View Full Version : "Special Tools"

08-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Coming from an aircraft maintenance and engineering background we used many "special" tools in our work. Many is the time that we sent un-suspecting apprentices/trainees to the tool store to get them. Examples of this are the left handed screwdriver, the long weight, the skyhook and the 12 inch populating tool.

Anyone here know of any others?

08-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Well, I've sent rookies out for 50 feet of flight line, buckets of propwash, a sawdust pump, self locking paint for propeller tips,(so the pitch didn't run out), left handed monkey wrenches, and metric hammers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

08-05-2006, 09:04 AM
ah ya,"and ill also need two buckets of steam to clean off that engine right away" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

08-05-2006, 01:14 PM
When I was in the Marines we'd send 'boots' out to get "I.D. 10 T" tags, "BA-1100-NS with ST-Rings" (pronounced BA-1100 November Sieras with ST Rings), "Grid Squares", "Cans of Parallax", etc. Of course, we'd send them to other shops for the stuff, and call ahead to continue the goose chase. Occassionally, 'Top' in the Infantry Weapons Repair shop would come across one of these poor souls and give them a quick lesson in 'common sense' with his batton... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif hehehe

08-05-2006, 01:55 PM
A tube of lensatic "for the Compass"
Box of grid squares.
High speed tail light oil.
Rotary oscillating spindle pin.
Hydraulic wiffle bearing.
Bore grease (so the artillery shells will go faster)

08-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Bubble for a spirit level
Tartan paint

08-05-2006, 09:27 PM
I’ve always liked gravel nails. Names for real things can be just as strange. “Hooty Rim” comes to mind.

08-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Hmmmm. Tenderfoot scouts at Boy Scout camp often were sent to get the Left-handed smoke shifter, or ten feet of shore line.
At work we like to ask the new Parts guy for Chrome plated Turbo muffler bearings, or High performance piston pullback springs, A quart of blinker fluid, a quart of "beep", a canooter valve, or I often aks where my "rotate" is, 'Cause The RO says I need to rotate the tires.

08-07-2006, 09:23 PM
In the highway construction business, sky hooks for bridge beams and left handed framing hammers were always popular. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

08-08-2006, 04:02 PM
A punch for brass was pretty common too, though I guess it makes more sense to someone from Northern England?

08-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Did a stint as a medical photog, sent new orderlies to OBGYN to ask the nurse on station for a fallopian tube... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

THAT would result in some hysterically laughing nurse calling the photo lab to find out who the nutcase who sent him was.

08-08-2006, 06:10 PM

08-08-2006, 07:45 PM
I worked around photo labs for years and we'd always send the new guy down to the camera store for "Focus Fluid" if they had a negative that was blurry.

08-08-2006, 08:38 PM
If I was at the counter when those guys showed up I'd sell 'em one of those small bottles of "PhotoFlo" and convince 'em it was the only substitute we had "in stock!" then ask if they wanted "Intensifier" as well (since THAT was already on the shelf in the Yellow Livery!!)..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif