3. Not seeling any other items.
4. The sellers name seems familiar.
5. 5,000 miles (after restoration).
6. Full payments within 3 days.

Just curiuos what others think.

Patrick

ronzet
08-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Might be. I assume this is on eBay? Just ask to come by and see the car regardless if you are in the area or not, and see if the story aobut the location changes.
I found an AH on ebay that said it was in a suburb of NY. I asked if I could have a freind come by and see it. THe story changed that it was actually in England and he would have it shipped to me, free of charge. This was a STUPID scammer. Unfortunately, they are not all this stupid...
Caveat emptor...
Ron

Kimberly
08-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Do you have a link to the listing?

JamesWilson
08-08-2006, 06:13 AM
A link would help a lot.

These aren't necessarily features of scams.

The full payment after 3 days is a warning flag.

But is the price unrealistically low and the auction only for a short time? Do buyers have to be "pre-approved"? Are there discrepancies in the descriptions and inconcistencies betweenwhat's said and the photos shown? Is the ad poorly written with grammatical errors and badly used English? If you e-mail do they ignore you, or do replies come from unexpected sources?

There was a series of postings a while back on the typical features of e-aby scams....

GB1
08-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Sorry,

Thought I posted the link

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1954-MG-M...1QQcmdZViewItem (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1954-MG-Model-TF_W0QQitemZ260016794631QQihZ016QQcategoryZ6023QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Patrick

JamesWilson
08-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Its very odd to see this listed as an "Austin Healey" though the rest of the ad seems sensibly written, and the pattern of bidding doesn't seem to reveal a shill at work pushing bids up.

There are 3 days to run on the auction try asking a few questions and see what answers you get.

One thing I do to weed out real from fakes is to politely ask for a phone number and an appropriate day/time to call to discuss the car- fakes NEVER provide it while most legimate vendors are usually willing to discuss things.

The three days is tight for making payment and seems unduly so.

The lack of a selling history is a little peculiar- three purchases in 02-3 and nothing until Feb. this year and then one that wasn't paid. That's the sort of thing you might gently ask about, and see if they've any business references that would vouch for their bona-fides. The best for that might be whomever they've had service the car.

Good luck....

ronzet
08-08-2006, 10:41 AM
GB1,
I agree with James. Thoroughly investigate this. The problem is that it 'looks' legit, but, as James mentioned, a few red flags just seem to pop out.

Just email the seller and ask to see the car. If there is not a response or if the location changes then I would be extremely leary of the transaction's validity.

And, as always, Caveat Emptor...

GB1
08-08-2006, 03:57 PM
I asked him to see the car and he said it was okay, so it must just be miss listed.

I am not interested in buying it, but just found it odd.

Patrick