PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4 gear box question

Alex_McMillin
07-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am having a bit of gear grind happening after my 63 TR4 warms up. When I shift into 2nd or 3rd it will grind if I make a quick shift. If I shift slow, hold down the clutch for a second, it is much better. I don't really know the history behind the tranny and it could probably use rebuilding. Last time I checked the gearbox oil level was ok. Could this be a clutch issue?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

........Cheers, Alex

Geo Hahn
07-31-2006, 04:08 PM
I would start by bleeding the clutch just in case that's all that it needs.

You might 'sit down and take a stress pill' then search the archives for 'broken clutch fork pin'.

Could also be worn synchros in which case a change of lube might buy you some time but will have you into the gearbox eventually.

Kurtis
07-31-2006, 06:54 PM
Do you have a problem with first or reverse? And is the problem on the upshift, downshift, or both?

Alan_Myers
07-31-2006, 07:49 PM
Hi,

Your '63 TR4 should have an adjustable clutch release. Have you adjusted it lately? Should be done annually or every 12K miles, per the service & owners manuals.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Alex_McMillin
07-31-2006, 10:28 PM
Kurtis, I have no problem with 1st or reverse. The problem begins after the car has warmed up and when shifting both directions. Upshift from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and downshift from 3rd to 2nd. There is absolutely no problem shifting into 4th. What's your thinking?

I was also about to bleed the clutch system and make the appropriate clutch adjustments as per the manual. I will let you know if it makes any difference.

............Cheers, Alex

I will