PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Access to TR3 tranny dipstick?

White79MGB
09-11-2006, 12:29 PM
I have acquired a pre TS50000 TR3 that should have the tranny dipstick. Can someone let me know where this stick is located and the best way to get at it? Thanks!

Geo Hahn
09-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Pull the carpet back that covers the gearbox tunnel... there will be a rubber plug (about 2.5" across) on the lefthand (passenger side) almost to the top of the cover and about a foot back from the firewall. Remove that plug and you will find the dipstick.

What you have there is a cap about an inch+ across that simply lift out... may have to twist it a bit to loosen it up but it is just a friction fit (like a cork in a bottle). If I recall right the little dipstick just has one mark which is the correct level. Add (if needed) thru that same hole.

Pic now attached, note arrow pointing to hole

White79MGB
09-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Thanks George, Then this is very similar to the MGB. I will look under that carpet this evening.

Camping57
09-12-2006, 09:35 AM
There is a fair chance that at some time a PO changed out the original tranny for a TR 4 all synchro box. If that is the case there isn't any dip stick and you have to check the oil level by taking the top fill plug out and then putting a piece of wire with a right angle bend into the hole to see if the level is flush with the fill plug.