PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 Steering lock and ignition

Norton47
09-18-2006, 08:12 AM
Hi
While working on the 6 yesterday the ignition switch started to become intermittant in regards to engaging the starter. This seemed to going from turn the key twice, to jiggle the key alot to wiggling the back of the ignition switch.
Attempted to check out the switch but the plastic is crumbling and the pot metal of the housing has one tab broken off. (someone may have been here before me)
As the steering lock has never worked,(seems to only lock the wheel when turned in one direction) should I replace everything? Steering lock and switch or just the switch?
Are the steering locks prone to failure? Are they just a hassle? Sounds different with shear bolts etc, remove instruments and such. I see the the big 3 all have repalcements and as the switch is roughly half the cost of the steering lock and switch, hence the question.
If the lock fails a lot or is prone to problems, may be best to let the sleeping dog lie and only replace the switch.
Thanks for your time.

swift6
09-18-2006, 09:15 AM
I'm not aware of any particular problems or specific failure rates of the locking mechanism. It's all tied to the keyed switch which can wear out. The steering wheel lock is there for a theft deterent. If you feel you don't need it then simply gut that part and get your new swtich. At least thats my $.02.