PDA

View Full Version : How to remove a Decal??

Tinster
07-18-2006, 08:10 PM
The PO did a terrible job putting on the car length, black, multi-striped decal- sold by TRF, I think. I would dearly like to remove it; as it is an eyesore. The TR6 has a decent clear coat on it over red paint.

Anyone have any experience in removing this decal??
Thanks in advance,

tinster in PR

Kurtis
07-18-2006, 08:23 PM
You might try a heat gun... or maybe even a hair dryer would work. I've had success in the past removing decals this way.

Geo Hahn
07-18-2006, 09:21 PM
You might ask at an auto body (paint & tools) supplier. I recall there is a wheel-thing... sort of like a big disc eraser... that is used for this. May also be a 3M product that can be used.

jsneddon
07-18-2006, 09:23 PM
hair dryer will definately work. I've got an uncle who is insane about decals and badges on any car he buys and the first thing he does when he drags em home is peel off everything.

The trick is to pull firmly but very close to the fender and try to pull slowly at a 90 degree angle away from the fender. Pulling straight back OVER the decal (essentially folding it over itself) "feels" like the right way to do it but you'll eventually tear it. Be patient and keep the temp up with the hair dryer right at the connection of the sticker and the car and you'll do just fine.

Heat it on the end with the hair dryer and try to get a fingernail under it or if that doesn't work then gently use a razor blade to get it started.

Just grip it as evenly as you can with your fingers and don't be tempted to use pliers. Steady even pressure is your friend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

R6MGS
07-18-2006, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hair dryer will definately work. I've got an uncle who is insane about decals and badges on any car he buys and the first thing he does when he drags em home is peel off everything.

The trick is to pull firmly but very close to the fender and try to pull slowly at a 90 degree angle away from the fender. Pulling straight back OVER the decal (essentially folding it over itself) "feels" like the right way to do it but you'll eventually tear it. Be patient and keep the temp up with the hair dryer right at the connection of the sticker and the car and you'll do just fine.

Heat it on the end with the hair dryer and try to get a fingernail under it or if that doesn't work then gently use a razor blade to get it started.

Just grip it as evenly as you can with your fingers and don't be tempted to use pliers. Steady even pressure is your friend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

The DPO of my MGB LE put the LE striping on not only crooked, but backwards! I removed it easily with this trick. NOW! applying the new decal is where the fun begins.

Andrew Mace
07-18-2006, 10:24 PM
WD-40 is also supposed to be good for removing decals.

jsneddon
07-19-2006, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
WD-40 is also supposed to be good for removing decals.

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

OK. I agree somewhat. WD-40 will be good after you get it off to clean up any residue. But to pull it off completely I'd try it clean with heat.

Lemony-based stuff called Goo-Gone is really good too for the 'after the fact' cleanup. NOT Goof-Off that you find at HomeDepot in the paint section. GOO-GONE.

Tomster
07-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Our sign guys use cleaners that have high orange oil content in them. These generally will lift the residual adhesives. TEST FIRST though!
Float decals into place with soapy water sprayed from an old spray(windex or whatever)type bottle. Squeegee excess air bubbles and water out once your happy with the position of the decal. presto done!

jerrybny
07-19-2006, 11:23 AM
I've heard of people using lighter fluid. Not the kind for charcoal but the type for cigarette lighters. Never tried it myself though. But will have to remove a decal in the future. The PO put the british flag around the TR6 label on upside down. Got that pointed out to me this morning while on my way into a hardware store.

dklawson
07-19-2006, 11:26 AM
I'll echo the hair dryer method described above. It's always worked for me even on old vinyl.

Tinster
07-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Thank you one and all!!

The hair dryer technique works perfectly. Slow and steady, right angle pull required.

Now I will contribute my 2 farthings worth. The DW-40 oil does in fact remove the decal adhesive left behind but ever so slooowly and with much rubbing required. I tried industrial grade grease remover Xylol on a small test area.

Adhesive gone in an instant. Almost no rubbing cloth contact with the paint surface required. And a brilliant shine left as well. Wear rubber gloves, the Xylol burns one's skin after a bit. Smells dreadful-- costs about $12. per gallon in most paint stores. A great grease and oil remover for general cleaning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

martx-5
07-19-2006, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... The PO put the british flag around the TR6 label on upside down...

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif How can you put a British flag upside down. They look the same either way... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

Popeye
07-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Just a comment... beware a heat gun might generate too much heat.

I was removing some bondo with a heat gun, and the paint bubbles as well.

07-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Absolutely not true - see this for an explanation
https://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/geography/unionjack7.html

jerrybny
07-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Exactly. thanks Alan

jsneddon
07-19-2006, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just a comment... beware a heat gun might generate too much heat.

I was removing some bondo with a heat gun, and the paint bubbles as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. A hair dryer is much more gentle.

martx-5
07-20-2006, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW, learn something new every day. Boy, that is a subtle difference that I never noticed. Thanks for setting me straight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Geo Hahn
07-20-2006, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A flag can be flown upside down because it has 2 sides... but if you take a decal of the Union Jack and rotate so it is upside down... won't it look hte same as when it was right side up?

Tomster
07-21-2006, 08:44 AM
Ever noticed your flag (yes, the stars and stripes) when it's applied on bus' or planes?
Have a look some time
One side is usually reversed (stars in top right corner)

jsneddon
07-21-2006, 09:40 AM
now you're making my brain hurt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

dklawson
07-21-2006, 11:38 AM
I feel really dense. I'd never noticed that the Union Jack was not symmetrical. Thanks for that bit of information.

Geo Hahn
07-21-2006, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
now you're making my brain hurt...

[/ QUOTE ]

...and I threw my back out holding the monitor upside-down to be sure it looked the same both ways.

Paul Johnson
07-22-2006, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I tried industrial grade grease remover Xylol on a small test area. Adhesive gone in an instant. Almost no rubbing cloth contact with the paint surface required.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had good luck using plain old rubbing alcohol.

Also, this thread brings up the issue of precise language.
Decals and stickers seems to have become interchangeable terms, but they are very different items, and require different handling. Just like to point this out now and then, as someone might use a procedure for one on the other. Ever put a sticker in a bowl of water and expect it to work?