PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire spitfire not starting, cap and rotor

Joe_Pinehill
07-18-2006, 06:45 AM
After trouble shooting my Purple wiring, i tried starting the car, and it wouldnt start! I changed the distributor and rotor and started right up!. Niether the cap or rotor looked that bad. The wiring set fairly new. Ive never had a car that sensitive to cap or rotor. Is this typical of Lucas?

billspit
07-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Yes it is. When I got through rebuilding my Spitfire it would not start. Everything was new. Finally found out it was either bad points or condenser. Both were Lucas from a very reputable supplier.

guzzul
07-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Sounds a little weird.

I notice billspit's post and I could understand condenser or points, but your '78 is electronic (I presume).

To verify, why not go back and replace the rotor with your old one. See if it starts. If so, try the new rotor, old cap combination. If both those work, and old-cap, old-rotor still don't work....well I dunno....lucas....

Andrew Mace
07-18-2006, 07:08 PM
In fairness to Lucas, they don't actually make a lot of the stuff that is currently sold under that name. Further, any original "points type" distributor in a Spitfire would've been Delco. There's always been a load of really crummy points, condensors and rotors made for that distributor...and a few good bits (Bosch used to package some nice stuff, as did Standard/Blue Streak).

Dave Russell
07-18-2006, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In fairness to Lucas, they don't actually make a lot of the stuff that is currently sold under that name.

[/ QUOTE ]
If Lucas allows their name be put on junk they are still responsible.
D