks, I listen, since she only barks if there's a real problem of some sort ( Prowler, house on fire, TV on the wrong channel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif )

If you have a dog with SAD, I'd consult a vet. Several drugs are available to calm them down. With enough time on drugs ( a year or so ) many of the SAD dogs relax and can then be trained not to bark.

Coming when called is easiest to reinforce by calling and holding out a bit of kibble ( dog food - dry preferably ).
Each time the dog comes, feed him/her a piece of kibble. Do this for a couple of weeks to a month - Every time -

After the dog comes regularly by being bribed, start interspersing "Good Dog!" and a quick pat on the head and gradually eliminate the food. It's still a good idea to give them a bit of food once in a while, but generally, as they get older , they'll settle for the praise .

Always remember in training dogs that you're the boss. You are not, however, the Grand Poobah. Do not beat your dogs or kick them. Treat them like a kind parent would treat a much loved child.

I could beat my female until my arm fell off and she'd probably take it ( although I'm sure she'd wonder why I'd wigged out ), but it wouldn't change a thing as far as her behavior .

If I use a certain tone and phrase when disciplining her, she'll actually whimper. I reserve that for the very rare occasions that she's done something bad. She usually doesn't repeat the behavior.

Once a dog implicitly trusts you, He/She will try to understand what you want and execute it. The first step is gaining the love and trust of the dog and then building on that . Always praise when possible. Discipline is for when they've wet the carpet or eaten the trash, not for when you've failed to communicate properly or set them a task they can't succeed in doing! Start simple in training: Don't expect your dog to do an obstacle course until you can teach it the concept of , say, a hoop and then don't expect it to jump through the hoop until it's comfortabl walking through a hoop that's resting on the ground.

Okay. Shutting up now!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the training tips....We're pretty good with keeping the disciplne light...But maybe a little too light...We've also had to lay off the treats as rewards because most treats give him an upset stomach...We'll try your recipe and William's and see what happens. He is potty trained, but doesn't understand much else...or if he does he's choosing not to listen.

anthony7777
09-23-2006, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've got a dog also, she's a cocker spaniel that my wife and I inherited when my daughter got married. Good little dog, gets along with the cat. Funny thing is she does not like the MGB. She starts barking and running around in circles when I get in the car. Weird! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]---smart too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

weewillie
09-23-2006, 02:26 PM
she just wants to go too

JamesWilson
09-23-2006, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OOPS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, something did seem to be missing... pretty soupy dog biscuits.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Can't say the dog noticed the mistake.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

William
09-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Dog cookie recipie:

Two 2-ounce jars of meat baby food (we use Gerber's. Chicken, Turkey, Beef, or Ham. Use the same flavors, tho!)

1/3 cup of wheat germ

3/4 cup powdered milk.

Mix, and put it on a sprayed cookie sheet in approximately 3/4 tablespoon globs. Bake at 350 for 6-10 minutes. Cooking time really depends on how big the cookies are. When they're done they look just like oatmeal cookies. Don't taste too bad, either. Yes, I managed to eat one once.

Dog:

https://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9055/lyingdowneh2.th.jpg (https://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lyingdowneh2.jpg)

-William