PDA

View Full Version : Bolting to alum block

JFS
09-12-2006, 10:59 AM
When bolting ancillaries to a TR8's aluminum block, should anti-seize be used to prevent corrosion of dissimilar metals or should loctite be used to prevent bolts from loosening because of low torque requirements? Or should the bolts simply be put in clean? My inclination is to go with the anti-seize. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mickey Richaud
09-12-2006, 11:15 AM
In rebuilding mine, I've been using the anti-seize. Nuts and bolts that I removed were NASTY with corrosion, so I hope this is the proper method.

Mickey

Roger
09-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Some makers use plated bolts, that don't corrode nearly as much. In a low-tensile environment, they work fine. A little anti-seize won't hurt, but there's a Loctite whose number I can't remember that does pretty well too.

YankeeTR
09-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Anti-Seize....Any disimilar metal will cause corrosion no matter if it's zinc, cadmium, chrome or whatever.

Alan_Myers
09-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Hi,

I seem to recall there's a Locktite or other brand of locking fluid that's intended to do both: prevent corrosion while helping keep things from rattling loose. Might be worth asking at an auto parts store.

In many places, spring washers or Nylock nuts will do the job and the anti-sieze compound will do no harm (might actually help insure accurate torquing).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Camping57
09-13-2006, 07:36 AM
Use the ainti-sieze. It will help to protect against galvanic corrosion, which can eat away the aluminum threads in the block. The lubricating quality of the anti-sieze will help to get more clamp load in the joints which will kepp them from loosening. And despite what intuition tells you...lubriacting the bolts doesn't make them more likely to loosen. We have run hundreds of tests on this and the more lubricious the fasteners, the better things stay together. Nylock nuts help a lot in those places using nuts.

Alan,
I was not aware of an type of thread lock that has anti galvanic properties, can you find out some more about it?
Alan