PDA

View Full Version : One Shot - One Kill!

Bret
09-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Stalking the target took several mind numbing weeks of waiting & watching, because previous attempts had failed. My intended target was indeed a wily & crafty opponent. So I patently observed habits and tried to establish any behavior patterns.

Well, fast forward to today I decided that I had enough intel on the target and that it was time to take him out. So as the “target” filled my scope & I positioned the cross hairs for a head shot. Taking one last deep breath, I slowly eased it out as I applied pressure on the trigger. As I finished exhaling I applied the last few ounces of pressure to the trigger and fired.

Score! One shot – one kill! Carlos would have been proud of that shot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Walking back into the garage I put the .22cal Air Rifle away and walked into the house to tell my wife that we have one less Ground squirrel to worry about.

Its Miller time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Nunyas
09-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Ground Square? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

jaybird
09-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Ewwwwwww. Catch and release. We trap ours, take them across the JB Bridge, dump them off in STL county.

BUT, if you need more target practice, I still have about 327 of those furry-tailed rats in my yard.

Baz
09-08-2006, 08:16 PM
I wonder what an 8mm Mauser K98 would do to one?

Bret
09-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Haven’t tried a anything larger than a .22 Rimfire on a squirrel (ground or tree). Anything larger would be a waste. But I can tell you from personal experience an 8mm is an awesome weapon, but I’m more of a .308/30.06 fan. Actually converted an old ratty K98 to make a really nice .308 Sporter, but truthfully about the only thing left of the original Mauser was the action & bolt.

sideache
09-08-2006, 09:12 PM
I've got an M1 Garand, an M-17 Eddystone and an 03 Springfield, they are all great to shoot. Haven't in quite some time though.

jessebogan
09-08-2006, 09:25 PM
In honor of "the british car thing" I have a BSA Enfield, (#1 mk3)made in 1916, a canadian Long Branch (#4 mk1) from 1955,and an aussie enfield (#1 mk#*). All in the standard 303 enfield. Also a springfield garand from 45, and a yugoslav K98. They are all a hoot to shoot, but alas, it has been a long tome for me too.

jaybird
09-08-2006, 09:36 PM
~slips quietly out of this thread~

ecurie_ecosse
09-08-2006, 11:13 PM
me too.

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

AngliaGT
09-08-2006, 11:58 PM
When I see the "Locals" heading out to the hills
with loaded weapons + lots of alcohol.........
...... I think that it's probably best to stay "in town".
- Billy Bob - "Something moved!"
- Jim Bob - "Shoot it"

(Gunfire - shoots dog).
- Billy Bob - "Ain't huntin great!?"
- Jim Bob - "Yeah!"

- Doug

sideache
09-09-2006, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I see the "Locals" heading out to the hills
with loaded weapons + lots of alcohol.........
...... I think that it's probably best to stay "in town".
- Billy Bob - "Something moved!"
- Jim Bob - "Shoot it"

(Gunfire - shoots dog).
- Billy Bob - "Ain't huntin great!?"
- Jim Bob - "Yeah!"

- Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that may have been a tad bit bigoted, I guess southern folk / country folk are fair game. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Baz
09-09-2006, 06:54 AM
I have never hunted in my life, but have a collection for historical value and use a 200m range (K98 good - smle bad - L1A1 good - M1carbine bad)
No animals and no alcohol for me.

jlaird
09-09-2006, 07:59 AM
Got rid of my stuff except for a 9mm Browning that I picked up and used in Cambodia, etc. The 13 rounds was very important.

Never killed any animals with it, hehe.

vagt6
09-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Please remind me to stay out of range of Bret's yard, or at least away from his squirrel population!

Strange . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Banjo
09-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Nunyas
Ground squirrel= groundhog= woodchuck
Pesky rodents. dig giant holes that are dangerous to livestock. or if they start digging under a foundation, it can cause serious problems.
Plenty of them around here. want some more practice?
I believe in live and let live, unless it's on my turf! then it's "asta la vista baby"!

maynard
09-09-2006, 09:28 AM
When I lived in northern Minnesota, we had a couple of red squirrels that took up living in our attic. If you aren't familiar with them, they can reek havoc with insulation and wiring. One day, I took my .22 and waited. Sure enough, one stuck it's little head out and instantaneously took a dirt nap. Of course, it's mate had to see what happened and very shortly joined it's mate.

Has anyone tried the new .17 caliber? I hear that it is an extremely flat shooting, high (for it's size) power cartridge. It is a necked down .22 Winchester Magnum.

kennypinkerton
09-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Squirell = tree rat.

jlaird
09-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Roger that Banjo.

DrEntropy
09-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Must agree as well. Vermin can live outside my perimeter. Inside the compound they face "overwhelming force."

tony barnhill
09-09-2006, 06:28 PM
I've an old friend who lives in Delta Junction, Alaska...when he was an avid hunter, he'd leave on a Mountain Sheep hunt with only 1 bullet - if he missed, he came home empty handed...I always thought that was sporting of him; kinda dumb but sporting!

DrEntropy
09-09-2006, 06:39 PM
...having a "successful hunt" and meeting a griz or Kodiak on the way home would kinda convince him his paradigm has a bit of a hole in it I'd bet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Baz
09-09-2006, 06:43 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

tony barnhill
09-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Oh, he always had a huge old Ruger long barrel .44 Magnum strapped to his waist for "personal protection".

coldplugs
09-09-2006, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... he'd leave on a Mountain Sheep hunt with only 1 bullet - if he missed, he came home empty handed...

[/ QUOTE ]

My daughter does exactly this. She uses a Hawken .50 cal black powder rifle for deer. This is not one of the fancy new in-line black powder weapons but an old (repro) percussion weapon. She gets her deer, does her own "processing" and uses every scrap, including the bones.

She hunts her own land so is familar with the terrain etc and is shooting at very short range, but I still like the way she approaches it.

anthony7777
09-10-2006, 06:12 AM
guys, if ya really want a true hunting experience go out with the vic. pres. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

kyreb1862
09-10-2006, 08:43 AM
"Has anyone tried the new .17 caliber? I hear that it is an extremely flat shooting, high (for it's size) power "

There are 2 versions of the new .17 caliber. The 17 HMR and the 17 Mach II. The HMR is made by necking down 22 magnum and the Mach II is made by necking down 22 LR.

Most of the guys around hear prefer the 17 Mach II because it is somewhat cheaper per box and velocities are practically identical out to practical ranges (75 to 100 yards) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

anthony7777
09-11-2006, 06:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, he always had a huge old Ruger long barrel .44 Magnum strapped to his waist for "personal protection".

[/ QUOTE ] tony, ever see a "griz" in the wild run when hes ****? or chasing down his lunch? i know i wouldnt want to bump into a female with cubs,does anyone believe that a misplaced shot on a "griz" means **** just run away? oh no he now starts hunting you! me thinks the only thing that rugger could be used for in any of these situations would be to shoot ones self. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

anthony7777
09-11-2006, 06:55 AM
kyreb,yes ive shot them both, nice round,but i still like my scoped bold action marlin 22-mag, perhaps if my arsenal wasnt so ample id buy one but cant justify it right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif x wife-"but you bought a rifle last week" me "ya but that was a 3006 this ones a shot gun" x wife "well if you can kill a moose with that one why cant it kill a rabit" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

michalotti_tr
09-11-2006, 08:51 AM
I don't care for the redneck/southern hunting humor, but have to admit that the stereotype has been earned by many of my neighbors. I don't hunt, but am an excellent markman (nothing but expert badges in the military & was a member of my unit's match shooting team). I'm a firm believer in both 'live and let live" and "kill only what you're going to eat", which is why I don't fit in with so many of my neighbors. My favorite weapon will always be the M14 - wish I could afford one now. Hard to believe I don't own a single firearm at the moment...

As far as squirrels and other varmits, that's why I have cats in the yard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

coldplugs
09-11-2006, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Has anyone tried the new .17 caliber? I hear that it is an extremely flat shooting, high (for it's size) power "

[/ QUOTE ]

Old guy's view: For this type of shooting it's hard to beat the .22 Hornet although you may need to reload it yourself. Woefully obsolete, I know, but I still like it.

If you really need a fast, flat trajectory varmint cartridge you won't find better than a .22 Swift.

kyreb1862
09-11-2006, 02:50 PM
I've always been partial to the 5.7 Johnson. That is .30 carbine brass necked to .22 caliber. Velocity with a 40 grain bullet runs 3,000 ft per second from the old M1 Carbine action. It makes a nice lightweight and accurate varmint, light game setup but, it is mostly a handloaders cartridge. I guess that is why I like the 5.7 Johnson and British cars. They are both something everyone else doesn't have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

WhatsThatNoise
09-11-2006, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My favorite weapon will always be the M14

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Had a maxed out one I really liked.
Had to give it back when I left the army team. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

I have a black gun w/ the subcaliber device for plinking.
I've had it over 20 years & almost can't miss with it.

(the only rifle I have ever owned)

Mickey Richaud
09-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Back to Bret - here's a candid shot I found of the REAL Bret (see attached).

Keoke
09-11-2006, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gained that little fellas confidence and then shot him! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Keoke
09-11-2006, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder what an 8mm Mauser K98 would do to one?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about the Mauser, but I have a 8mm Lebel by Remington an exact copy of the 1888 French rifle and I know it will raise some H***.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

If he had of used the Lebel he wouln't have known whether he hit or missed--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kyreb1862
09-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Have any problems getting ammo for the Lebel or do you make your own. Used to be a company called the OLD Western Scrounger that could occasionally supply reloadable ammo. I have had a couple of the carbines. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tony barnhill
09-11-2006, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My favorite weapon will always be the M14

Had a maxed out one I really liked.
Had to give it back when I left the army team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I carried one in Vietnam - custom to me after sniper school at Ft benning....hated it when we finally switched to M-16's!

Keoke
09-11-2006, 10:12 PM
No KyReb 1862, I managed to get a good supply of ammo shortly after I obtained the rifle. Having the Kids and it having no safety I used it primarily as an artifact. hanging on the wall, with the firing pin removed. Since I can't walk out the back door, like in AZ, and go hunting here in LA I have not used it much.---Keoke

Keoke
09-11-2006, 10:47 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Tony! the only weapon I know of with an "M" designation worth more en ten cents is the "M 1" an you better keep it clean!.--Keoke

Baz
09-12-2006, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but I have a 8mm Lebel

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that 7.92?

WhatsThatNoise
09-12-2006, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Tony! the only weapon I know of with an "M" designation worth more en ten cents is the "M 1" an you better keep it clean!.--Keoke

[/ QUOTE ]
If we're gonna go ought-six......I'll go with the BAR /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Never fired one but I did pick one up once /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

In fact the heck with em both.....
I'll take a water cooled Vickers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

(not really effective against squirrels....But it'd sure make scaring em a lot more fun)

Baz
09-12-2006, 06:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(not really effective against squirrels....But it'd sure make scaring em a lot more fun)

[/ QUOTE ]

And scaring the entire neighborhood, city and county where you live for that matter.
A set of Ma' dueces /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif would also effectively make any squirrel think twice; and protect against other random vermin such as rhinos and mammoths that happen to wander into a firing arc.

kyreb1862
09-12-2006, 07:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And scaring the entire neighborhood, city and county where you live for that matter.
A set of Ma' dueces /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif would also effectively make any squirrel think twice; and protect against other random vermin such as rhinos and mammoths that happen to wander into a firing arc.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you guys like to this kind of stuff then you need to check out the Knob Creek machine gun show. It's a twice annual live fire show and swap meet at the Old Fort Knox rifle range. You'll love it they shoot machine guns and blow stuff up. The location is West Point, Ky which is located just outside of Louisville. I think the website is www.machinegunshoot.com. (https://www.machinegunshoot.com.) The next show is Oct. 13,14,15. See you there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Baz
09-12-2006, 07:42 AM
I'm heading there next month with my brother before he goes to the gulf (again) been looking forward to this for a looong time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

kyreb1862
09-12-2006, 09:12 AM
I'll be at knob creek on Saturday. Maybe we can meet up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Baz
09-12-2006, 04:53 PM
John, we're planning on the sunday as he flies from STL monday am, 'preciate the offer nonetheless.

Bret
09-12-2006, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gained that little fellas confidence and then shot him! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Naw! At that range I'd use my trusty ol' M1967 collapsible entrenching tool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BoneIdle
09-13-2006, 08:40 AM
I don't use guns to control squirrels, etc. I have a brace of Australian Cattle Dogs. Typically, they don't eliminate the squirrels from this plane of existence; they merely induce the little critters to hang out across the street.My female ( about 9 years old ) likes to catch the squirrels, release them, catch them again, and so on. In case you were to conclude that she's "soft" on varmint control, she's killed to date: 3 copperheads, 1 rattlesnake, and 5 rats. She's scared off one prowler and convinced one drunk, vagrant guy with a knife that perhaps this wouldn't be the right home to invade ( although I'm not sure how invasive it would have been given his state at the time ). The real capper would have to be the time I was visiting a friend in Ocala and her Rottweiler was checking me out. Really, he was just being friendly! My little girl decided she didn't like something in the tone of his voice and the next thing I knew, she had this great, hulking brute backed up in a corner of the kitchen whimpering.

Granted all that could have been accomplished with a gun, but tell me how many guns will lie at your feet at night for companionship or snuggle up next to you when you're in bed ill or look up at you with love and admiration when you feel unwanted and stupid?

On the negative side of dogs, I've yet to see a gun owner weeping copiously when his gun of 15 years has fired its last shot.

The second cattledog is a bit of an unknown quantity: We just adopted him. He has 3 legs ( missing right front ) and is currently still going through his heartworm treatment. However, I suspect he'll be rough on the squirrel population!

I am not anti-gun, though. I keep a Marlin 12 gauge "Goose" gun ( bolt action - 3 shot- 2 in the clip, 1 in the chamber ) fairly near for emergencies for which it's suited.

I grew up with guns and I believe I was about 6 when I first fired a Winchester 30/30. That may have been a late start since I was born in Georgia. One thing my family always said ( father, mother, grandparents, cousins, etc. ) regarding hunting: "If you ain't gonna eat, don't kill it". Having taken that to heart, I've never hunted. I used to love skeet shooting, though!

BTW, if those really are Groundhogs you're killing, you should tan the hides and send them to Banjo. Groundhog hide makes an exceptional banjo head!

michalotti_tr
09-13-2006, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to love skeet shooting, though!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough little critters, but if you boil them they make a tasty stew! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

zblu
09-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Blue Heelers are they Bone Idle?, they are fearless!

BoneIdle
09-13-2006, 11:45 AM
They are definitely Heelers. The female is more of a "red", though. She's definitely fearless in most aspects. Many dogs crawl under beds during thunderstorms, but she tries to get out to bark at the thunder and lightning.
The male is younger, was abused, and is still going through his late teens, so there's no telling what he'll be like a year down the road. Right now he's pretty much a couch potato ( due to the heartworm treatment )

Regarding skeet recipes. I prefer mine grilled and served over a bed of wild rice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Keoke
09-13-2006, 06:09 PM
OH My Gosh Yes. WTN I had forgotten about the 50 Calibre Bar. Just don't let him overheat at night cuz he give your position away with that red nose.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Never mind that Vickers thing the real weapon is the German Lite.A bit temper mental but accurate wow!

BlueRidge1
09-13-2006, 06:35 PM
White Feather aka "Long Tra'ng" A great American. Saved alot of US lives. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

Score! One shot – one kill! Carlos would have been proud of that shot! :thumb

WhatsThatNoise
09-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Couple of years ago I picked up a copy of AeroTrader.....

First page was and original P-51 Mustang for sale that still had fully functioning twin chain guns. (with blank adapters)

Now imagine for a moment you had a private pilots license AND a class 3 federal weapons license.

You could LEGALLY fly that thing around loaded! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Add a bit of insanity & you could sure mess up a church picnic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

kyreb1862
09-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Anybody have any experience with the Jap Arisaka's? I've got (3) of the type 38's. One is a stock carbine that's currently on loan to a local museum. One is a full blown custom chambered in a wildcat caliber 6.5x257. The other is a work in progress and is probably going to be a 6.5x284.

maynard
09-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Skeet are the dickens to clean though.

jlaird
09-16-2006, 05:46 PM
But they are nice and crunchy.