PDA

View Full Version : Which is worse?

jaybird
08-02-2006, 12:37 PM
100 degrees or zero?

kennypinkerton
08-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Happy birthday by the way! Oh, and I prefer it cold, as you can always bundle up... I've seriously thought about making a "cool suit" to wear under my regular suit while standing for hours directing the parking at the funeral home. 100 degrees standing on hot asphault in a suit in the afternoon sucks!

William
08-02-2006, 07:00 PM
I much prefer hot weather. I'm not worried about the car not starting or my fingers sticking to the doorknob and generally don't get sick as often as in the summer. Unless I'm out in the sun all day, hot weather doesnt bother me.

Come to think of it, cold weather doesn't really botehr me much either. It's that zero and below stuff I don't like. Because my car has a tough time starting, my fingers stick to the doorknob, and I'm sicker than usual.

-Wm.

Baz
08-02-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm a Welshman, anything over 65 degrees, I'm inside in the air hiding from the sun. That might be a trait of the submariner in me too.
Dashboards don't crack when it's 45 out.

jaybird
08-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Baz - hiya. I'm about an hour and a half from Springfield, in Columbia. Got a cousin up there in Rochester.

Come down this way in September for our British car show (weekend of the 15-17th!)

coldplugs
08-02-2006, 08:46 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

I'm with the Welshman, except I can tolerate up to 75 if the humidity is low enough. On the low end, if the sun's out and the wind it light, anything down to zero is ok. Below that it's time to head inside and crank the stove up.

Baz
08-02-2006, 08:52 PM
If I can scrape 200 miles out of my decrepid gearbox, I will be travelling with the Lincoln Land British Car Club. Working hard to find the confidence in the midget to get there and back (I'll be taking route 4 and 67, staying off I-55!) and then go to Abingdon in October.
Look forward to it nontheless.
I'll keep an eye out for any BCF members.
There's a bunch of LBC owners in Rochester, where I bought me midget.

jaybird
08-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Baz, looking forward to seeing you! If you'd like me to send you some information, let me know!

Baz
08-02-2006, 09:27 PM
If you wouldn't mind, the STLMG club website (or at least the link I have) appears to be down. All I know is to be at the RR Inn at 8am, a little scratchy to say the least.
We haven't rec'd our info yet, I think our club pres is on vacation or something.
Anyhoo, whatever you know is more than I and will be appreciated; have a date with a driveshaft this weekend, one more step closer to that confidence barrier!

jaybird
08-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Yes, we're in the process of switching something or other over, I don't know the jargon, but had an email from the webmaster yesterday.

Parking lot party Friday night at the Red Roof, then Saturday is the Forest Park Balloon Race, we display the cars by the balloons. Then the Hangar Dance that evening. Show is Sunday.

PM me your email and I'll send you the information Barry.

R6MGS
08-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Love the heat....wish it would stay forever

VitSport6
08-03-2006, 12:20 AM
I say its easier to warm up than to cool down, But I live where we got either temp. 45deg. is shorts weather /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Voted ZERO!

vping
08-03-2006, 09:39 AM
My mom lived in Bermuda for about 5 years and got to visit often. That there was perfect weather, always!. She called on x-mas once from the beach where it was about 85 sunny with a slight breeze. She was in paradise I tell ya.

Me if I had to choose I'd probably take it cooler than hotter. I can always bundle up & shed layers if I needed to. When it's hot, it's hard to shed layers after nekid.

No heat in my bedroom so winter is about 55 to 58 when it's real chilly. Don't mind it a bit.

sideache
08-03-2006, 10:00 PM
I say - it's easier to drive in 100 degrees - if it's 0 there's usually snow or ice on the ground.

JamesWilson
08-04-2006, 05:57 AM
Doesn't hit either extreme here...

Its usually mid-way between them...

Currently 59, expected high 61, low 57; humidity 82%... but at least its not raining... much....

Baz
08-04-2006, 06:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Currently 59, expected high 61, low 57; humidity 82%... but at least its not raining... much....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's perfect, you can always put a thin scarf on and a jacket; 80's and above I cry when I get to a stoplight.
Vinyl seats are evil.

michalotti_tr
08-04-2006, 08:28 AM
I spent my childhood around the Great Lakes, then moved to AR as a teenager, so I think I have a pretty realistic view of both extremes of temperature - I'd rather it be cold then hot. If it's too cold, you can always add another layer of cloths or go inside - when it's hot you can only take off so much.

All that said, I think humidity can be a bigger factor than just temperature! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif (I know, I just started a whole other topic!)

mgblue79
08-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Here in WI I usually get both of those and they both bite it. If I had to choose, I'd take the cold because you can always put on more clothes but you can only take off so much before you get arrested.

JamesWilson
08-04-2006, 12:14 PM
High humidity makes the heat less bearable, but cold and damp is not too "hot" either....

Its precipitation that bothers me. Dry and cold is fine, snow and ice and sleet mean wet and miserable and make hot and sticky look a lot more appealing....

'course, it hasn't been all that hot and miserable here, despite having just had the hottest July since whenever... twenty days in the 70s, or even more! whew! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

https://www.theherald.co.uk/news/66953.html

ecurie_ecosse
08-04-2006, 03:30 PM
I'm thinking some of those Glaswegians took off a jumper and carried it just in case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
70'S sound cool to me,as right now it's 90 something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

JamesWilson
08-04-2006, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking some of those Glaswegians took off a jumper and carried it just in case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
70'S sound cool to me,as right now it's 90 something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It gets above 65 and the number of white (more of a translucent and very pale blue- Billy Connelly has a comic bit on "Scottish Tans") bodies on display becomes positively obscene....

I used to laugh when my wife would talk about "summer sweaters"- the idea seemed almost insane when we were back in Texas....

Sherlock
08-04-2006, 07:05 PM
The colder the better for this guy...

I'm a Canadian and grew up in a cold climate so coping with a cold winter just comes naturally to me by now. We can get have daytime highs mid-winter of -27 Celcius here (never quite figured the conversion to Farenheit), and as low as -34 Celcius at night. That's why we have block heaters in our cars...

And I did spend three years in the hot/humid climate of southern Ontario, now living back home in western Canada (Alberta) I don't miss that aspect of Ontario life one bit

Boiled down to the basics: If it's too hot there is only so much you can take off, if it's too cold you can always put more clothing on

JamesWilson
08-04-2006, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(never quite figured the conversion to Farenheit)

[/ QUOTE ]

For a rough approximation:
multiply the C by 2 and add 30

-27 = -54 + 30 = -24F

For an accurate conversion multiply by 1.8 (or cheat by multiplying by 2 and then subtracting 10%- its the same thing mathematically but easier to do mentally) and add 32.

-27 = -54 (+5) + 32 = -17

Baz
08-04-2006, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(never quite figured the conversion to Farenheit)

[/ QUOTE ]
-27 = -54 + 30 = -24F

[/ QUOTE ]

??????? I'm lost.
That's why I studied History.

kennypinkerton
08-04-2006, 09:03 PM
I guess I'm glad you don't know Lord Kelvin - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

JamesWilson
08-05-2006, 06:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-27 = -54 + 30 = -24F

[/ QUOTE ]

??????? I'm lost.
That's why I studied History.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is converting from a scale where freezing is 32 degrees f and boiling is 212 f (a difference of 180 degrees) to one where freezing is 0 C and boiling 100 C.

Every degree C is the equivalent of 1.8 degrees f.

and the starting point for f degrees is already 32.

So F = C X 1.8 + 32

If its freezing -> 0 C = 0 X 1.8 + 32 = 32 F (check?)
If its boiling -> 100 C = 100 X 1.8 + 32 = 212 F

The suggested approximation simplies for those who can't multiply by 1.8 in their head....

Its reasonable for most temperatures you're likely to encounter- it over-estimates the f temp by a couple degrees in the 70s and by 4/5 in the 90s. Here, where 70s+ aren't that common, its pretty good... where temps vary more, a little more maths may be needed.

Baz
08-05-2006, 07:49 AM
I married an algebra teacher so I didn't have to think about that. 90 is hot, 40 is cold.
On a weather related side note, the best invention for the modern LBC driver is live doppler radar on cell phones.
Nice Healy BTW.

anthony7777
08-07-2006, 02:46 PM
jaybird, i too have found it easier to warm up then cool down ever since i was a weeee anthony, its your birthday? i thought ya hadda be at least 21 years old to join the forum! loved the picts. of ya m.g. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

quibix
08-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Ooh! '48 TC?! Sweeet!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I saw one of these a few years ago down here in Lake Buena Vista. Bright red, and looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor! Red works, as with my bro's Spit done in Chinese Red (almost burgundy). For me, though, it's BRG!

J

R6MGS
08-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks, mines going to be black with a red interior....I'd wanted one since I was 14 and finally got it a few years ago, currently undergoing a concours quality frame off.

I am surprised to see so much 'pro cold' attitude from a bunch of roadster owners. I like it as hot as possible, southern Ontario gets relatively hot summers and cold winters....Too bad the winters last 3/4 of the year.