PDA

View Full Version : Another new old one.

TexasKnucklehead
09-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Hey,
I just joined the forum. I've had a TR6 (my second) for a couple years and have had a lot of fun working on it in my garage. -Drove it from Texas to Pennsylvania (and back) last spring, so I guess I'm doing OK. Now I also have a TR3 that was fooded in 20" of storm surge during Katrina. -I'll be looking for advice.

michalotti_tr
09-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Welcome, you've come to the right place! Lots of great people and good advice.

Sorry to hear about the TR3, the good news is that restoring it will be a LOT simpler than any modern car.

tony barnhill
09-19-2006, 08:31 AM
Welcome - you might want to seriously think about whether to rebuild trhat flooded car or not....salt water is something that's hard to get away from, even with sandblasting....would hate for you to rstore & then watch it eat itself up.

R6MGS
09-19-2006, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Welcome - you might want to seriously think about whether to rebuild trhat flooded car or not....salt water is something that's hard to get away from, even with sandblasting....would hate for you to rstore & then watch it eat itself up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could he treat it with one of those rust killer products?(think Britsh Motoring had a feature on it a few months back?)

Welcome- the 3, and 6 are my two favorite TR's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tony barnhill
09-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Insurance companies aren't even selling htem - they're crushing them all so no parts will get on the market...salt water soaked metal is like a burned piece of metal - neither can be reused.

R6MGS
09-19-2006, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Insurance companies aren't even selling htem - they're crushing them all so no parts will get on the market...salt water soaked metal is like a burned piece of metal - neither can be reused.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif dang...all those poor cars

tony barnhill
09-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Yep, got a buddy who owns a salvage yard - he won't touch a car coming from down on the coast...another buddy is a USAA adjuster - they're totalling em & selling directly to a crushing firm...not going through their usual auction process.

TexasKnucklehead
09-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Are you kidding? Perhaps you should look at a few pictures before sending a car to the crusher... The car was previously restored and presetly in stages of re-painting and replacing the interior -so it was fairly stripped prior to flooding. I'm going to try to add some pictures. I know the salt water damage is extensive, but I wonder how extensive...

tony barnhill
09-20-2006, 08:47 AM
I'm not saying IT should go to crusher...one reason the insurance companies are sending all theirs to the crusher is that nobody's going to completely disassemble those cars & chemically strip all the parts to neutralize the effects of the salt water....& that's about the only way to ensure the cars don't start rusting once again.

(Oh, BTW, were I offered a great deal on an unusual car that had been through Katrina, I'd probably take it knowing the the entire car would have to be stripped down to the "each's", sandblasted & chemically treated...but for an MGA Coupe or Y-Type Saloon....)

R6MGS
09-20-2006, 08:00 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif I'd take on katrina survivor any day....How much worse can it be than Canadian slush?

Peter_Rogers
09-21-2006, 06:03 PM
In the early '80's I was in Bahrain. Some of the guys Bought Alfa's. The cars literally fell to pieces within a year. First the sand storms did an effective job of sand blasting the paint then the humid salt air finished off the job.