PDA

View Full Version : Wedge TR8 Front & Rear Seals

JFS
09-14-2006, 08:22 PM
I am about to replace the front crank seal in the timing chain cover and the rear crank seal in the TR8. Woody tells me that the old front seal is a bear to get out, but placing the new front seal without special tools isn't a problem. I don't know what to expect with the rear seal; the procedure outlined in the manual looks straightforwarad enough. Has anybody replaced these seals? Any words of wisdom? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cheapsnake
09-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Check with aluminumv8.com. I think he offers a new-style seal replacement kit and would probably be a good source of info as well as materials. Good luck.

BTW, where in WI are you?

Tom

JFS
09-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Cheapsnake, I got my seals from Woody Cooper along with a verbal explanation. The factory manual appears to deal with the older rope seal. I just removed the front pulleys and flywheel today, and I can finally see the seals. I live in Appleton. Where in Door County are you? We frequently take the TR8 or TR3 through the Door.

Cheapsnake
09-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Here's another source of info https://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay.php?s=6d454b97f075da4e6e43536bfe0ca00 6&forumid=8
that I've used quite a bit since the Rover 3.5 is basicly a Buick/Olds 215 and these guys know them pretty good. The forum has to do with all small block Buicks but there is a hard core of 3.5/215 fanatics that'll come out of the woodwork once you ask the question.

I'm in (just outside) Sturgeon Bay. Next time you're coming through give me a call, 920-743-9727 and we'll get together.

Tom

JFS
09-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the address. I'm hoping to get the engine/tranny back into the car this weekend (the front seal was a piece of cake). I'm also hoping for a fall tour through the Door before the snow flies; I'll give you a ring if I make it.