PDA

View Full Version : If y'er gunna B.S. at least do your homework

KLUTZ
07-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Does this sound familier?

I went out to the parking lot at work this afternoon to get somthing out of the TR7, and returning to the building, one of our contracters asked me, "That your car?" I told him... Uh.. Ya. . .. He then asked the year, I told him 1978 and he then told me he had one just like it before he went to college in 1980. I thought, great... this will be a good conversation. So.. I asked him what year his TR7 was and he told me a 1973. First Bell.. They didn't make them in '73 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif So I expanded a bit and asked him if it was a coupe like mine or a convertable. "AHH No... mine was a convertable," He told me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It was then I decided it was time to leave.

At least he didn't ask me if it was a Ford.

Paul

Mickey Richaud
07-19-2006, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At least he didn't ask me if it was a Ford.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean, it's not? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Saw an MGB for sale at a lot recently - not bad looking, actually. I inquired about it, and the owner of the lot was gushing about what a cream-puff it was. It's a '71-ish model, but has been "updated", according to the lot owner, because the guy who traded (for a Mitsu Eclipse) changed from a mechanical to an electric fuel pump.

anthony7777
07-19-2006, 07:17 PM
mines a 63 bj7 austin healey , i get "gee i didnt know they made a monza top down detaloreo biz zelgoto metura peska floria del mar in that collor" what ya gunna do? any one hear of that one? **** ill buy it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

tony barnhill
07-19-2006, 07:21 PM
You been talking to Keenan, anthony?

WhatsThatNoise
07-19-2006, 07:47 PM
I was early for the Ludington to Manitowoc ferry so I stopped in front of a nice little cafe for some coffee.

A couple in Harley t-shirts strolled past the Elva and the Mrs. dallied a bit to check it out.

Her husband announced that while it looked pretty, It was in fact one of the worst products to come out of the FoMoCo in the early 70's on account of serious rust problems & a unreliable engine.
(In an authoritative, supercilious tone)

DART
07-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Like all the ones who declare that my Daimlers are German from D-B.

tony barnhill
07-19-2006, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not? hehehehehe

R6MGS
07-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Or the guys who ask where I bought the kit to make my MGA.

My all time favorite are the guys who like to correct you about your own car. At a recent car show: "Nice TR6, what year is it?" "`76" "No this isn't a 76 it should have a dash like this......"
Now, maybe I am being harsh, but it takes a special kind of idiot to try and correct someone about their own car.
I just smiled at him and continued whatever I was doing before he showed up.

Nunyas
07-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Unfortunately, there are some owners out there that don't really know though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Basil
07-19-2006, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a guy at car show insist that my Special Sports was German. When I kept telling him, "no, this is an English car," he got mad and walked away, sure that I was full of beans.

Basil

kennypinkerton
07-19-2006, 10:15 PM
I actually sometimes enjoy listening to idiots who talk more than they know. Case in point: I once spent an hour at a gas station listening to a guy tell me how to adjust my twin SU's to keep from running rich - My car is most decidedly a ZS car... I still enjoyed the converstion, and the tips from the guy who had once (20 years or so ago) owned a MGB... But it got crazy with the differences that I never let him in on.

AngliaGT
07-19-2006, 11:16 PM
When people ask me "What kind of car is that?"
referring to my Cortina MKIII,I tell them that it's
a "Yellow Car".
Then I tell them that it's a "1972 Ford Cortina MKIII".
They usually don't ask any more questions!
Also,when they ask me "What year is it?"
I answer (puzzuled)- "It's 2006".

- Doug

Steve_S
07-19-2006, 11:58 PM
I've had so many conversations with people who think they know about cars that I made a web page about them. The best ones usually come from people who consider themselves an expert because they owned an MG 300 years ago.

https://www.mgnuts.com/mg/humor/conversations/

swift6
07-20-2006, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Daimler bit does come from the same gentleman though. After he seperated from Benz and moved to England. At least I think I read that somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/computer.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

kennypinkerton
07-20-2006, 12:18 AM
Lots written about the Daimler 250 roadster in the new Classic Motorsports magazine. Including a history report. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dave Richards
07-20-2006, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When people ask me "What kind of car is that?"
referring to my Cortina MKIII,I tell them that it's
a "Yellow Car".
Then I tell them that it's a "1972 Ford Cortina MKIII".
They usually don't ask any more questions!
Also,when they ask me "What year is it?"
I answer (puzzuled)- "It's 2006".

- Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

sparkydave
07-20-2006, 08:55 AM
I had somebody admiring my car, asking what it was (apparently unaware of the MG badges and the MIDGET lettering on the sides), and when I told him it was a Midget, he said "Oh, so it's an MGB Midget?". No, the MGB was a different model. "Then what's a Midget?". Um, that would be the car you're standing next to.

Better still was the poor lady at the title agency. She filled in the info on the new title wrong, so I almost walked out with a title for an MG Roadster with a "mid" body style. I tried to explain that it's an MG Midget, and it's a roadster (the old title had roadster for the body style). "So it's an MG Roadster Midget". No. "Well, is it an MG Roadster or not?". No, a roadster implies a two-seat sports car, the model is a Midget. "Well, we can only put 2D (two door) for the body style, so what are we supposed to do with the roadster designation?". She had to get her supervisor to approve that it really was okay to put "2D" for the body style, and the model really is a Midget.

kyreb1862
07-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Went into the local Box store auto parts one day and asked for an oil filter for my TR7. The kid behind the counter looked at his computer screen for a minute the said" What model Toyota is that?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

KLUTZ
07-20-2006, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Went into the local Box store auto parts one day and asked for an oil filter for my TR7. The kid behind the counter looked at his computer screen for a minute the said" What model Toyota is that?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

At least your kid had the correct side of the ocean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jlaird
07-20-2006, 11:09 AM
If everyone who said they had a Bugeye years ago had one there would be nothing else on the road. My friend, my neighbor, my inlaw has one in his garage as well in Tampa, Ok City, Memphis, someplace far away.

Hehe, funny folks.

Nunyas
07-20-2006, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've had so many conversations with people who think they know about cars that I made a web page about them. The best ones usually come from people who consider themselves an expert because they owned an MG 300 years ago.

https://www.mgnuts.com/mg/humor/conversations/

[/ QUOTE ]

wow... there was a MG 300? I wanna see one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Steve_S
07-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Guess you couldn't smell the sarcasm over then interweb thingie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Roger
07-20-2006, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Daimler bit does come from the same gentleman though. After he seperated from Benz and moved to England. At least I think I read that somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/computer.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. Daimler himself never separated for Benz, not until he died, that is!
The British comany was founded to import from Daimler-Benz, then sold off and became independent.

swift6
07-20-2006, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. Daimler himself never separated for Benz, not until he died, that is!
The British comany was founded to import from Daimler-Benz, then sold off and became independent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see, that will help clear up some confusion. Still there is a connection. Though I suppose you could say that all automobiles are tenuously connected to Herr Benz and Herr Daimler.

Now Daimlers simply seem to be Jaguars with fluted grills and some extra posh interior.

Nunyas
07-20-2006, 01:32 PM
oh... i smelled it... but i couldn't resist the comment... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Steve_S
07-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Actually there was an MG 1300. Close enough?

Nunyas
07-21-2006, 01:57 PM
sure, but I'm nearly positive that I wouldn't be able to afford it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve_S
07-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Actually yes you would. They are dirt cheap.

https://www.the-thompson-family.freeserve.co.uk/topimage/carimage/mg1300s.jpg

tony barnhill
07-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Doesn't everyone have one?

https://www.theautoist.com/images/mg1100003.jpg

kennypinkerton
07-22-2006, 09:00 AM
I was just about to say... I only want one if I can have a see through engine cover - like Tony's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tony barnhill
07-22-2006, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I only want one if I can have a see through engine cover - like Tony's.

[/ QUOTE ]

That fiberglass/plexi hood is rarer than the car itself! Each US dealer was provided 1 for the showroom so they didn't have to continually open the hood to show customers the hydrolastic suspension, transverse mounted engine & front wheel drive...I'm told there are only about 5 or 6 of them left....the original owner of the car made the dealer give him the hood as well as the steel hood...when I bought the car from him, I was floored when he brought the dealer hood out of his garage.

https://www.theautoist.com/images/mg1100002.jpg

Steve_S
07-22-2006, 01:57 PM
That's cool!!! But you gotta keep that engine really clean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tony barnhill
07-22-2006, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's cool!!! But you gotta keep that engine really clean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - though you can't drive with that hood on the car...when I move it around or outside, I have to open the hood & look through the plexi 'window'...were I to put it on the road as a driver, I'd reinstall the solid steel hood....when my daughter was in high school, she & her friends were forever trying to turn it over - it goes through curves flat because of the hydrolastic suspension....I was constantly getting calls from the MP's about "those girls and that little car'.

R6MGS
07-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Just curious, why can't you drive it with that hood? Heat?

Very cool though

tony barnhill
07-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Yep, heat would cloud/crack the plexi.

Steve_S
07-22-2006, 09:25 PM
You could replace it with Lexan and keep the original piece at home. Or really freak people out and use real glass! LOL!

tony barnhill
07-22-2006, 09:29 PM
When we take it to shows, I let my winch pull it onto the trailer, open the hood & drive to my alloted spot & leave hood open until everything's cool then reverse it all to get it home....biggest problem I have is people wanting to touch the plexi.

wkilleffer
07-23-2006, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't everyone have one?

https://www.theautoist.com/images/mg1100003.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I'd sure like one. I've been wanting an older or unique British sedan (saloon) like that for a long time. Trouble is either finding a car, or being able to afford the car that's available at the time. One of our car club has a 1968 Rover 2000 TC that he's offering for $400 with lots of extra parts. He's owned the car since new except for a couple of years in the 70s. Sounds ok, except that alot of body panels are rusted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif
This is just one of the cars I've found over the years but couldn't get.

swift6
07-23-2006, 10:33 PM
I know where you can get good panels for 2000TC's. They are really neat cars to drive as well. The hardest part is explaining to people that Rover actually made cars. A problem a lot of Rover Sedan drivers have in the US.

Steve
07-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Beware, if the outer panels are rusty, the inner ones will be too. All outer panels bolt on to the P6, even the roof, so it's an easy fix, but the inner panels are a bear to fix. Check around the rear suspension mounts especially. I used to own a Rover P6, and I know whereof I speak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Banjo
07-24-2006, 06:42 AM
My father-in-law used to have an MG1100. He likes to tell the story of arguing with a parts store about owning a 4 door MG
"they never made one"
"Ya wanna bet!"
And ordering a new speedo. He had the parts guy look it up, then he had him look up one for an Austin. Same part #, half the price.
I had a chance to buy a really nice 1100 about 3 years ago for $2500. I'm still kicking myself in the rump over that one.

DART
07-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Ben, you may have saved yourself a big headache. I got a new 1100 right after they were introduced here, and 6 months and 3 trannies later the dealer bought it back to save the warrantee expenses. It would not stay in 4th, something about the alignment w/engine. I got impression then that it was a common problem that the factory was ignoring.
FWIW