PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3B Seats

pace
09-19-2006, 10:06 AM
When I spend an hour or so in the TR, my lower back starts hurting. Has anyone replaced the original seats with some other kind that does not distract too much from the originality of the car?

Mike

martx-5
09-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Do your seats have the original spring bottoms?? A common procedure is to change out the springs with foam attached to a plywood bottom that substitutes for the original spring system. This might help alleviate your back problem, as you should be able to get a firmer and more consistant support. The procedure is discussed in Roger Williams "How To Restore Triumph TR2 TR3 & 3A"

YankeeTR
09-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Another solution may be to add an inflatable lumbar support under the seat back upholstery. They are fairly cheap and pump up with a bulb....ask your local auto trim shop or look online...

martx-5
09-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Now, that's a great idea. I just did a quick google, and found a ton of inflatable lumbar supports that would fit into the TR3 seats. Most of them fall in the $20-$40 range.

I just may put them in my seats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

sammyb
09-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Even better than the inflatable lumbar ones are the gel or memory foam ones. I used a memory foam one in my '99 Corvette (which had the awful base seats) and it was wonderful. I think my wife got it for me from Sharper Image, but I'm sure they're everywhere. More comfortable than the air bladders, plus last longer.

YankeeTR
09-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Sammyb also has a good idea...I just bought a memory foam mattress cover for my bed...cool stuff.