PDA

View Full Version : Suspension/steering restoration help

ichthos
08-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Hello,
After I bought my car a year ago (largely in boxes) I was able to get it back together and enjoy progressively longer trips this summer. I still have some work to do on the carbs/ignition system, and I plan to put a top on soon. I figure the next step will be to restore the suspension/steering system. My car is driveable, but much of the rubber is on the way out. There is also some squating in the rear. So, my question is, for those of you that have restored your suspension system, what did you replace, and in what order did you do this? I have a sand blaster and powder paint system. I am not going to be in car show, but I want it to look nice. Is there an order I can do this in stages and still be able to drive it without much down time?
Thanks, Kevin

DNK
08-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Kevin- Do it all this winter. Fairly easy to do and do one side at a time. Are you going to the Portland ABFM on Labor Day?
don

ichthos
08-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Hi Don - I have thought about it off and on. Have you been to the Portland show before? How does it compare to the one in Bellevue? By the way, thanks again for the CD. I didn't really get a chance to look it over that much until school let out.
Kevin

DNK
08-25-2006, 06:47 PM
The show is bigger than Bellevue and not as uppity as them. The best part is the historic races that run along side the car show. One price for all. On sunday is the swap meet and car sales. Monday is a rest day for me.
Don
https://www.abfm-pdx.com/2006/index.htm

ichthos
08-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks, Don. I will see if my wife is willing to go. Maybe we can meet if I do.

Tinster
08-25-2006, 08:48 PM
I suggest first replace the diff mounts w/ urethane
and look for the dreaded busted right front bracket.

Second replace all the old rubber bushings on the
trailing arms including the lever shock to TA bushings.
Change the oil in the shocks while you are at it.
15W fork oil.

Thirdly replace the coil springs front and back at same
time.

Best wishes,

Tinster in PR

Tinster
08-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Here are a few photos of replacing the rear
end rubber components mentioned above.

https://community.webshots.com/album/549568714aDQPPa

Brosky
08-25-2006, 09:03 PM
Wait a minute! I thought that your TR was dead at home??? What's up with the pics at the service center? I hope that they weren't just pushing you around the parking lot when you posed for that picture. Is it finally running?

LastDeadLast
08-25-2006, 09:09 PM
I'll add my two cents worth. Nylatron bushings are the best bushing material that you can get for a TR6. I've had it on my ride for two years. The ride is great, there is no squeaking, and the handling is "new car" tight.

Don't believe the ones that say that Nylatron will cause a harsh ride, I've ridden in TR6's with new rubber, eurathane and Nylatron's got them all beat... the tightness (not to be confused with stiffness) is amazing.

Tinster
08-26-2006, 04:33 AM
Well Brosky. yup dead at home it is. But
we got 67 miles ride distance before it died.
10 miles or so on the new rear bushings!!

Hoping to have it crank up to life in mid-October.

tin

DNK
08-26-2006, 02:16 PM
If adding Nylatron or similiar,add a little anti-seize with it . Won't squek for sure.
don