PDA

View Full Version : TriumphTune Exhaust Headers?

Tinster
09-19-2006, 08:12 AM
I am needing a link or two if anyone has them.

I have read here and also in a few articles that
TriumphTune produce correct, high quality exhaust
headers for my street car.

I Googled for 2 hours trying to find an actual purchase source for these headers.

Anyone have a link where I can purchase quality exhaust headers for a 69ish TR? I do not want to install the orig. cast iron.

thanks as always.

d /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

jimitro
09-19-2006, 08:18 AM
I'm using a header from Kirk Racing Products out of Birmingham, AL. for my TR4. Great fit, performance and price. You may want to see if they make them for your TR6.
Good luck

michalotti_tr
09-19-2006, 08:26 AM
TriumphTune is owned by Moss Europe - you should be able to find the headers there. You can also try Moss US, but I think their selection is more limited.

DougF
09-19-2006, 09:15 AM
The Kirk header for the TR6 needs some additional adjusting to make it fit properly. Enough, I believe, to offset the savings over the Triumphtune.
If you go with either header, you may want to look into a ceramic coating. This helps with the additional heat of the tubular over the cast and keeps it looking good for years.

09-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Dale,
What is wrong with your stock cast iron exhaust manifold? Those things were designed to last forever, fit perfectly and are free if you already have one. Unlike any header, which won't last forever (unless it is stainless steel), never fit perfectly and cost big bucks, especially if you go with the stainless. For a basically stock engine, there is no purpose whatsoever to go with headers. The sounds you will get with the stock manifold will be the same and the power will be essentially the same for an already peppy car. Besides, how fast can you go on an island before you run out of room!

Bill

roofman
09-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Headers do add some bling to the engine bay ( but cost some bling also) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Tinster
09-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Hey Bill,

My TR presently has some type of aftermarket "high
performance" exhaust rig that is deeply rusted and
paper thin.

I read that this TriumphTune exhaust manifold was a
quality replacement for a nice street car. I figured
why not replace it while the the TR is still a Crypt Car?

Fast? You want fast?? Why, just this very morning
I was zooming down the expressway at almost 35 mph.

We have 5 million cars on a population of 4 million
folks. Need I say more??

d

Webb
09-19-2006, 07:13 PM
If you drive your car daily, or store it in a warm dry place, header and exhaust rusting shouldn't be a problem. I've had a Pacesetter on mine for 3 years now, I drive my car daily (including in rain and small amounts of snow), and it shows no signs of corrosion of any kind.

Brosky
09-19-2006, 08:01 PM
I have my Pacesetter's JetHot coated inside and out and most people who know Triumph engines can't believe how cool it runs or how fast they cool down after a hard run. The coating should help them to last as long as I'll need ever them.

And they did make a difference to my stock engine. The rpm at idle went up nearly 500rpm just by putting them on. The installer who is an ace Brit mechanic couldn't believe the difference either, but it's there.

jd72tr6
09-19-2006, 10:34 PM
What adjusting do you mean? I just my kirk headers to Jet Hot today to get coated today.

DougF
09-20-2006, 04:53 AM
I was visiting Scott Harper a few months ago. We put the Triumphtune next to the Kirk. The one pipe needs rebent to make it line up. Scott told me that one of his customers with a shop orders his with the welding incomplete as to allow for the bending.

Tomster
09-20-2006, 08:40 AM
Are you saying that the Kirk needs re bending?
Which pipe ?
Just checked the Jet Hot site, no offerings for 4A's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Harry_Ward
09-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Dale,

Here's the Moss link. All I could find but I think they have other headers available.

https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29778

DougF
09-20-2006, 12:19 PM
It's been several months, but I believe the rear collector pipe hangs at a downward angle and needs to be bent to be more parallel with the other pipe.

Brosky
09-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Dale, I bought my Pacesetters directly from JetHot, coated in and out for the same price as Moss had them painted.

Two issues, you MAY need a pipe made to mate to the stock system. (I did on my twin pipe exhaust, you may not) Any exhaust shop can do for $20-$30. You will have to grind two edges on the flanges of the headers to mate to the intake manifold, but they are hidden and it is a very small amount. I did have my manifold retainers powder coated with high temp coating to prevent rust from building up on new studs and headers in the future.

Brosky
09-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Nice article in the SixPack magazine this quarter on the TriumphTune headers. I don't completely agree with Kai about the coatings and the benefits, but that's OK. He's an expert and I'm not and I'm basing my opinions on something that he is not considering, so it's not apples to apples.

Nevertheless, he likes the TriumphTune and has some nice pics to go with his critique.

michalotti_tr
09-21-2006, 08:12 AM
Related to the topic a little bit, what's everyone's recommendation for the best street header? I will be removing my TR6 engines cast iron manifold (complete with air injection rail, etc) and will not be putting it back on.

Brosky
09-21-2006, 03:35 PM
That is a question that stirs lively conversation every time that it's asked. I say PaceSetter, others say XYZ. I guess that it's all a matter of opinion and experience.

bobh
09-21-2006, 04:10 PM
I've read numerous articles and documents about TR6 headers. They all say that long tube headers are good for high RPM but hurt mid range torque. Headers with more bends are supposed to be better for mid range torque. PaceSetter headers are the long tube design. Most recommendations I've seen for street use are 6-3-2 (maybe 6-3-1?)configuration. Rimmer Brothers sells these in stainless.
Along the same line I've read that too large of a diameter in the exhaust piping hurts mid range torque. My guess is that long tubes and oversized piping eliminate back pressure which helps flow at high RPM. But a little back pressure is needed to maintain maximum torque in the midrange (RPM). Long tubes and large OD are ideal for racing where the engine stays in a narrow, but high, RPM range. For street engines torque is more useful. Street engines operate over a much broader RPM range.
Personally I prefer the look of the long tubes over the shorter 6-3-2 tubes. Particularily when they are coated.
Whether is headers, mufflers, air filters or carbs. Most data seems to deal with max horse power. Most of our engines will rarely need our max HP, but we do use torque all the time.
I wonder how the stock manifold compares to long and short tube headers in the 2000 to 5000 rpm range? How about a jet hot coated stock manifold?

09-21-2006, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about a jet hot coated stock manifold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I Jet Hot coated my stock cast iron exhaust manifold when my engine was stock. It looked great the whole time it was on the engine. Really dressed up an otherwise drab area. Did it help performance? Who knows.

Bill

bobh
09-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Bill,
Do you still have the manifold? Want to sell it? Your car didn't have an air pump did it?
BOBH

09-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Sorry, bub, it's already been sold.

Bill

Alan_Myers
09-22-2006, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice article in the SixPack magazine this quarter on the TriumphTune headers. I don't completely agree with Kai about the coatings and the benefits, but that's OK. He's an expert and I'm not and I'm basing my opinions on something that he is not considering, so it's not apples to apples.

Nevertheless, he likes the TriumphTune and has some nice pics to go with his critique.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi all,

This thread started out asking where the TriumphTune headers are available, and the answer might be right here. Kai sells TR6 stuff and is putting together a website at https://www.wbclassics.com/ (a pretty basic page right now, but has contact info and, I think, a photo of the TT headers on it, a 6-3-1 design much like Kas Kastner used to build for the endurance cars). If Kai doesn't sell the header himself, he might be able to point you to someone who does.

For those who don't get 6-Pack magazine (including me), here are Kai's comments from about a year ago on the 6-Pack website, in response to a question whether the Pacesetter/Monza headers were any good:

[ QUOTE ]
The two headers to avoid are Kirk Racing and Pacesetter. Both have poor welds, ill fitting (not flat!) flanges that can cause serious amounts of aggrevation as you try to file them flat to avoid exhaust leaks at the gasket. Aside from that, they tend not to fit well in general and they just are not good as the other two headers available in the US.

The two good ones are the TriumphTune street header and the Falcon Group44 header. They are both more expensive than the Kirk or Pacesetter headers, but their construction and fit are much better out of the box. I have never had any sealing issues with the TTune headers, but I have had to grind some excess weld out so as to not impede airflow out of the head. In fact, every header I ever purchased required port matching and grinding of weld to get optimum exhaust flow at the flange side. However, this is a much easier task than trying to file the flanges flat as on the cheaper Pacesetter/Kirk headers.

The TTune header works particularly well on street motors. I know they have a good horsepower advantage over Kirk/Pacesetter (Pacesetter by about 5HP!). This was on one of our 165HP / 180FT/LB motor combos.

Cheers!

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke
Wishbone Classics
* British Car Parts *
www.wbclassics.com (https://www.wbclassics.com)
Ph: 215.945.7250

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

trfourtune
09-26-2006, 02:28 PM
headers,
fyi, check out the "totally triumph network" site under performance mods for an interesting discussion on tr6/gt6 headers.
rob