PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 Speedometer problem in transmission housing

Paulus
07-21-2006, 12:09 AM
Recently my speedo stopped working. I have narrowed it down to the drive in the transmission, problem is I do not know how to remove it. I disconnected the cable and noted that the shaft that is in the housing is able to slide up inside the oil seal which I assume is a problem.
Can anyone detail how I can dismantle the assembly and remove the gear?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gifPaulus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

DougF
07-21-2006, 07:35 AM
There is a retaining bolt running into the side of the housing. Remove it and the gear should pull out with no problems.

DougF
07-21-2006, 07:40 AM
I forgot to add that the TR6 uses a plastic gear that often strips if something within the system is hanging up, such as the speedo. Replace your gear, and if it strips out in short order, I'd look at a new cable or speedo rebuild.

Paulus
07-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the reply Doug. I removed the bolt and was reluctant to pull on the shaft too hard, not knowing what I was doing. So I'll go back to it and put a bit more muscle on it!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Alan_Myers
07-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi,

Does your car have an angle drive there, right at the gearbox cable attachment point?

Those are known to freeze up and cause problems (stripped plastic gear or ?). They usually freeze up from lack of lubrication. Kinda pricey to replace, too.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Paulus
07-23-2006, 01:15 AM
No I do not have the angle drive. I have not yet got back to it as I have been in Bellevue WA for the All British. It was very hot 90's but cooler than home by 10 -15 degrees.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif