PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Help

MikeH
08-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi All, Having a hard time removing my TR4's windshield frame. The passenger side post is stuck. No movement at all. been using PB Blaster for about five days now, and no progress. Any sugestions? Wanting to replace the frame to body seal.Thanks, Mike

63 TR4 Surrey Top
71 MGB OD & Wires

DNK
08-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Is the 4 windshield attachment similiar to a 6? If it is keep trying. Is the nut you are having trouble with or is it (the frame) stuck? If the nut is a bugger try heat or a nut breaker if you can get to it.
don

MikeH
08-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Yes,it's similar; I have the nut off, but the frame post is stuck in it's holder. Thanks, Mike

08-07-2006, 05:30 PM
ViceGrip the bracket and start rocking. Others on the forum have suggested slicker methods (try a forum search from months past) but working it back and forth will work.

Bill

DNK
08-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Maybe put the nut back on the post and hit the nut with a mallet to drive the post up. Carefull with this. I usually use 2 nuts.
don

philknight
08-07-2006, 07:02 PM
TR6BILL is spot on. I tried unsuccessfully for longer than I care to admit with various methods. Took all the bolts out of the brackets and did the vise grip trick, turning it back and forth on the shaft. Once it was freed up reinstalled the bolts into the side of the body and the windshield slid out easily.

Brosky
08-07-2006, 09:21 PM
I got lucky when mine was taken out with one hard tug, but the body shop guys were all betting that Bill's way would be needed. They have done several TR's and MG's so they know the drill.

Crisis
08-08-2006, 10:30 AM
I had the same trouble. Vice-gripping the bracket and rocking looks like it would work. I used a brass rod placed on the end of the post (protected with nuts) and tapped fairly hard with a hammer. I understand the frames were put into the brackets when the paint was still wet and that would certainly account for the sticking.