PDA

View Full Version : Modern Dylan

jayhawk
08-31-2006, 07:52 AM
I listened to ol' Bob Dylan being interviewed on NPR the other day and noticed that Borders and Barnes and Noble are pushing his new CD, Modern times. The NPR folks seemed to think he had some really good stuff on this CD and called him clever, said he used symbolism, and that the songs in a subtle manner contrasted the old days with problems in our modern era (or at least words to that effect). Then they they played excerpts from the CD. I could never really get excited about Dylan even though I grew up in the age of protests, love, war, peace, etc. He sounded more like Willie Nelson and I didn't hear much genius. Those of you who know more about him, is he really good? Smart? A real musician? Would this album get better with repeated listening?

michalotti_tr
08-31-2006, 09:18 AM
I won't claim to know more about Dylan, as I'd rather take a power drill to my eardrums than listen to him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif
And since I'm an equal opportunity offender I'll say I've never liked Willie or the Rolling Stones either! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Seriously, I never understood what all the fuss with Dylan was about, and always disliked the way he seems to sing through his nose.

Mickey Richaud
08-31-2006, 09:31 AM
Definitely more poet than musician, at least to me. Those who appreciate him do so more for the lyrics than his presentation. Having said that, over the years, I've come to appreciate his work. "Back in the day" I wasn't much of a fan. Guess he's an acquired taste.

My favorite song of his is "Shelter From the Storm" - actually quoted it in a sermon!

Mickey

tony barnhill
08-31-2006, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My favorite song of his is "Shelter From the Storm" - actually quoted it in a sermon!

Mickey

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me you didn't try to sing from the pulpit, Mickey! hehehe

Mickey Richaud
08-31-2006, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Mickey

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me you didn't try to sing from the pulpit, Mickey! hehehe

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably couldn't have done much damage to the original! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Mickey

tony barnhill
08-31-2006, 10:58 AM
True; but somewhere in my I wanna go "WHEW!"

In a little hilltop village, they gambled for my clothes
I bargained for salvation an' they gave me a lethal dose.
I offered up my innocence and got repaid with scorn.
"Come in," she said,
"I'll give you shelter from the storm."

R6MGS
08-31-2006, 12:13 PM
I never really like him until recently....Bought a greatest hits CD and there is about 3 songs on there that I really like(my favorite is knockin on heavens door), the rest I just skip over. I heard one of his latest songs on the radio yesterday...Wasn't bad, but wasn't great either.

tony barnhill
08-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Wonder if he'd make the top 10 cut on American Idol if he were an unknown today?

PC
08-31-2006, 12:39 PM
Absolutely no way.

If music were food, Dylan's would be a very unusual spice. The flavor is very strong but it's unique and complex. Some may love it. Some may hate it. Perhaps it is an acquired taste.

American Idol is all about musical:
https://images.crossmediaservices.com/dyn_li/200.0.88.0/Retailers/CVS/456608x02_wonderbread.jpg

PC.

William
09-01-2006, 07:14 PM
As stated, more of a poet than a musician. Quite a few of his songs read better than they sing. And quite a few are better when someone else does them (I much prefer the Turtles' version of It Ain't Me Babe to Mr. Zimmerman's) Personally, I think Dylan's best work is on the first Traveling Wilburys record.

-Wm.