PDA

View Full Version : My car hates me

08-24-2006, 12:09 PM
As some of you may remember, I've been having trouble getting my car to run after the engine rebuild. I got it to where it ran but hunted at idle, then some part of the electrical system went out and it stopped running at all. New ignition switch didn't do the trick, and I had to go off to a conference, so nothing has been done to it for a couple of weeks.

Fast forward to today: The mechanic who did all the original work is back from vacation. I arrange a flatbed to take it up to him (so if anyone saw a red TR6 on a towtruck on I-95 in CT this am, it was mine). Right before it gets loaded, I drop the hood to push it into the road. I then realise that I want to double check I didn't leave anything in the engine bay, go to pop the hood and the cable pulls out. Of course the emergency release was on the list of stuff still to do.

I swear this car is cursed. Or it hates me...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

michalotti_tr
08-24-2006, 12:20 PM
I can sympathize - Chance has been in restoration for 6 years and it often seems like 'one step forward and two steps back' Just don't give up, you're almost there! At least you know it runs.

It's always the little things at the end that fustrate you the most. When I rebuilt the engine in my son's CRX last year, for the first time EVER in all the years I've worked on cars, the car started the first time I turned it over - I almost fainted from the shock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif My wife thinks I'm a genius, and I'm scared stiff that I just jinxed my restoration of Chance .... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

philknight
08-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Alan, It's always darkest before the dawn(we are talking Lucas here). Phil

fmichaels
08-24-2006, 01:38 PM
alan, thanks for a good laugh at your expense. i am currently rebuilding a sprite and i know i will probably have many days like yours. hopefully yours are numbered and you're on the road in no time. i know your car doesn't hate you ... it's just frisky. fred

jerrybny
08-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Alan, hate is such a strong word. Maybe it just doesn't understand you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

08-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Only in America.
The country where one now has to have a therapist for one's car...

UK therapy = a big hammer and a lot of four letter words

Perhaps it's homesick...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

swift6
08-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Hey Alan, that 'UK Therapy' works just as well here at times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

I had a brand new hood release cable break on me as well right after I installed it. Went to great pains to make sure the cable jacket had plenty of room in its turns, no kinks or anything. I decided to test it and the handle pulled right off the cable when I pulled on it with two fingers. Luckliy, I tested it with the bonnet still up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

08-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Alan,
I have an idea. Once you get the bonnet open, of course.
Why not convert her to RHD and bring her back to her place of birth when you go home again. And sell her!

You noticed that there were a lot of "hers" in there.

I feel for you, lad.

Bill

DougF
08-24-2006, 05:47 PM
I can understand your dilemma thoroughly. Been there. In fact, I just installed my emergency hood release last night. It took 20 minutes. Most of the time was spent finding a 1/4 inch drill and getting the little grommet into position.

08-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Bill, this IS home now.
At least according to swmbo...

I need to buy a bigger hammer I think.

JamesWilson
08-24-2006, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I need to buy a bigger hammer I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

But then, you'll just want one even bigger....

Brosky
08-24-2006, 08:46 PM
I was working in Ct today and missed it. I actually went to see John at Quantum for a few minutes, which is a trip in itself. He is a real pleasure to talk to.

Anyhow, just think positive and let the mechanic sort it out. Before you know it you'll be cruising those NY back roads listening to that beautiful exhaust rumbling away....

R6MGS
08-24-2006, 09:05 PM
If I had a nickel for every time I accused a car of being cursed.......

vettedog72
08-24-2006, 10:40 PM
I think P Knight is correct, you are on the verge of an up cycle; night is darkest before the dawn etc. You are an uplift to your readers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JamesWilson
08-25-2006, 06:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think P Knight is correct, you are on the verge of an up cycle; night is darkest before the dawn etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif
This sort of thinking can be a jinx!

Just when I tell myself things can't get any worse, and better times are ahead.... well, you can guess it turns out differently.

I'm a pessimist.

That way I don't mind being disappointed when my expectations are wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

vettedog72
08-25-2006, 06:25 AM
I thought jinx was a cat?

swift6
08-25-2006, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm a pessimist.

That way I don't mind being disappointed when my expectations are wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that the same as being Scottish? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

08-25-2006, 10:18 AM
No thats parsimonious, not pessimistic.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

swift6
08-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Ahhh! Most Scots that I've met tend to be pessimistic AND parsimonious. I guess I need to get to Scotland more and meet some optimistic Scots. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Or is that just me being Pollyannaish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Harry_Ward
08-25-2006, 11:43 AM
"UK therapy = a big hammer and a lot of four letter words"

Sorry but you do not have the corner on that...My five pound hand sledge worked wonders on my 3. When I couldn't get the front right over rider and bumper to align after three hours of being nice...Well lets just say the car and I have an understanding now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Harry
CT

ScottTR6
08-25-2006, 02:32 PM
A single malt smoothes everything out!

jsneddon
08-25-2006, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My five pound hand sledge worked wonders on my 3. When I couldn't get the front right over rider and bumper to align after three hours of being nice...Well lets just say the car and I have an understanding now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I don't know how they managed it but somehow they engineered 3 chrome pieces and about 8 bolts on a piece that IS HANGING FREE IN SPACE to be absolutely infuriating to put on. Somehow I managed to do it in 3 hours without a sledgehammer...

JamesWilson
08-25-2006, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A single malt smoothes everything out!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

And a double single malt is even more effective. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I'm partial to a nice Aberlour, or Laphroaig, or Bunnahabhain, or Bruichladdich, or Lagavulin, or....

the only problem is that even when I'm completely sober the names are nothing but trouble....

swift6
08-25-2006, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm partial to a nice Aberlour, or Laphroaig, or Bunnahabhain, or Bruichladdich, or Lagavulin, or....

the only problem is that even when I'm completely sober the names are nothing but trouble....

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with that list... and I completely agree about the latter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

mrv8q
08-25-2006, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything named "Glen" is allright with me!

4aKen
08-26-2006, 03:41 AM
My TR hates me, cost me money whenever we try working on one of her many problems but we always fix and make up eventually. Now my Ex wife....

JamesWilson
08-26-2006, 06:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My TR hates me, cost me money whenever we try working on one of her many problems but we always fix and make up eventually. Now my Ex wife....

[/ QUOTE ]

Too many loose screws?

Her wiring's faulty?

You look at the later models covetously?

Nothing a BFH couldn't fix... or "adjust" a little....