PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies

kyreb1862
07-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Always curious about other peoples hobbies. Obviously we have our LBC's but what else is there. My wife and I are Civil War reenactors. I am the Chaplain with the 5th Ky CSA companies D,E&F. Got any other reenactors out there? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

vping
07-19-2006, 07:54 PM
I've dabbled in stamps & coins, woodworking, sculpture...but I always wanted to wrench. Really the only thing that set me free and keeps my attention is the cars. Kids keep me busy enough to limit me at this poiny yo lbc's. Workrd with a guy who was big into reenactments though.

tony barnhill
07-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Who has time for anything other than MG's?

WhatsThatNoise
07-19-2006, 08:00 PM
I used to be a drummer with the 13th Pennsylvania Bucktails.
(The south had better music)

In fact.....I used to have a bunch of hobbies.....

That is....Until I started racing.

Now my roof leaks
My socks have holes in em
And my cat left me

Basil
07-19-2006, 08:27 PM
I run a discussion forum for people inflicted with LBCitis /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I also play piano and guitar and make-believe that I can sing. I collect dirty socks and belly button lint as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
Basil

GB1
07-19-2006, 08:33 PM
and manage a hotel?

SilentUnicorn
07-19-2006, 08:41 PM
there are other hobbies??

mark

53caddy
07-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Well I work at an antique mall. I collect beer steins, beer memorable, military (all time periods). And a lot of more stuff that I cant think of right now.

vping
07-19-2006, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I work at an antique mall. I collect beer steins, beer memorable, military (all time periods). And a lot of more stuff that I cant think of right now.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've got a WWII jap bayonet with pig i'd like to sell. Any tips on pricing it?

mailbox
07-19-2006, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My wife and I are Civil War reenactors. I am the Chaplain with the 5th Ky CSA companies D,E&F.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did yall get to come down to Tupelo for the Confederate reburial? I had to work but I would have like to have seen it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tony barnhill
07-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Tupelo, Mississippi - home of one of the best car museums in the country! Worth driving from wherever to visit it - more than once!

kennypinkerton
07-19-2006, 10:08 PM
I just starting collecting interesting 2 seat convertible cars (2 or 3 years ago - and on a low income budget)... But I also, on occasion, build, and fly radio controlled aircraft, radio controlled monster trucks, build the odd mechanical thing to do some obcsure job that I'd rather not do... I also woodwork (quite good at it actually, and I prefer the more advanced stuff like inlaying, and scrollwork). I am interested in, and have built Tesla coils, electromagnetic devices, High voltage antigravity machines (yes they exist), nuclear technologies, Lasers, Masers, and a whole miriad of other off the wall technologies that can be explored in a home lab type of environment. But I'm very cash limited, so I usualy learn what I can, and then move on to the next study.

Banjo
07-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Hmm... let's see I cave in and drag home all sorts of nearly free vehicles (usually worth about what I paid). When I'm not obsessed with that, I like to build models. Cars (static), planes (static), boats (Both static and RC), and HO scale trains.But that's usually in the winter when I'm stuck inside
I also play Guitar, mandolin, Mountian Dulcimer, and, oh yea, Banjo. Mostley Bluegrass music (if you haven't guessed)
And my biggest outlet for that music is Living history camping. We re-enact the fur trade era. Pre 1840, mountian men. As a matter of fact our clubs summer Rondezvous (campout) is next weekend. I'll try to get some pics and post them.
Intrestingly enough, Our version of living history is the only non- military outfit. I like being able to get away from everything modern for a short time. A camp of several hundred people, all using candles at night, and no unnatural noises (I.E. radios) is a really neat experience, as any reenactor can tell you.

kennypinkerton
07-19-2006, 11:01 PM
Hey Banjo.... I'll swap you - a 1/24 scale 1953 corvette, a model 1969 Ford Musang, and a Johan chrysler turbine... All new in the box for the Jag sedan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

I also have a Level 3 Nascar model, and a 1940 ford model that might be partially done - that you can have too.

R6MGS
07-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Been pretty deep into cars since I was 14....But I have a few other neglected hobbies. Building RC planes, building models, collecting antique furniture and artwork, gardening, and collecting as much old car related memrobilia as I can get my hands on.....Although recently all those hobbies have been neglected due to maintence of hobby number 1!

AngliaGT
07-19-2006, 11:27 PM
I collect - British Cars,plastic car & truck models-
- have many (unbuilt) from the '60's & early '70's.
Volunteer Firefighter,Color slides (my Dad gave me 100's-
- from the '40's,'50,& '60's),old ('60's & '70's) car -
- magazines & books.
I've also gotten into collecting memorbilia from the local ('56 & '57) Road races at McKinleyville,Ca.

- Doug

lesingepsycho
07-19-2006, 11:41 PM
21 year pianist
trumpet
bass
woodworking: current projects
building solid body, neck-through electric bass
rebuilding antique rocking chair
:future project- acoustic stringed instruments
chainsaw carving
balsa airplane building (the BIG ones, currently a P-38 with a two foot wingspan)
scale model building
(I would like to build a scale ship)
mosaics
cycling
flatland BMX
snowboarding

I think I had a lot more too at one point but there's only time for so much stuff before other things get pushed aside!

JACK

Dave Richards
07-20-2006, 01:14 AM
I like to SCUBA, I have a bunch of kids, so I usually take one, or two at a time. Or, my wife lies on the beach while we explore underwater. Been to some cool places.

I also lead an LDS congregation, (Bishop) not a hobby, but it consumes lots of time each week. Very satisfying. (Sorry to mention religion.)

My work takes me all over New England and New York, mostly driving (40k miles a year) and some flying, and I get to poke around some out of the way places, I take some of the kids and we get to see some pretty cool stuff, lot's of classic cars in the summer and lotís of history too.

Done bunches of genealogy (an LDS thing) have some of my ancestors back to 1300's, even one back to the 900's!

aeronca65t
07-20-2006, 05:29 AM
Thre main ones:

~CAR RACING~ (https://www.emraracing.org/)

~FLYING~ (https://www.angelfire.com/nj/ccmdotedu/aeronca.html)

~MODEL STEAM ENGINES~ (https://npmccabe.tripod.com/steam.htm)

I also play around a lot in a machine shop (CNC) and I play guitar (badly).

And, I spend a lot of time with my large family (I'm the oldest of 7 kids). I like to garden and travel when I can.

Banjo
07-20-2006, 06:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Banjo.... I'll swap you - a 1/24 scale 1953 corvette, a model 1969 Ford Musang, and a Johan chrysler turbine... All new in the box for the Jag sedan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

I also have a Level 3 Nascar model, and a 1940 ford model that might be partially done - that you can have too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm let me think, no /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif
hehehehe. I've got the Monogram 53 Vette. The latest version that came with Carrara Panamericana decals even. And the Monogram 69 Mustang. The JoHan Turbine is tempting. I've always wanted that. But I think I'll stick with the Jag for now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Good try.
Most of the models I've bought recently have been Vintage race cars. Mercedes Benz 300 SLR, Corvette GrandSport, Ford GT40, Ferrari GTO, and stuff like that.

sparkydave
07-20-2006, 08:11 AM
My hobbies?

I collect and restore antique radios, mostly the ones with glow-in-the dark technology, but I have an early transistor radio too. The oldest I have is a 1924 Midwest for which I just paid a small fortune to get some working UV-201A tubes off eBay. My favorite is a 1936 Zenith console that a friend needed to find a home for. I also have an Atwater Kent from 1926, you don't see many of those around. I have a collection of old radio programs (mostly The Shadow) that I can play over the radios using a little homebuilt transmitter. They just don't sound right coming over the stereo.

I'm learning piano, and for a while I was playing viola.

I'm an amateur radio operator, and I have a couple of Hallicrafters boat anchors (an HT-40 transmitter and an S-40B receiver) that glow in the dark. Something neat about using old radios for ham radio too.

I make my own beer, and I like to cook. Can't say I have a particular specialty that comes to mind, but most everything comes out well.

I've built model airplanes (flying and static models), and I'm thinking of trying my hand at radio-controlled planes. I also like model trains, and have a growing N-scale set.

My girlfriend got me into gardening. She's an avid gardener, but I've raised a few plants from seed that have done well.

drooartz
07-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Main hobby/passion is music--play bass (electric & upright), mandolin, guitar, piano, sax, vocals, and a bit of drums. In the busy tourist season, I'm often playing a few nights a week with one band or other. Between playing and writing, music takes the most time but at least it pays for itself (and the occasional LBC!).

Otherwise I work on the Tunebug, ride/tour/camp with my motorcycle, mountain bike, hike, and otherwise spend time in the mountains. I've been know to brew beer on occasion as well, though the ever expanding waistline has me imbibing less these days. Ski a bit in the winter, but I don't really like being cold so I don't get out much. With the advent of the race track near here (https://www.millermotorsportspark.com) I am becoming a race fan as well.

Seem to be quite a few musicians here... maybe we'll have to start the LBB (Little British Band) one of these days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DrEntropy
07-20-2006, 04:49 PM
sparkydave wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
I'm an amateur radio operator, and I have a couple of Hallicrafters boat anchors (an HT-40 transmitter and an S-40B receiver) that glow in the dark. Something neat about using old radios for ham radio too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've an old SX-99 Hallicrapters here. And a LARGE collection of vacuum tubes. No reliable tester tho. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Scott_Hower
07-20-2006, 06:48 PM
I'm into audio stuff. Probably have 20 pairs of vintage loudspeakers (most from the Henry Kloss era - Advent, EPI, JBL, older NHT). Too many amps to count. Wife hates all of it, which probably makes me love it even more.

tony barnhill
07-20-2006, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who has time for anything other than MG's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait! I figured it out - construction of the Garage-Mahal...it'll never be finished so long as I'm alive....hehehehe...&, its relaxing!

anthony7777
07-20-2006, 08:12 PM
tony, ya got one **** of a jump on it though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

vping
07-20-2006, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... My favorite is a 1936 Zenith console that a friend needed to find a home for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a Zenith Side chair that works quite well. Small world. It has a 78 rpm, with AM and shortwave. Found it in hte attic and had a repair guy get it running. Just cleaned it up. Did not want to riun it's original patina.

Sherlock
07-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Um... Er... Photography, photography and photography... I know I need to get a life!

But who else gets to do stuff like this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Amanda my first portrait photoshoot ever this past weekend

https://static.flickr.com/51/190449425_95125d336c.jpg

https://static.flickr.com/48/192972319_420500ab0a.jpg

https://static.flickr.com/47/193942941_562c4bf7b2.jpg

And also related to the above, the collecting of old/vintage photos and camera gear

kennypinkerton
07-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Hey Sherlock... I've got a few old camera thing round here... a 1.5x converter lens, and an auto winder for an old (I think minolta, but maybe something else)... a Kodak Brownie box cameran, and a kodak movie camera with 3 lenses... interested?

DrEntropy
07-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Sherlock... a minor bit of technique for the "environmental portrait" stuff: Grab a piece of foamcore (white) to use as a reflector. It'll open up the shadows nicely and not have the "fill-flash" look to it. Nicely done, BTW.

swift6
07-21-2006, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sherlock... a minor bit of technique for the "environmental portrait" stuff: Grab a piece of foamcore (white) to use as a reflector. It'll open up the shadows nicely and not have the "fill-flash" look to it. Nicely done, BTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif Fill is your friend. Foam core is cheap and works just as well as the expensive expanding reflectors (although those do compact nicely). BTW Photography is also a big part of my life. I freelance as well as consult (amongst the multiple other job titles I hold.

my photo (other life) website can be found here photo web site (https://www.shawnjamesloseke.com)

I have a commercial art degree (applied science of Photography) and BFA (fine art photography). I'm looking into options for MFA(Photography) currently. Thinking of doing an MFA equivalent in Europe. Possibly going back to Italy where I did my BFA thesis. England is also big on my list (for obvious reasons). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

DrEntropy
07-21-2006, 12:03 PM
DO IT!!!

I earned my bean money for the first half as a Photojournalist/photographer. Even the military used me for it (I proved to them I knew what sodium thiosulfate was for). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Still half-arsed watching for that Pulitzer wot's eluded me all these years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My remaining F2 looks as if it had been dragged around the planet as a pull-toy. F3 not much better. Can't justify going digital now, as the photo part of our business has fallen to a "once-in-a-while" position.

I'm still just another panderer in reflected light images at heart, though.

Winston
07-21-2006, 12:41 PM
I was a drummer (I guess I still am)in a couple of rock bands. My Yamahas are still set up in the basement with a canvas painters tarp over them. They are probably dusty and for sure out of tune.
I also dabble in Oil painting, mostly outdoor on canvas.
I've always wrenched, but I am probably a better drummer than mechanic.
Oh by the way I've always found the Beatles covers, (alot of B sides) were much more intricate than they sound. Some quite challenging.
And they say Ringo can't play. Listen.

Sherlock
07-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Hey Doc...

We were trying to harness the sun (on a very sunny day), a friend with far more experience than me was helping out. And it was my first time after all...

@Swift6

Very nice photos and nice website, I'm not quite that pro yet... You can find my mass of photos at https://www.flickr.com/photos/sherlock77

tony barnhill
07-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Bet we've got enough musicians to start our own band...I played trumpet, coronet, flugelhorn for years in a big swing band!

swift6
07-21-2006, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet we've got enough musicians to start our own band...I played trumpet, coronet, flugelhorn for years in a big swing band!

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything like Chuck Mangione?

tony barnhill
07-21-2006, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish...I do own a Bach Stradivarious big bore cornet & a wonderful flugelhorn...& a custom made trumpet with offset 2nd valve & 44 bell & larger lead tube...don't play any of them anymore...need to start again - or sell tjhem!

swift6
07-21-2006, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish...I do own a Bach Stradivarious big bore cornet & a wonderful flugelhorn...& a custom made trumpet with offset 2nd valve & 44 bell & larger lead tube...don't play any of them anymore...need to start again - or sell tjhem!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Sorry Tony, you just lost me with all of that. The closest I came to 'musicianship' was a wee bit of Guitar, Piano and Violin at a wee age. Then I found out about cameras and cars. Now I just prefer to listen. Bit of an audiophile you see.

swift6
07-21-2006, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

@Swift6

Very nice photos and nice website, I'm not quite that pro yet...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just keep at it. Make every trip of the shutter a learning experience.

One of my mentors had a saying and its important to follow the advice in order. Here it is... "Have fun, be creative and follow the assignment."

Sherlock
07-23-2006, 01:05 AM
Thanks Shawn... I've heard similar advice before, and it's all equally valid. Now I just need the patience, seems rather elusive sometimes. And like Doc I'm still waiting for my Pulitzer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

drooartz
07-23-2006, 09:36 AM
Don't sell your horns, Tony. The only thing I really regret selling in my life was my old Bari Sax, a 1940s Conn 12M with a huge sound. Sold it to a full time musician friend, so it's in good hands (and I can borrow it to play when I want), but I often wish I still had it. Even if all you do is look at them every now and then, they're still worth having around.

wkilleffer
07-23-2006, 08:02 PM
I like electronics, old tube radios when I can fiddle with them, and old Apple computer equipment. I'd like to get one of the recent G4 iBooks, as they've gotten cheap with the intro of the new Macbooks.

Wrenching on cars is just another way to take stuff apart. My confidence level is still a bit low. Recently, I discovered watchmaking. With the help of a friend in the business, I've been able to bring a few vintage pocketwatches back to life, and hope to be able to do the same with wristwatches eventually. Would like to do that as a full-time or sideline business, but it takes some professional certification to be taken seriously. All fine and good except that I can't do it right now.

About the time I started my previous job, I bought a Soviet 35mm SLR out of curiosity, and carried it with me on most of my trips starting in July and running through December. Some of the pics turned out pretty good, even though my intention was to preserve my memories of the experience. I'd like to get some slower than 400 film as it seems to offer the most adaptability for that camera, a Zenit 12SD. I'd also like to get it some more lenses, preferably Soviet.

I'm trying to teach myself how to play the guitar with limited success at this point. But there's alot to distract me right now.

Sorry to have gone long here.

vping
07-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Drummer here. If we are starting a band, let me know.:-]

jsneddon
07-24-2006, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool - We've got a start on the brass section at least. I've got a Shilke with interchangeable bells but I haven't played in years too. Did the big band stuff, college marching band, and I even used to run around in Liederhosen playing in polka bands for beer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Don't sell em. You'll regret it. I had a Flugel that I sold to pay the rent one time and I've kicked myself ever since.

tony barnhill
07-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Wonder how many of us played in the marching band in college?

jsneddon
07-24-2006, 03:14 PM
LOL

Wonder how many of us know what a "Saluki" is....

tony barnhill
07-24-2006, 04:12 PM
"Saluki"...isn't that one of those weird looking dogs?

jsneddon
07-24-2006, 04:39 PM
yeah. the "Marching Salukis" of Southern Illinois University

aeronca65t
07-24-2006, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wonder how many of us played in the marching band in college?

[/ QUOTE ]

High School.
Trumpet.
I still have bad dreams about J.P. Sousa (playing it....listening to it is fine).

For a great site with online guitar lessons, go here:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/

kennypinkerton
07-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Trombone here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Actually with all the band players, and computer programmers, and people with excellent knowledge retention... I'm wondering how many of us were geeks, nerds, etc. in High School? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

donbmw
07-24-2006, 08:38 PM
I played the Trombone and Souasphone in High School. Other hobbies over the years RC cars, Boats and Motorcycles. Still riding BMW Motorcycles. Need to get current with my flying. The wife and I started doing Stained Glass as hobby and it has turned into a part time job. If anyone one is interested in a stained glass version of thier car or anything else let me know. My web site is www.reagarstainedglass.com (https://www.reagarstainedglass.com)

jsneddon
07-24-2006, 09:37 PM
uh Kenny????

duh ???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nunyas
07-24-2006, 09:44 PM
hmmmm... hobbies... as of late, I think sweating is my hobby ... so dang hot around here lately. Uhm... seriously though, I dabble with various things, from 3d modelling, to working on my B (duh!), to minor wood working when I have space and tools available, to home and car audio stuff, to being a general technology geek, and part time gear head... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

mgblue79
08-04-2006, 10:16 PM
My primary hobby is still my wife. After that would be beer and guns, never together, though. I also have been working on a dark comedy I hope someday to turn into an animated series...maybe after the kids move out of my house and the wife is tired of being my favorite hobby.

Steve
08-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Painting.......and it's been a few years since I last picked up a brush. Keep meaning to, but there's always something to detract from it.......

sideache
08-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Since I'm an illustrator, I can't say drawing and painting - that's my job. www.cliffcramp.com (https://www.cliffcramp.com)

Besides my cars, I would have to say woodworking. I enjoy building and restoring craftsman/mission furniture. I'm currently writing a screenplay. I've done enough concept work for other writers - why not write one myself.

Baz
08-05-2006, 07:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since I'm an illustrator, I can't say drawing and painting - that's my job. www.cliffcramp.com (https://www.cliffcramp.com)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's some impressive stuff.

Basil
08-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Great work! Thanks for sharing.
Basil

Mickey Richaud
08-05-2006, 09:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Painting.......and it's been a few years since I last picked up a brush. Keep meaning to, but there's always something to detract from it.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Great news, Steve! Our house is in dire need of a repaint. When can you be here? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Mickey

racing girl
08-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Well... let's see.

Number One on the list is a volunteer worker at Waterford Hills Race Track (https://www.waterfordhills.com) during the racing season. But other things I really enjoy are kayaking, running, backpacking, camping and mountain hiking. I've hiked up and down mountains from Texas to Turkey, and a fair bit in between! I also love to travel.

I'm an avid genealogist (whoever posted earlier about the LDS....thankyou! I couldn't do without it!), and I'm often accused of spending more time with the dead than the living! I enjoy gardening, especially when I can grow from seed, and I love a good book.

RG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

jackq
08-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Boy do I lead a boring life....work...work...more work.So once I got that figured out, my wife and I have decided its time to sell the VW resto business as soon as the last customers cars are completed. Then start selling off the VW collection but keep the English stuff, the 911s, our 65 Mustang, her bug vert, motorhome etc. Plus get back into flying, have owned numerous planes. So I guess I'll go from making money from working on vehicles...to just working on them and making nothing!! Our second hobby is flying between New Mexico and Cooperstown NY to maintain our way too large home there.

Steve
08-06-2006, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great news, Steve! Our house is in dire need of a repaint. When can you be here? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Mickey

[/ QUOTE ]

Take me a loooooong time with the brushes I've got! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

WhatsThatNoise
08-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Is this the new Humor forum???

......So a hooker walks up to this guy just minding his own business and says...."For $200 I'll do anything you want".

Guy says OK.........Paint my house.

zblu
08-07-2006, 05:55 AM
SCUBA diving/Instructing, keeping myself poor and in the doghouse with Great Danes, restoring an old Healey, and building a road registered beach buggy just to keep the spanners from rusting!